Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-01, 15:27
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 195/191/140
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy

Hello,
I am new to this, found this site last week, ordered Dr. Atkin's book, read it, and started the diet on Sunday.
Both yesterday and today I woke up with a headache, although today was better, then completely flat out in the afternoons. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Has anyone else gone through this? According to the book, I could be going through withdrawl symptoms, changing my diet so drastically. Any idea how long this will last? Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-01, 15:34
Registered Member

Plan: Mix of all
Stats: 185/174/130
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy

Hi! I can't speak for the majority, but I'm starting my third week on the low carb woe. The first few days I had extremely horrible headaches and loss of energy. I think it is withdrawals. After about 3-4 days though, the headaches went away and I started getting my energy back and then some. I've also noticed a BIG decrease in my appetite. I've read that ketosis will suppress your appetite. I hope you start to feel better soon. If you can stick it out for a little bit, I'm sure the end result will be worth it. Make sure you drink lots of water, that helped me!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-01, 16:23
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 187/181/130
BF:
Progress:
Wink

Hi, I also had headaches when I first started a low carb diet, but then again I had headaches before the diet also. But I think it has everything to do with your body not receiving the extra goodies and sodas that you usually give it. I guess that's your bodies way of reacting. Making ya live in hell for 2-3 days. Stick with it though, it will DEFINITELY help in the long run.

I'm not on the atkins diet, but I'm on something similar. I'm mostly supposed to eat meat, but I can have salads and chili and hotdogs and stuff also. It's the combination of foods that's burning the fat. I'm loosing a pound a day on this diet. I'm on day four. Hopefully it will keep up. I hope it doesn't stop once the water weight is gone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg latsyrcsc.jpg (3.6 KB, 274 views)
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-01, 18:00
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 195/191/140
BF:
Progress:
Wink quick responses appreciated

Thanks for the quick responses....After reading some of the comments here I realized that I probably am not drinking enough water either. I did cave and and have a piece of bread, and my headache has finally gone.
Now I just feel tired. I will stick with it, as I am losing weight already, I just have to get over the hump.
Thanks for your support.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-01, 19:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Hang In there

Hang in there...just probably some carb withdrawal too....it will get better soon. Keep drinking the water too.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-01, 20:24
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Elizabeth, LatsyrcSC,

Welcome aboard. As Sharon said, hang in there, you're experiencing detox I go through that when ever I slip and then go back to induction (both ways). It shouldn't last more than a couple of days. Just make sure you get some calcium and potassium.

Wa'il
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-01, 03:55
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 187/181/130
BF:
Progress:
Wink Thanks

Thanks wa'il! The people on this board are so friendly and supportive. It's good that they have places like this for people. It's a great help!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-01, 05:05

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Listen to Wa'il,

I too felt like that for the first couple of days on this woe and sure enough started on potassium and one a day vitamin....problem solved

Wendy
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 21:18

Plan: mixed
Stats: 165/165/140
BF:
Progress:

How much potassium do you take?
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 22:06

Stats: 188.5/182/168
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi Elizabeth,

I have been going through the same withdrawl symptons that you are. Today is day 4 for me and I am feeling better today. Some people don't get them at all, while some of us seem to get hit with them. Drink as much as you can, and rest. Yesterday I spent most of the day on the couch, when I woke up this morning, I had a shower and went out for a little while with my hubby and kids.. Once I was in the fresh air I felt alot better... I have even been able to eat today, and was down 2 more lbs this morning.

Stick with it Elixabeth, it will be so worth it. I have done this wol manytimes but the first time was the greatest.. I lost 40 lbs in about 6 months or maybe a little bit less. Since then I have started and stopped many times, but this time I am going to get to my goal without stopping... why wait... Ive waited long enough to be thin and healthy...

Tawnya
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 07:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 179.6/179.6/144 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default headache

I think that my body got so used to sugar and carbs as our energy source that when I stopped it cold Turkey (pun intended) it was in desperate search and the reaction to something wrong in the body is often a headache. But once my body got used to the protein source (3-4 days) I felt great. The reason behind the carb. making you feel good, makes sense, a quick fix. But the vitamins and the water are very important to me, the water is becoming second nature to me now, and I'm getting better at remembering the vitamins, if I don't my legs ache.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 08:39

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Hi beginner1,

I just take one potassium tablet a day. (100 mg.)