Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 10:22

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%
Default MD wants statins added to drinking water

OH MY GOD.

Some of us have joked that they'll be adding statins to our drinking water some day. Well, folks, an idiot with a medical degree has actually suggested that very thing.

Appropriately enough, his name is Dr. Reckless.

I am not making this up.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3931157.stm
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 11:06
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Dr John Reckless, chairman of Heart UK and a consultant endocrinologist at Bath University, put forward the case.

Hmmm.... Is his named an indication of his idea?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 13:01
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Actually, it sounds like a very good way to stimulate debate AGAINST adding statins to drinking water.

(Does anyone actually drink tap water anymore?)
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 13:19

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Default water, water, everywhere

Don't forget, if this stuff goes into the water supply, you WILL drink it. It doesn't matter if you never fill a glass with water from the tap and drink it down. Most other beverages you can drink are made with water from our water systems, so don't think that because you only drink coffee, tea, diet sodas, or whatever, that you could avoid this.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 13:38

Plan: generic low carb now
Stats: 210/212/145 Female 63
BF:plenty
Progress: -3%

What pharmacutical company sponsors this guy's research? Since when do they think thay can medicate a population without their consent? I think I stil have free will over my own health. A Dr. can recommend statin treatment and I am free to refuse his recomendation (which I would). Who could refuse to drink water? What's next, Prozac? Something else to make us more sheep-like?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 14:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 139/129/115 Female 5'3"
BF:30/?/20
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Since when do they think thay can medicate a population without their consent?

They do it all the time with vaccines and I won't be surprised if they use this argument to add statins to water.

I do drink tap water, it's pretty good where I live, better than some of the bottled stuff. Plus, I find it silly to pay the outrageous price they ask for plain bottled water.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 15:03

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:

I wouldn't worry about it. They will never do it, as was pointed out, there are too many side effects to consider wholesale medication, such as he suggest. Just the fact that he suggested statin-free water for babies shows how ridiculous his ideas are.

It's just some lunatic idea that will never go anywhere.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 15:22

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Angeline, never say never. With the complacency of the population in general, this kind of thing could well happen. Most people (not on this board by any means) are very complacent about the government, their doctors, and other "authority" figures. Sure they may question little things, but if this were put properly, it would go over. Look at flouride. The precedent has already been set.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 15:27
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

They'll never do it, not when statins are ruinous to certain peoples' livers. As was pointed out earlier on the thread, once it were added to the water supply it would become impossible to avoid totally. Even the nanny-state UK government is not going to take that kind of risk. Hell, they don't even have fluoride in the water over here.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 15:39

BF:
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholian8
They'll never do it, not when statins are ruinous to certain peoples' livers. As was pointed out earlier on the thread, once it were added to the water supply it would become impossible to avoid totally. Even the nanny-state UK government is not going to take that kind of risk. Hell, they don't even have fluoride in the water over here.

The problem is that most people don't know how dangerous statins are. And even when they do, they take them anyway -- my dad is one of those, and I am convinced that statins are actually why he can't achieve a decent ratio, his HDL is way too low and won't go up even with low-carbing and eating plenty of fat.

The press around statins has been so skewed that even the report cited in this thread claims health benefits when the makers have to state on their websites that there is no proof statins prevent heart attacks.

Even in the UK, where they have started selling this stuff over the counter -- before the US mind you -- it could/will happen. If the medical/pharmeceutical community pushes hard enough, it will happen.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 16:05

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Wow...then we all would have another reason altogether to not drink the water in another country!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 16:36

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I was one of the people who campained against putting the brain killing chemical flouride in our water...we won, there is no flouride in the water in the UK and generally the water is of excellent quality. You are guarenteed to be able to drink tap water anywhere in the UK.

The would be no chance of putting anything in our tap water .

Are you saying you Americans actually allowed them to put flouride in your water?

Also vaccinations are done with our or a parent's consent.

I'm amazed at being able to buy them over the counter though. This is a country where you can only buy aspirin in bottles of 16 because they are afraid you are going to top yourself!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 16:47

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:

No, but there is a certain amount of arm-twisting in that children are not allowed to start school unless they are up to date on their immunizations. The only exception is that if the parent states that they will not immunize their child(ren) for religious reasons.

Quote:
Are you saying you Americans actually allowed them to put flouride in your water?

I don't believe anyone ever asked the American public if they wanted fluoride in their water...they just did it. I've seen articles in recent years, though, questioning the wisdom of that decision since you don't need to actually ingest the fluoride to get the benefit of strengthening teeth with it...simply swish and spit (or brush with fluoridated toothpaste).
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 17:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFletcher
I was one of the people who campained against putting the brain killing chemical flouride in our water...we won, there is no flouride in the water in the UK and generally the water is of excellent quality. You are guarenteed to be able to drink tap water anywhere in the UK.

The would be no chance of putting anything in our tap water .

I'm amazed at being able to buy them over the counter though. This is a country where you can only buy aspirin in bottles of 16 because they are afraid you are going to top yourself!

Yes, our water in the USA has been flouridated. Some communities got it banned, some that got it banned, like mine, allowed it to be reintroduced.

But we also have a lot of communities with very bad water. I use a water filter because our water is so chlorinated that I gag when I try to drink it straight out of the tap.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 16:54

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I'm talking about the UK where kids can start school with vaccinations or not. I presume you're talking about the USA? The our in italics your our, not your. One of my uncles died as a direct result of vaccinations many years ago. My grandfather was involved in a subsequent court case which did away with any conpulsion to have kids vaccinated in this country.