Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: How many pounds did you gain back after one day of cheating?
None 38 17.51%
1-2 pounds 66 30.41%
2-4 pounds 62 28.57%
5 or more pounds 42 19.35%
I lost pounds. 9 4.15%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

#46   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-04, 16:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/173/175 Male 70 in
BF:
Progress: 107%

I split a piece of cheese cake with my wife on Tuesday and lost 3 pounds since then. Who knows why???? I was worried that I would stall, but didn't.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Jul-18-04, 21:01
Registered Member

Plan: low carb
Stats: 150/135/120 Female 5 foot 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Yesterday I ate at the Olive Garden, lots of bread sticks and lemon cream cake for dessert. Then I went to the mall and had pretzel and a Bailey's milkshake. It wasn't even that great tasting, but once I started I couldn't stop. I woke up this morning 4 pounds heavier and also feeling a little depressed...I know it is from the sugar. Well...no more sugar for me...it's back to induction to clean out my system.
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Jul-31-04, 20:57

Plan: none atm. bfl mostly
Stats: 128/115/103 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 52%

not sure whether its cheating or not but havent been on strict routine (at all) for probably a month...gain 1 pound as of today

Last edited by dazzlin182 : Sat, Jul-31-04 at 21:09.
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 09:01
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think there's a world of difference between cheating and binging. Having the occassional dinnertime cheat meal or high starchy carb/low fat carbup keeps me focused on my WOE. It's one meal and then back to LCing. I don't tend to gain from these.

Bingeing is an entirely different beast. An "all out" eat whatever I want all day will do nothing but damage for me. One day turns into several and I can't stop. This pattern packs on the pounds. I personally find that restricting calories (even by 250/day) or my quest for perfection with my eating sends me into binges. So I try to not stress over the odd "controlled" indulgence.

YMMV

Wanda
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 12:07

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

I have a cheat day once in awhile, usually when its a special occasion! Then I jump right back on to LC the next day, I have a goal in mind, so its making sure that, that one day isn't going to affect you. Pretend like it never happened and move on like your didn't eat anything bad!

I look at this WOE for the rest of my life, its not temporary cause I don't want to imagine ever being fat again! So, why rush something that I know is going to take time!
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-04, 17:03

Plan: Syndrome X - Atkins
Stats: 201/193.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:36/32/21
Progress: 12%

My system is so sensitive that my weight gain is nearly instantaneous. I gain a couple of pounds over night! It isn't worth the fulfillment of the desire. It is not a physical need, so it is not really worth it!
  #52   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-04, 18:53

Plan: Body for Life
Stats: 168/123/135 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 136%

I have a free meal or two every Saturday and haven't gained with it yet. But that's part of the plan I am on (BFL) so I don't consider it a cheat.
  #53   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-04, 22:19

Stats: 150/150/125 Female 5'4"
BF:49/24/??
Progress: 0%

I have never had a whole day of cheating, I don't think I could, once in a while having a slice of cake or an ice cream cone with my daughter is all I can handle.
  #54   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-04, 22:47

Plan: modified
Stats: 166/164/145 Female 5'9"
BF:flabby/to/firm
Progress: 10%

So this is how it was for me. I was on induction for around eight days and lost around umm..8 pounds. Immediately after that I went to visit my family in AZ and I ate oatmeal/chocolate chip cookies, had a burger and fries with teriyaki sauce, and had some chocolate cake. I tried not to eat like this for every meal so I kept breakfast low carb, and some other things low carb.

When I weighed myself, I was at the exact same weight. Last week I had a IN N OUt burger and fries. It did nothing. It's actually kinda weird if I compare myself to the poll.

I started strict induction yesterday and I've gone exercising. Around three times in the past four days.

Today I weighed myself and I was 156.

I don't know if this is normal or not. Anyone else like me?

I don't plan on cheating though any time soon. I get excited when the pounds start going away
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Aug-17-04, 04:24

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 164/119/120 Female 168 cm
BF:
Progress: 102%
Post none

No pounds gained back! That's why I can't stop cheating sometimes....but I used to eat just small amounts. And not too often!
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Aug-22-04, 09:43

Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:have no idea
Progress: 89%
Default Cheating = feeling like $hit

