Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-04, 14:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/235/165 Female 5'6
BF:2MUCH/2/SAY
Progress: 39%
Question The Walker Diet

Can anyone tell me please what the "Walker Diet" consists of?? Is it any different than the Atkins or the South Beach Diet??
Thanks,
Doris
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-04, 21:02

Plan: Carb Cycle
Stats: 185/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 67%

Well I found several references to the "The Walker Diet" as low-carb (as in selling low carb products) from a google search.

Then I ran across this link:
http://www.walking.org/article_diet_1.asp that talks about the food pyramid?!?

I honestly have never heard of the walker diet(s).. Is this something new?

Maybe someone else can help?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-04, 18:36

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 256/199/160 Female 5 feet, 8 inches
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 59%
Hello, iluvjesus7 ~

I had not heard of The Walker Diet until reading your post. Like KathyD, I did a little online searching and found a link for this diet program at http://walkerdiet.com. Hope this helps.

~ Anicka65
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-04, 00:40

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

So, basically, it's just some doctor named Walker trying to cash in the the LC craze by selling a bunch of products and using his title for credibility.

What's sad is that it'll probably work.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-04, 08:41

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Uh oh Selling it is right. Main product is a carb blocker and it looks like he is setting up an Amway type re seller system.

JUST WALK AWAY.....
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-04, 09:23
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

The diet itself is posted on the website .. it's basically low-fat low-carb combination of South Beach and Atkins. Lower carb than SBD, lower fat than Atkins. Also restricts salt intake.

First phase called "rapid reduction" is basically Induction, only lowfat. Unlike SBD, you are not allowed beans, skim or lowfat milk/yogurt, sugar-free candies or fudgesicles in this phase. The meat portions are more generous than SBD (6-8 oz vs. 3-4 oz) but must be lean .. for 3-egg omelet, discard 2 yolks, skinless poultry etc etc. A little olive oil may be used on salads, or bottled lowcarb dressings. Lowcarb bars and shakes are allowed as meal replacement or snack, but must be lowfat as well.

2nd phase, which is the "OWL" phase is a little more like SBD, with greater variety of veggies, some low-GI fruit, beans and high-fiber whole grain products, but these are strictly limited .. unlike SBD which permits multiple servings of carbs per meal as long as "tolerated". Lowfat continues .. the use of high-fat lowcarb foods such as heavy cream, mayo, avocados is discouraged. Nuts and nut butters are okay, in limited amounts. Lowfat dairy is allowed.

Lifetime maintenance .. more of the same .. like Atkins/SBD with continued caution to avoid processed carbs and keep fat intake low-moderate. Restrict salt intake indefinitely.

Of course, this program is dubbed "The Healthy Low Carb Lifestyle™". And as noted in the post above .. you're encouraged to use their proprietary products .. carb blockers, fiber supplement (used as an appetite suppressant), anti-craving formulas, bars, shakes etc. which are "superior" to other similar products because they have the correct blend of nutrients, low-fat, low-sodium etc etc ...

Hardly revolutionary ... or new.

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-04, 10:08
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T

Of course, this program is dubbed "The Healthy Low Carb Lifestyle™". And as noted in the post above .. you're encouraged to use their proprietary products .. carb blockers, fiber supplement (used as an appetite suppressant), anti-craving formulas, bars, shakes etc. which are "superior" to other similar products because they have the correct blend of nutrients, low-fat, low-sodium etc etc ...

Hardly revolutionary ... or new.

Doreen

I understand people's feelings about weight loss programs that puss products but the Atkins program certainly pushes their products and probably more than any other weight loss company or program. And it didn't start happening after Dr. Atkins died because he mentioned his bars and shakes in some of his books while he was still alive. As long as these products are opional, I see no problem with weight loss programs that offer them, as long as they don't say you HAVE to make them a part of your meal plans. As far as I can see, neither Atkins OR the Walker Diet make their products a mandatory part of their programs. Neither does Dr. Phil and Weight Watchers. However, Slim-Fast and Jenny Craig DO, make their products a mandatory part of their program.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-04, 11:03

Plan: PP
Stats: 149.5/140.5/125 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Dr. Phil has a weight-loss program? I'm not very familiar with the guy, but I did catch a few minutes of his show a few weeks ago, and I don't remember him looking particularly fit or healthy. Am I remembering wrong?
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-04, 14:50
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasix
Dr. Phil has a weight-loss program? I'm not very familiar with the guy, but I did catch a few minutes of his show a few weeks ago, and I don't remember him looking particularly fit or healthy. Am I remembering wrong?
I am an avid Dr. Phil fan. His weight loss program is described in his book, The Ultimate Weight Loss Solution. Since Dr. Phil is a psychologist, the book focuses on the psychological reasons why people become overweight such as low self esteem, anger, fear, resentment and what he calls "self-medicating" ourselves with food. The program has " 7 keys to weight loss." These keys try to get a person to discover what it is that makes them overeat and then try to solve it. Diet is only a part of the program. While Dr. Phil does have a couple of eating plans, he does not say that is the only way to eat. He simply stresses good nutrition and cutting out most fats, sugar and processed carbs. The eating plan and suggestions in his book are the standard portion control low fat fare, but he also suggests a lower carb plan called the Rapid Start Plan which essentially cuts out most carbs except for high fiber cereal for breakfast. A company also partnered with Dr. Phil to sell nutritional shakes and bars with his picture on them. They are called Shape Up bars and shakes. I don't think they are doing very well. He suggests people use them only once in awhile as an alternative when they are hiking or traveling or need a quick lunch. I tried his program and love the motivational tips, but the WOE lacked the structure I needed. He has also published The Ultimate Weight Loss Solution Cook Book with both low fat and some low carb recipes recipes. Some people have lost weight on his program and swear by it and for some it doesn't work, just like any weight loss program.

As far as Dr. Phil's weight, according to him he is 6 ft. 3 inches tall and weighs 235 lbs. He was a football player in college and is very athletic and plays tennis everyday. I would consider him husky, not fat. Look at him standing next to his wife and you will see what I mean.