Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 11:43

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default You say "tomarto" and I say "tomayto"

Spare a thought for your country cousins across the pond.

We have lots of lovely vegetables and foods which we know by completely different names.

Most carb counters and sites like fitday are difficult if you do not know what things are called. Further complicated by us not knowing what a cup is either!

I know that aubergine is eggplant for example but are there any expats out there who might know what north americans call:

Mange tout or their big brother sugar snap peas?
Swede?
gooseberries?

None of which are on fitday.

Anyone got any more?

I wont bother anyone with marmite just now.... its mystery shall remain with those in the know

Last edited by rustpot : Thu, Jan-10-02 at 11:55.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 12:05

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I can help you with a few, Rustpot

Chickpeas are also called Garbanzo beans (and I know fitday has those)
Swede is a rutabaga
gooseberries are just gooseberries as far as fitday is concerned ..? (I found them there.. type in "goose" and its halfway down the page)
Mange tout (lol "eat all") are snow peas over here.

HTH
Nat

P.S. thanks for the inadvertent chuckle - your subject line brings to mind a skit I saw with Christopher Walken "you say tomato and I say tomato" (tomato pronounced the same way both times)
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 12:17

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%

Thanks Nat

I was found under a gooseberry bush so thought it had to be somewhere
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 13:14
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb

warning about snowpeas and fitday ... I nearly had a "fit" the other day .. tried to enter snow peas, got nil, nada, nuttin' for results. Finally figured out it's all one word, no space .

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 13:44

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Fitday can be very tempermental about things like that. I have started just typing in the first part of what I am searching for (like 'goose' for gooseberries} and letting it do the work for me.

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 13:49
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Thumbs up

Kewl idea, I'll do that from now on. Will save a lot of frustration.

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 17:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187.4/173.8/140
BF:
Progress: 29%

Could you also tell me what a graham Cracker is- not that I am eating them on this WOL but I have always wondered as they are in so many recipes. Are they like our digestive biscuits? Also is a Cantaloupe melon the same as Rock melon?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 17:53
Registered Member

Plan: FatLocity (as of 10 March 02)
Stats: 291/276/175
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Had the same problem with prawn.

Ha.. I had the same problem with prawns. Despite what Paul Hogan might have said, we Australians NEVER call them shrimps.

A prawn is a prawn is a prawn! regardless of how big or small it is

I have been wondering what daikon is?

Cheers
Kim
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 18:03

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%

http://www.nabiscoworld.com/HoneyMa...ttractions.htm?
small picture at the top, and you can view their commercial too!!

http://www.freshdelmonte.com/produc...fm?produceid=22
hope this helps!!
regards,
brenda
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 18:17

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default daikon

Kim, this link is for you.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=27349

Check out Doreen's great information on a Daikon.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 21:20
Pending Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 314/306.6/299
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Graham Crackers

Quote:
Originally posted by eebee
Could you also tell me what a graham Cracker is- not that I am eating them on this WOL but I have always wondered as they are in so many recipes. Are they like our digestive biscuits? Also is a Cantaloupe melon the same as Rock melon?

Ahhh...one of my favorite (pre LC) snacks! They are similar to digestive biscuits, but thinner and not as crumbly. You can easily substitute digestive biscuits in recipes though (except Smores - a toasted marshmallow, a piece of hershey's chocolate sandwiched between 2 graham crackers. The digestive biscuits will fall apart in that situation).

Rock melon = cantaloupe.

And I still can't get used to "prawns"! :-) I still call em shrimp!! LOL

Also - anyone know where you can get daikon in Oz? I can't find them anywhere and I really like them.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 02:13
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 178/150/150
BF:
Exclamation Graham Crackpot

Quote:
Originally posted by eebee
Could you also tell me what a graham Cracker is
Graham crackers are a testimony in themselves of the religiosity that always has permeated food science in northern America. Graham crackers are inherently linked to the low-fat creed. William Sylvester Graham was a Protestant preacher who was the most famous advocate of a quintessentially American food movement that arose in the 1830s and 1840s that linked calls to avoid foods that deemed deleterious by science with strivings for “moral purity”. Their so-called scientific background was derived from the ‘vitalist’ theories then circulating in France. Graham opposed alcohol, —~later expanded to sexual activity, consumption of meats and spices~— on the basis that it sapped the nervous system’s vital force, “leaving the body prey to disease, debility, and death” adding a scientific dimension to traditional moral-religious prescriptions for sexual prudery and vegetarianism. Consequently, his followers set up the nation’s first health food store to sell unbolted ‘Graham flour,” thus the “Graham crackers”. Amongst the followers of the Graham diet were none but Henry Thoreau, Charles Finney, and… Joseph Smith. By the 1890s there was a reaction against the excesses of food lavishly imitating the French style. The “New Nutrition” food reformers tried to convert not the upper or middle-class from beefsteak to beans but the working class. They also advised them that most fresh fruits and vegetables were “wasteful extravagances. They were particularly afflicted by the apparent profligacy of Italo-Americans on this account. Enters Dr. John Harvey Kellogg, whose medical credentials were described as “unimpressive and scientific ones nonexistent” a direct heir of Graham’s ideas who became director of a Seventh Day Adventist-owned vegetarian health spa and managed to turn a virtually moribund institution into a trendy health spa catering to a clientele of non-Adventists who were convinced that its cures reflected the cutting edge of nutritional science. Many of Kellogg’s ideas were simply Graham’s dressed up in modern garb. Kellogg added to it, however, succumbing to the dangers of masturbation. Kellogg also had an obsessive fondness for the “purifying” virtues of enemas. Beneath it all, the Protestant strain of moralism persisted, along with its concomitant—guilt, which is not surprising given that food has now replaced sex as an object of guilt. It is to the “good” doctor Kellogg we owe the cereals…
<br><br><div align="center"></div>
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 03:43

Stats: 187.4/173.8/140
BF:
Progress: 29%

Wow! Thankyou I certainly learn a lot here. I knew about Kellog but not about the whole history of this movement. Most interesting and food is still a moral issue I think! And people become born again and evangelical about their chosen diet! (not here of course which is peopled by highly intelligent, knowledgable and tolerant folk!! )
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 05:45
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

For information from an entertainment point of view you could watch the movie "The Road to Wellville"

Elihnig
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 00:51
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Great post Bill!

Wa'il