Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 12:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/145.5/135 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default What do people think of this website?

My boyfriend sent this link to me today and I glimpsed through it quickly and found lots of misleading info.

I'd like to pick it apart later when I have time so that I can explain things to him properly. Any extra insight would be appreciated.

http://www.atkinsdietalert.org/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 13:03

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default PETA clone, right?

Aren't these the people pushing a vegetarian diet? They were also, I think, responsible for pushing the fact that Dr. A. "weighed" 200+# when he died, even though as physicians, they a) should have respected patient privacy and b) should have known that people who die of closed head brain trauma often gain weight from the fluids pushed in intensive care wards.

Check the war zone and the media forums for more.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 14:53

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

I was looking over the site and found personal stories. And, if the site would tell the truth about everything, then, people would be better informed.

Quote:
Gorran discovered that his cholesterol had shot from a pre-diet level of 146 to 23

I remember seeing a news story on him. He was in general good health and not a lot to loose. Atkins themselves have said
Quote:
However, when you reach Pre-Maintenance and Maintenance and are no longer in a primarily fat-burning mode, it may be prudent to curtail the amount of saturated fat

Quote:
A post-mortem examination of Huskey revealed low calcium and potassium levels in her blood.
There is no mention of whether she was taking the vitamins which is part of the program. A lot of people don't

Quote:
Mari Madlem: “Actually, I had been on and off the Atkins diet since 1998, and I had no history of any type of kidney problems or my gall bladder in my family, and I've always been athletic. In fact, I'm training for a marathon now.”

“And I experienced, after six months on the diet the first time I went on it, gall bladder disease, and I had to have my gall bladder removed. And off and on I went on the Atkins diet again, and then in 2000, I very strictly went on the Atkins diet, and my homocysteine levels went sky-high, and I developed kidney stones, which is very painful. And those were pretty much the major problems that I had was my gall bladder and then the kidney stones.”
“I never thought that they were related to the Atkins diet because everything that I would do to try to find out more information about the correlation between kidney stones and Atkins with the Atkins information in their book, it didn't say anything, that I would be getting kidney stones. And yet, when I logged onto their web page, I found that actually it's a common occurrence because of the calcium loss.”

First, the gall bladder. If your gall bladder isn't operating right due to the diet you are on and it finally starts having to try to work right, then of course you are going to have problems! That is the exact words the doctors told me when I had gall bladder trouble.

Plus, she didn't read the book very well. It states you need a calcium supplement.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 14:55

Plan: Atkins-maintwhilepregnant
Stats: 201//135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

That web site is run by the PCRM (physicians committee for responsible medicine), which is not run by physicians at all as far as I have ever seen. They are an animal rights / pro-vegan group who are against Atkins-like diets because of what they view as excessive animal product consumption.

When I was thinking about starting Atkins, I read through a lot of what they had to say, then looked up their studies, as well as doing searches on PubMed (the online database of virtually all scientific publications) for low-carb diet studies, and found that they had little to no support other than anecdotal for their claims.

I recommend reading some of the real medical studies done on Atkins diets, which you can even search for on Google, and then discussing the real results they found with your boyfriend. In a nutshell, the biggest "negative" is that in most studies done, the people who stuck to the low fat/cal diet lost equal amounts in comparison with the low carb diet. The biggest positive is that the low carb people were more likely to stick to the diet, and their blood work looked better. I think the "negative" is a good thing because I know that many people do lose weight on low-fat/low-cal, so I would have been suspicious of a study that found that those people didn't. The fact that low-carb works AS WELL to me, but that more people, including myself anecdotally, are able to stick to it, makes it better. Or at least as good, which is really all that matters for a diet since YMMV on any diet plan.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 14:59
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

The doctor who's sight that belongs to is affiliated with PETA and although there may be some truth to an item or two it is biased in my opinion and misleading...I'm more interested in real research where people have no opinion either way and just sorta state the facts.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 16:22

Stats: 220/220/145 Female 5' 7"
BF:too much
Progress: 0%

Propaganda!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-04, 06:20
Registered Member

Stats: 198/145.5/135 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 83%

Oh, my BF is such a sh*t disturber. He didn't even look at the sight. His partner sent the link to him. He is one of those people who are always paranoid about everything and anything (the gov't is out to get you because your tax return was off by $0.02) He sends him links about everything and anything he finds. My BF just saw the word atkins in the link and sent it to me in case I was interested in it.

So I thought of all these things to tell him and asked for other peoples opinions for nothing. He doesn't even care about how the diet works. He says as long as I'm happy about the way I'm looking and feeling then do what I want, as long as he still gets his pasta side dishes with supper and when I make cabbage rolls his has rice in them. LOL.

So thanks anyway to everyone who responded.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-04, 09:36

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

I am sorry he doesn't seem to be interested in how you are improving your health. But, remember, we are all here for you. As long as you are comfortable with it, that is what matters.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-04, 14:08
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

I think everyone at PRM are a bunch of DOPES! doh!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-04, 17:35

Stats: 191.5/160/135 Female 5'3
BF:39.8%/?/27%
Progress: 56%

The PCRM is not really respected in the medical and science communities.

One criticism here from Tufts Univ. points out that, "In fact, in their zeal to make their point, the site’s authors often blur the line between scientific fact and conjecture."

Another criticism can be found here from the National Council Against Health Fraud. Neither of those are as acerbic as the criticism from activistcash.com, which characterizes PCRM as a "fanatical animal rights group" with in which 95% of the members are NOT health care professionals. "And the American Medical Association (AMA), which actually represents the medical profession, calls PCRM a 'fringe organization' that uses 'unethical tactics' and is 'interested in perverting medical science.'"