Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 08:29

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/250/180 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress:
Question How can I find my sons goal weight?

My son started on the low carb diet June 20. As of today he has lost 12 pounds. That's 12 pounds in 14 days. Does this sound okay? He is only 16. His starting weight was 242 lbs. Today he weighs 230. He is really happy and is sticking to the food alot better than I thought he would. But is there a web sight maybe to help us determine what his goal weight should be? He is 5' 7" . By the way the other part we are having trouble with is exercise. I know he has to want to and I'm hoping as he continues to see the results he will want to start. He does have band camp coming up next week which is 2 weeks long and then 3 nights a week for the rest of the year. He loves this because all his friends are there. So maybe that is just the answer for him.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 17:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 244/244/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 0%

I am getting 140. Is he medium build?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 17:58
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm 5'8" and about 140. I'm fairly slim for a woman. I think I'd be a pretty skinny boy.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 19:13

BF:
Progress:

I just got back to my computer. Thanks for the replies. I found a BMI chart and according to it he would be in the normal range at 159 lbs. That means 71 lbs more to loose. I showed him these charts and he seems to think he can do it. I'm really proud of him. By the way we took our first walk today. It was only 15 minutes, but that's great considering he gets no exercise.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 20:54

Plan: SBD from Atkins
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 5'7
BF:35.5
Progress: 0%

Where did you find the idea weight? My son is 17 and 5"11 and was starting at 252lbs
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-04, 00:01
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eponajake
I just got back to my computer. Thanks for the replies. I found a BMI chart and according to it he would be in the normal range at 159 lbs. That means 71 lbs more to loose. I showed him these charts and he seems to think he can do it. I'm really proud of him. By the way we took our first walk today. It was only 15 minutes, but that's great considering he gets no exercise.

Hi,

You're starting your exercise just the way I did...and now I LOVE it and I NEVER expected to be saying that. Don't make it a burden, make it a chance to get out and enjoy, or smell the flowers, or think, or listen to music, or talk on the cell phone to family...so many ways, but not making it a chored was the answer for me.

GL and congrats to your son on his loss. btw..I lost 13lbs the first couple weeks, then I stalled. Here is a post I created for newbies that talks about the common things that happen to people.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=175492

Enjoy!!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-04, 11:52

BF:
Progress:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ladyvenom, I went to google and typed in body mass index. That brings up a scale which tells what your weight should be according to your height. This is all I have to go by. There may be other factors such as age that I don't know about. If anyone else knows I would appreciate the help. So far he has lost 15 pounds since June 20. He's really happy. His clothes are already loose.

DaddioM, I clicked on the link you gave and found alot of good ideas to help him. By the way, How did you find your goal weight?

Thanks,
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-04, 13:23

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

That is great that he has lost that much in my first week I had lost 11lbs!! So that is wonderful!! Keep up the good work both of you and you'll be at goal in no time!!