Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 13:31

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 285/264/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default I am so hungry!

Ok.. I thought that maybe I was hungry because I was expecting TOM for a visit but that is definetly not the problem! I feel like I eat and then 1/2 hour later I am hungry again. What the heck is going on? My portion sizes are ample I snack and I'm not using low fat anything. I drink 120oz of water a day. I have no idea what else to do.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 13:43

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much
Progress: 10%

If you're hungry, eat, just keep it low-carb.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 13:47
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I have to agree, just keep it low carb, as a matter of fact, the extra snacks, try to keep NO carb, just so you aren't in any danger of going over your carb allowance for the day. Eventually if you are in ketosis, the lack of appetite should kick in.

Valerie
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 13:55
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Yeah i get times like this when I could eat all day long, but I normally end up picking through the day and it helps get me through - you should find it passes in a few days just keep on track!!
xx
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 14:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/245/200 Female 6' 2"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Cool

Eat and keep it LC..That is what is great about this diet!!! Your body will come under control and it will say Gee I'm satisfied!

Is it not great that you hear Just Eat!!! Low Carb of course!!

Bless You!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 14:20

Stats: 242/175/175 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 100%

What are you snacking on? I found that the low carb bars (atkins advantage), or anything with aspartame would increase not only my cravings but also my appetite. the same goes for pork rinds or any food loaded with fat; (bacon, prime rib, cream cheese.) I have eliminated most of the fat from my diet such as excess fat on beef, chicken skin. I have added more veggies and choose leaner cuts of meat and I am fuller longer. my daily carbs are about 30g a day.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 14:31

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

And sometimes you are hungry like this on the day before you lose some pounds. Who knows? It could be tomorrow.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 15:39
Registered Member

Plan: My Version of M/E
Stats: 284/000/140 Female 65 inches
BF:54%/49.5%/25%
Progress: 197%

Eat Woman, Eat!!! Just make it protein. Keep some cooked steak or chicken or shrimp in the fridge that you can munch without worrying. Hardboiled eggs are good too.

Also, try increasing your water. You are drinking 1 gallon, but more may help.

Another thing to try...when you want to eat, but don't want to eat (if you know what I mean) try doing 10 push-ups or sit-ups, etc. You don't have to do them on the floor or the heard way. You can stand about 2 feet from a wall with your hands on the wall at chest height. Lower yourself to the wall and push away. As it gets easier, stand farther away from the wall and/or spread your hands farther or closer together.

Good Luck!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 06:19

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 285/264/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Smile Thanks for all the good ideas!

Jadefox26- Thank for the encouragement! Let me just say I can't wait until it does pass!!

sorcha, lynnp - I know I could snack more it's just taking a lot of conversations with myself to believe it! And, Lynnp I am deffinetly going to try doing push ups and sit ups! I find excersize does help the problem. If the people here at the office think I'm off my rocker then so be it

horty - I am definetly going to try to go lower fat with more vegis for a few days and see if that doesn't make a difference.. I'll let you know

tofi - Wouldn't it be great if ponds coming off were the reason? I hope it happen more often if that is the case! we'll have to see

Thanks eveyone so much all of your suggestions and support sound wonderful I am really going to put them to work you guys are the best!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-04, 07:23
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

A) I am not an expert on anything but that which works for me.
B) Been over a year since I read the Atkins books. Seems I remember that dietary FAT is a good thing when doing ATKINS.
C) For ME...to curb a major craving for food, pork rinds and or eggs worked best. Anything with sugar alcohols made it worse.
D) For ME...taking a walk (which with my gimp leg manages to wind me pretty well) is an instant appetite cure. For a while.
E) When hungry eat legal for YOUR food program.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 13:39

Stats: 242/175/175 Male 5'9
BF:

Good luck, keep us posted
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 13:44
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:

Remember - the whole basis of ketogenic diets is to switch your body to a FAT-burning metabolism - check your foods on www.fitday.com to make sure that 65-70% of calories are coming from FAT. Do this, and TRUST me, you WON'T have a hunger problem.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 15:39
fierce!

Plan: TGDW
Stats: -/-/- Female 64
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built
check your foods on www.fitday.com to make sure that 65-70% of calories are coming from FAT.

Is the 60-75% fat purefat, such as butter, oil, mayo, salad dressings, etc., or does that percentage come from the whole food we eat; e.g., fatty meats, nuts, avocados, cheese, and so on?
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 15:44

Stats: 304/239.5/160 Female 68 inches
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 45%
Default LC snacks

I would love more info on things to "just have around" to grab when one is hungry, and it is not time to "eat".. I have cheese sticks, deviled eggs, celery with LC p-nut butter, cream cheese or plain.. I have had e-e-e-nuf of pork rinds.. (fyi... the 'hot' ones.. have dextrose)... I also found a receipe for cheese 'chips' made from swiss cheese (although I haven't made them yet!)..
and other than grabbing a piece of last night chicken, pork, etc... any other things you guys have found??.. not just something to eat.. something that is like.. wow!.. I'm spoiled/lucky.. or ?? something
thanks in advance..
diana
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 16:10
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerGirl
Is the 60-75% fat purefat, such as butter, oil, mayo, salad dressings, etc., or does that percentage come from the whole food we eat; e.g., fatty meats, nuts, avocados, cheese, and so on?

It's 65-70% of the calories you consume OVERALL.

For example, suppose you ate 2000 calories worth of food that day.

65% of 2000 is 1300 calories, so you should have consumed about 1300 calories worth of fat.

Since a gram of fat has about 9 calories, this works out to 1300/9 = 144 g of fat.

The remaining calories should mostly come from protein, with less than 5% coming from usable carb (ie after subtracting off the fibre). (For the 2000 calorie example, this works out to about 125g of protein, and 25g of usable carbohydrate).

Fitday will give you the calorie percentage breakdown in a little pie chart.

If your daily fats aren't high enough, you may have a hard time getting into and staying in ketosis, and you may find you feel hungry all the time. Not everybody does, but I know I need my fats this high when I'm strictly low-carbing. I'll tuck in an extra half an avocado and slather everything with butter or mayo or olive oil to ensure my fats remain high.

Good luck!