Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 18:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154/154/140
BF:
Progress:
Question I need Help please

Hi everybody, my name is magy, this is my first posting, please be patient with me as i am new to all of this. Today is my first day on the program, my ? is can i have full cream milk in my tea and can any body tell me what and were can i get Carbohydrate-free artificially sweetened powder for making fruit-flavoured drinks from in the UK Looking forward to a reply.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 03:03

Stats: 147/126/119
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Hi!

Woo hoo! Thought I was on my own up here! Hi Magy! I live in Sunderland so I'm not too far from you. Unless there's another Peterlee that I don't know about...!

I'm not an expert (far from it!) but I'll try to help & I'm sure someone will shout up if I get something wrong!

Firstly, welcome to the site. You'll find it's really friendly here & you'll get loads of help.

Secondly, to answer your questions:

1. No milk. Cream is ok but it's awful in tea. Guess it would be ok in coffee if you can drink it. Some people say you should cut caffeine out as it slows down your weight loss, but Atkins reckons it's ok, just not in massive quantities (and I used to drink tea in massive quantities! ) I found I had to do without anyway, as you have to drink so much water. Do drink the water, by the way- at least 2 litres & more if you can manage it. It seems a lot at first but you'll get used to it & you'll feel so much better for it! I find now I can't drink tea with milk, & use a couple of sweeteners instead. Even then, I hardly bothered but I find a cup of tea when I get to work in the morning is the only way I can get started these cold mornings!

Diet drinks are also ok- when I have a sweet craving sometimes I have a can of diet coke- but you can't replace the water with that. In fact, you're meant to drink the same amount again in water, if you see what I mean.

2. I think we'd all like to know where we can get carb-free artificially sweetened powder for making fruit-flavoured drinks ! If you have a look through the UK site you'll find references to the protein shakes but they're really expensive, very hard to find (Holland & Barrett might stock them) and from what I hear, not worth the effort.

Do you have the Atkins book? I do, but sometimes it's just better to share things on line. As I say, everyone here is very helpful but you should try to get a copy if you don't already. I hear there's an updated copy coming out soon so you could wait for that- either to buy the newie or to snap up a copy of the other more cheaply! Vitamins you'll need too.

I'm sure you'll have many more people offering help, so I'll leave it at that. At the moment my main advice is to DRINK THE WATER!!!!

Good luck & post again soon!

Daisy

#3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 07:26

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%

Just to put the milk thing in pespective.

Skimmed milk has more carbs than 2%
2% has more than whole milk
The cream is at the top of the carb low list (and the bottle) and is best.

However there is only 0.7 carbs in the amount of whole milk that you would put in a 6oz teacup/mug.

So, provided you factor that in, and you must have that first cup of tea in the morning, you haven't lost to much.

But, on induction you are trying to eliminate as many carbs as possible. It is hard because they lurk everywhere.

I switched to coffee which is fine with cream for the first two weeks. I was also giving up sugar. When I went back to tea after induction I used and still use whole milk. It was the only way I could drink it.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 14:28

Stats: 154/154/140
BF:
Progress:
Smile

Hi Daisy, thank's for the advice, i see what you mean about not having time to have a lot of tea to drink, by the time you drink 8 glasses of water you feel water logged. I am taking one multi vitamin tablet a day, do you think this is ok or do i need to take something els as well ? I have a Atkins book which i went out and bought today.

I have been thinking about getting the compleat Atkins plan from the shopping channel on TV, or do you think the book is just as good as there is a big difference in price, if you get what i mean.
Looking forward to a reply.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 08:50

Stats: 147/126/119
BF:
Progress: 75%

Hi Magy! Good for you on buying the book- it'll help a lot. There are some recipes at the back too which might help- the chicken curry is lovely!

I've never seen the Atkins plan as I don't have the shopping channel, but I can't see why it would be any better. You have the book & the multivitamins, & you don't really need the ketostix- is that what the pack contains? Once you get used to it (day 10 of induction for me, I think) you'll be fine, so stick it out!

I take a multivitamin every day & also an oil of evening primrose capsule as I had problems with my period for the first couple of months. It seems enough for me, though my boyfriend also takes a couple of vitamin C tablets. It really depends on you! Some people also take psyllium (that's probably the wrong spelling! It's for constipation I think) for instance. Have a look in Holland & Barratt, or if anything is bothering you, like constipation, dizziness, that kind of thing, post here & we'll try to help. The other sections of the forum are great but mainly American, so we can't always get the same stuff over here!

How are you doing on the plan? I haven't noticed you posting on the introductions board or anywhere- have you looked around?

Take care, Daisy

#6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 10:14

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%

I bought the plan £59.95!

It was only then that I saw the book.

The ketostix I can buy at my local chemist. They are made by Bayer and are around £5 per box. I think this is a worthwhile buy.

The videos and tapes do not really add much to what is in the book.

Far better to buy another book....Protein Power by Dr Eades.