The last time I cheated, was a late night how-much-sugar-and-processed-food-can-I-cram-down-the-old-gullet-episode. I work late (8pm to 2am) as a hostess at a piano bar, so by the time I get off, I'm famished again. I try to go home, and just make myself go to bed.. but there's a 24 hour doughnut shop right on the way. And it just stares at me, sadly, if I drive past. How cruel is that. So you know, you can't eat doughnuts alone. They need a side of Ice cream, which is weird, because right next to this 24 hr. doughnut shop, is a 24 hour grocery store. So you see where I'm going with this. My point is that the last binge or "cheat" I had, was just that. THE LAST. I woke up the following morning, WEIGHING 5 whopping lbs more!!! One week of Induction, and I'm back to what I weighed before this cheat. And that morning I literally felt as if I'd drank a half gallon (at least) of tequilla the night before. It was the worst HANG OVER I'd ever had, and it was from a doughnut. HM. So, my point is, if you're really going to cheat, just know that you'll most likely feel like throwing up for the next few days, and you'll weigh more. Is it worth it? UM no. Plus, the cravings come back 10 fold, and there you are, right back where you started.
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 21:44
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 280/204/160 Female 67inches
BF:
Progress: 63%

NONE! and i have cheated a lot!
may of stalled me, but never gained.

the reason i cheated was.....i was out for a few days in my mans semi, and i ran out of my food, so, the truck stops dont have much lc, and i had a raving toothache so i ate some ice cream, chips, dip and taco bell.
  #58   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 10:10

Stats: 140.5/121/120 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottalozer

the reason i cheated was.....i had a raving toothache so i ate some ice cream, chips, dip and taco bell.

tee! hee! that surely has to be the most creative excuse I've ever heard for a cheating binge!!

typically I gain 1-2 lbs for a one-time binge, usually gone the following day if I jump right back into Induction. Cheating doesn't have a 'hangover' effect on me, though. I feel just the same, but maybe a bit bloated in the face, hands and feet

the LC WOE causes me to retain much less fluid, I can feel and see the difference
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 22:04

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlGeek
So, basically what I'm hearing is that it just stalls you, or puts on water weight. Doesn't seem so bad.

I still can't decide whether or not to do it!!

Don't! I thought surely 1/2 cup of my favorite ice cream wouldn't hurt, after all, I have completed Induction, lost 12 pounds, and thought a one time planned treat couldn't hurt! Well, I am on day 4 of my stall and I had gained three pounds this morning and hate it! Defintely not worth it! And the ice cream made me sick. So, think hard before you do it and expect to pay. Even if it is water weight, I feel it wasn't worth it. Checked the scales and my weight APPEARS to be going back down. I officially weigh in the morning so we'll see. If you do want to plan a treat then make sure it is a LC treat made with Splenda! That way, the stall may not be so bad! I picked probably one of the worst things: Strawberry Cheese Cake Ice Cream! Also realized that the preservatives in the stuff made me sick as well. Had a bit of a rash after eating, which never happened before! My husband said he thought that happened because I had gone 14 days without all those preservatives on a daily basis and so it was a shock to my system. All I know is that I don't crave any of the stuff that I used to love! Well, I do think a bit about air popped popcorn with butter! Does anyone here eat it every once in a while and still lose weight?

Last edited by MissScruff : Thu, Sep-09-04 at 22:06. Reason: Spelling
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 03:52

Stats: 180/164/140 Female 5-6
BF:
Progress: 40%

To me, it looks like, the further you are from your goal weight the more pounds you gain back by introducing carbs back into a low carb diet.

I was strictly low carb since May, lost about 20 lbs, then stalled for 3 months at 160. I really lost motivation in low carbing and began to eat bad carbs again. (fast food, snack foods, fried shrimp, sweets) I didn't gain a pound and just stayed at 160, however, I did feel sluggish and upset with myself for straying. So after 2 weeks of that I decided to go back to 15-20 net carbs a day. Within 48 hours I dropped 3 pounds.

Honestly, I don't see a problem with what I did because it seemed to get me back on track. I took it as a learning experience. Some people (especially on this board) are very conservative when it comes to low carb, and frown at "cheating".

Do what feels right for you. You'll know if your are not happy with the decisions you make about what your are putting into your body. If its wrong, then stop and try something else.

p.s. I have just found the greatest little low carb shop here in Memphis. They carry zero carb breads, pitas, and bagels. Not sure how good they are, but I had a turkey and ham wrap today the owner prepared that was absolutely wonderful. The bread had the best texture (better than regular bread), in my opinion. Plus, alot of stuff imported from the middle east. Apparently, most of the ingredients used in middle eastern dishes are low carb from what I gathered from the owner.

Now I am all excited because I am going to be learning new ways of preparing my food. That is what makes low carb appealing to me. Its a completely new way of eating altogether.

Good luck to you!

Last edited by Chas : Fri, Sep-17-04 at 03:55. Reason: Typo