Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 23:38
I beat you, Tanita!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/130/130 Female 5'2"
BF:13% lower now...
Progress: 100%
Default Yikes... so much sodium, so little tuna!

I admit that I never looked at sodium content before Atkins, but I just finished reading the label on my can of tuna and I'm pretty shocked. I never realized tuna had so much sodium. A 6.5 oz. can with 1 tablespoon of mayo and 1 teaspoon of mustard is 755 mg of sodium!

I'm wondering if I've missed the sodium content on other foods, too. My friendly tuna salad turns out to be higher in sodium than a huge beef stick!

I just looked back over my day and I realize that without the tuna salad snack that I'm eating right now, I'm at 2,100 mg of sodium for the day. This is putting me over the RDA, but still way under on carbs. Does this kind of thing bother you? Or do you just stick to counting carbs and let the salt granules fall where they may?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 00:02
Registered Member

Stats: 203/182/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

I try to watch my sodium when I can, just because I have a horrible problem with bloating and it's just plain uncomfortable. And when I do have more than normal, I try to drink extra water (and just expect the scale to reflect the bloating).

But I don't stress all THAT much over it. There's just so much I can worry about as far as my food intake. And I don't want to know how much salt I was eating before; frozen dinners and fast food are LOADED with sodium, and these days I eat very little of either.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 05:35
based on real events

Stats: 198.5/190.5/135 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 13%

I think we do need more salt when we are drinking more water, and some days when I am eating very simply, I don't consume any salt. But I am still letting it come from dietary sources rather than the salt shaker these days, so surely I am getting less. ! I will have to keep my eye on it on fitday! (oh and I also buy reduced sodium bacon! Taste is not so overwhelming!)

An interesting side affect of this WOE is that I can taste so much better! So I can really taste the salt in my cheese strings. This goes for sweetness for me too. Consequently I enjoy my food now (most of the time), rather than just eating to fill my stomach up! Who knew I would like food again??
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 06:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 226/186/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

At this point, I don't stress over salt intake. I drink so much water w/ this WOE (over a gallon a day) that I know a lot of it flushes right out of me. When I get closer to goal, perhaps I'll start watching it, but as of now I'm just concerned w/ carbs, calories and healthy food choices.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 06:24

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 149/138/132 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 65%

There is a low sodium tuna, I buy it at Giant Market.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 06:28
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

That's why I only have tuna as an emergency meal. Meaning when I've run out of food and need to go shopping and there's nothing else to eat but Tuna.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 09:10

Stats: 190/159/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

You can also get the "Lite Salt" which is potassium instead of sodium for seasoning your foods. This is a good way to supplement your potassium, too, especially if you're prone to leg cramps.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 09:14

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

I know I need to watch sodium. I had tuna salad yesterday and was up 2# today. I didn't bother to change stats because it will be gone again tomorrow. Water, water and more water today!

No more processed food for me. I hate the bloat that almost inevitably follows.

Julie
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 09:40
I beat you, Tanita!

Stats: 174/130/130 Female 5'2"
BF:13% lower now...
Progress: 100%

We don't have Giant Market, but I think I'll check out low sodium tuna. I'm really prone to water weight and large fluctuations on the scale. I need to start reading labels a little closer.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 10:20
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I stopped worry about sodium when I found that only about 10% of the people with high blood pressure are sensitive to sodium.

Anyway, my blood pressure is perfectly normal!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 10:25
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

I don't look at sodium. I know before I started Atkins and tried doing low sodium, I would get pitting edema in my feet and legs. Haven't had any swelling since starting, and I LOVE salt.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 11:39

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I once bought one of those new tuna in a foil packet rather than a can thingys...

...I can't recall right now what the sodium count was, but it was way the heck up there!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 12:00

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I just don't worry about sodium. A lot of the salt scare occurred in the 1980's and most of it has been disputed by more recent medical research. Sort of like the egg thing.......

Salt does cause me to retain water so I drink extra water. And in Florida, we sure sweat enough to need it .

Orchid