Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Which diet do you follow?
Atkins 211 58.94%
Body Opus/CKD 2 0.56%
Carbohydrate Addicts 25 6.98%
Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution 4 1.12%
Insulin Control Diet 1 0.28%
Ketogenic diet 2 0.56%
Mayo diet 1 0.28%
Montignac 1 0.28%
Neanderthin 0 0%
Paleolithic Diet 1 0.28%
Protein Power 28 7.82%
Schwarzbein Principle 13 3.63%
Sommersizing 2 0.56%
Stillman Diet 3 0.84%
Sugar Busters 5 1.40%
The Zone 6 1.68%
Non low-carb diets 1 0.28%
Other (own combination) 52 14.53%
Voters: 358. You may not vote on this poll

#16   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-01, 08:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%
Thumbs up

Thanks all. I needed to hear the postive stuff. I suppose with anything one must read all and as you say wa'l ......research to learn more.

I got worried I guess with the negative responses I was getting, and then not having enough knowledge on Dr. Atkins WOE to have a comeback I suppose.

The best thing to do I think would be to keep quiet for now on this, read, and do it. Then listen to the responses I get when weight is coming off and staying off!

Your terrfic for support folks

Wendy
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-01, 22:04

BF:

Wow, whats with the flame?

Wendy
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-01, 22:16
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by numberonewendy
Wow, whats with the flame?

Wendy

You mean the little light bulb? It simply tells if the author is oline or offline.

Wa'il
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-01, 02:07

BF:

No not that. When you go to click on a thread and there is an envelope to the left side. This one has one, and its on fire????

Wendy
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-01, 08:57
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Oh that

The burning envelope reflects if a thread/discussion has many replies, and has been viewed a lot, as in "hot" topic

Wa'il
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Mar-13-01, 12:50

Plan: Zone
Stats: 179/155/149
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default No Worries

Numberonewendy,

It's true, the low carb scenario requires time spent in the kitchen making stuff from scratch, but the rewards are so good. I spend a couple of evenings a week fixing meals for the next three days, and haul around a lot of Tupperware

I'm on the Zone program, which allows a couple of glasses of wine a week (wine is a carb after all). I reward myself on the weekend, but stick to the meals/snacks every four hours (the bedtime snack is *mandatory*, which should help with those cereal cravings...)

You fill up on salads (with avocado) and grilled vegetables. It helps to develop a taste for broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, mushrooms, sweet peppers and onions. They sweeten up nicely when baked in olive oil and low salt soy sauce. If I'm craving a carb I'll throw in a couple of baby potatoes.

I've been doing it for three weeks, 6 pounds and 4 inches. It works. The main thing is you have to be religious about going no more than 4 hours without eating fat, protein and carbohydrate in the right proportions. (The book is excellent and spells out the units for each type of food). Avoid rice (white or brown), pasta and bread (white and whole grain - only whole grain rye is acceptable), bananas, corn products (you'd be amazed the amount of corn syrup goes into processed food) and high glycemic fruit juices. Grapefruit is my best friend (but don't buy one of those Starfrit thingies, they suck...).

I had company this weekend and loved the french fries (OK in extreme moderation!), but became nauseous and wired after eating pastries and cake and drinking tea with sugar. My body has already adjusted to the cravings, and I find myself rejecting stuff like milkshakes (tooooo sweet) and other sugary things.

I could not wait for them to leave so I could get back to my eating plan this week...

Good luck, and try reading the book. The offerings are a bit more varied than most diets, and you won't go hungry.

#22   ^
Old Wed, Mar-14-01, 17:21

BF:

Well Mrs. Yogi,

Your not kidding on spending more time in the kitchen. The pots and pans etc.... My stove is actually getting stained...LOL

I'm over my first week (5 lb loss), but concerned now as I move along. I truly am already running out of ideas for cooking simple, and really getting fed up with Salads. I knew this was going to happen due to me not liking many veggies.

I have been looking over the reciepes posted and even have a low carb receipe book here at home. Yet I still find myself disappointed as I don't carry all of the ingrediants they call for. I thought I had all the spices in the world...LOL

The receipes I do see that I may think, mmmmm....I can do that as I have most of that here, will then call for wine, brandy...etc... Makes me think, oh for crying out loud, thats not normal cooking! LOL

Anyway, still hanging in there but feeling a bit blue due to women's problems. Maybe next week will be a better one

Thanks for the encouragement....always welcomed and appreciated.....

