Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 12:41
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Question Induction to OWL

I was curious about When someone goes to OWL. Some stay on Induction indefinitely. Some a month, some only two weeks. How do you know its time to move on? Bordom?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 13:31

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

I plan on going to OWL after another week of induction. Probably up my carb intake to around 25 or 30 depending on which my system can handle more evenly.

I think many go to OWL when they get bored with the limited menu of 20 carbs a day. Dr Atkin's says two weeks but he doesn't say, don't stay on it for more than x amount of weeks.

So not really sure. I haven't gotten his new book, I wonder if he addresses it there.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 14:03
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Same as he said before, but with more elaboration. I highly recommend that anyone following Atkins get his new book. Ignore his support of his own products though!

From the New New DANDR...

What OWL Does For You:
  • continue to dissolve and burn fat
  • Maintain control of your appetite sufficiently to control cravings
  • learn your threshold level of carbohydrate consumption, which will allow you to continue to lose weight
  • eat a breoader range of healthy foods, selecting those that you enjoy most
  • Learn to make the most nutrient rich choices among carbohydrate foods
  • Deliberately slow your rate of loss in order to lay the groundwork for permanent weight loss management

I've deliberately bolded the last point. Why be in a hurry to lose weight if when you reach your goal, you've learned nothing about the management aspects of maintenance? In other words - you blow it!

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 14:23
Everyday Sane Psycho

Smile Agree with you, Karen

I wanted to slow my weight down, but I added too many carbs and stallers to my diet. I have given up coffee... yep I did it well at least for 10 days now
I also realize that I need to keep track of the carbs and not just "guess" like before. I plan to write down my carbs and keep track at how many I eat a day.
What I would like to do is loose 50 more lbs rather quickly. I have Sleep apnia and my doctor is threatening surgery!
He promises to retest me at 250 to see if the sleep problem is deminishing... After that I want to lose only 2 a week at the very most. I need time to get used to being smaller! I want to adjust to eating carbs without over doing it, if you know what I mean. I figure that takes time.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 14:41
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Have you ever used fitday.com Lessara? It's a great way of keeping track.

Another thing that might help you with a "plan" is this link:

For Newbies - Carb Counting and Label Reading

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 11:31
Everyday Sane Psycho

Unhappy Fitday

I don't have a computer at home and I don't have time to use it at work... however... I do have a great Food book that you mentioned on the site you provided. So I've already started a common food list as discribed (Wow like minds!) I want to be sure I'm eating the carbs I'm suppose to. (I think that's what tripped me up before). My roomate has made an excel program for me to keep track... now that is support!
I figure this will help also when I'm adding 5 carbs (which I plan to do every two weeks) till I get to 30. Then I am staying there (I found before I lose weight at this number - 2lbs).
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 22:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 297/264.5/180 Female 5'8
BF:3rd/attempt/toLC
Progress: 28%

Reading this post, made me kinda think that I should really be tracking my carbs a little more closely...I've kinda been guess working it...I've been bad....I'll start at my Fitday....tonight!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 00:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

I stayed at Induction levels for a couple of weeks afterward, then increased by 5 and kept it there a couple of weeks. For me, one week really isn't long enough to see how my body is going to react to the change. I'm on 30 now and will probably stay there until New Year's, depending on how things are going. That amount is good for me because most days I get most of my vitamins from foods, not supplements.