Wendy
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-01, 19:42

Plan: my own
Stats: 196/165/150
BF:
Progress:
Default i follow my own plan

*Less than 20g of carbs a day ( i usually go for under 10)
*Never go hungry and starve myself i always have 4 meals a day
*Drink more than 5 pints of water a day
*take any opertunity to get a bit of exercise like a walk to the shops, i used to drive
*NO BEER

Thats what i do, if anyone else can add to that and give me some advice, wonderfull.
14 pounds 14 days!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-01, 18:05

Plan:
Stats: 153/149/130
BF:
Progress:
Default CAD

Hi Sandra,

I too have started on the CAD. I am hoping to lose at least 15 lbs. Get discouraged when you weigh in and you find that you have gained or stayed the same. I have to remember to wait until the end of the week and do the calculations. Have been on it for 2 weeks now and have lost 4 lbs. I am sooo hoping that this one works. Tired of fighting with my weight.
By the way the book reads you can have ANYTHING that you want in the "Reward" hour. So, I am eating what I want. If this truly works. I Know I can do this for life.
Let me know how you are doing.....
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-01, 18:09

Plan:
Stats: 153/149/130
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandra
Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I did Carbohydrate Addicts diet last summer, but stopped when I was diagnosed with low thyroid disease.
Now on medication for over 6 months, I thought I'd start it up again to lose 15 lbs.

Hope to find some good support here!
Blessings....Sandra
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-01, 18:23

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

i've recommitted to atkins induction. i'm on day 2. so far to good. it's the weekends that do me in. i have a couple of drinks with my husband and the sweet cravings click in. i realize now that the fermented sugar in alcohol is making me crave sugar. as long as i stay away from sweets the better. so, i'm not going to drink on the weekends with dave anymore. at least not till i get this woe back under control. i'm posting my daily menus at trulylowcarb and i'm hoping that will keep me honest.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-01, 12:28

Plan: Zone
Stats: 179/155/149
BF:
Progress: 80%
Talking Beer!

AtshushiOnita,

You are so right about the beer! Don't they use it to fatten up livestock in some countries? It's a grain, after all.

I stick to a little red wine on the weekends. Maureen, what are you drinking? I know wine makes me want salty stuff, so I get to combine it with my bedtime snack, which is usually nuts, olives and a bit of fruit.

Beer always makes me want chocolate. The sweeter beers, like Heineken (my very favourite!) REALLY go well with chocolate. But I've never met an obese Dutchman. What's up with that?

NumberOneWendy, cooking can be therapeutic. Salads don't have to be boring... although I guess being in Ontario in winter you don't have a lot of fresh selections. poor baby!

There really isn't any way around the veggie issue though. Gotta have 'em if you wanna lose the flab...

I made a salad the other day and threw in some sauteed scallops in a light saffron sauce. Omigod it was so good. Then I threw the leftover scallops into a chowder with salmon and cod, a couple of potatoes, a carrot, celery, onion, a ton of garlic and some 1% milk just to sweeten it up.

I took it to work for lunch and couldn't eat it all with the salad and fruit etc. So I have to try and finish it up today.
Yum yum.

HAPPY SPRING EVERYONE!
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-01, 10:13
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 236/210/155
BF:
Progress:
Smile Wine .......

Numberonewendy{hope I got your name right!}..
My brother was diagnosed with high cholestrol and was put on a low fat diet.He said one week of that was more than enough so he quit it.What he did do was start drinking 2 glasses of wine a day.He just had his choleterol done again and it is normal now.He thinks it must be the wine as he went right back to regular food after the week of low fat.
I can't drink alchohol so I'm taking 2 Grapeseed Extract pills everyday...they're supposed to work the same as the wine.

I re-started PPLP on sunday and have lost 5 pounds of water weight! I was so puffy! Feel pretty good today!
Carol from Kamloops!
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-01, 17:30

BF:

Hey Carol,

that was an old posting. I'm not too concerned on the wine now. I picked up the low carb addicts cookbook last week and I'm very happy with it. Very simple tasty meals in it.

I have been doing fine on this woe and losing weight. I love this woe, I feel healthy (except these last couple of days...I think I have a flu bug?) and full of energy. People can't shut me up...LOL For sure this is the way of life for me

ps. Carol you can call me Wendy...numberone is only the nick....Take care and wish you luck!

Wendy
  #30   ^
Old Mon, May-14-01, 16:18

Plan: CKD
Stats: 245/215/130
BF:
Progress:
Default It worth a try!

I'm sure we have all been where you are. But remember...the medical industry doesn't make money by keeping you well. But they will tell you this is a bad diet...with out doing the research! They will tell you low-fat/low-cal is good...while they take in there BILLION DOLLARS A YEAR from the weight problem it has created. This is all in the Atkins book read it...study it. And remember where the medical industry is making its money. Then ask yourself... Do they REALLY want me well...with out heart disease, weight problem joint problems ect. No they don't! How would they make there money. This is a problem that is getting worse...not better! But it has such positive benefits when you talk to people on this type of diet. My knees would crack when I bent them...and swell unreal. 1 week into this the swelling was gone...2weeks so was the cracking. A friend had psoriasis {really bad dry skin} she had to go to the hospital twice a week for treatment for 10 years...3 weeks doing this its GONE. You can't tell she ever had it.
READ READ READ! And follow you heart. It works and they haven't been able to prove it not healthy yet. And I believe they have been trying since around the 1950's!
Smile,