Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-04, 20:22

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%
Default Local News: Blood Washing Offered for People with High Cholesterol

Quote:
Blood Washing Offered for People with High Cholesterol
By Angela Hampton
There is a new life-saving treatment for people with high cholesterol. It actually washes the bad cholesterol out of your blood. UNC Hospitals is the first in the state to offer the blood washing treatment. It's for people with very high levels of bad cholesterol, and in light of new cholesterol guidelines released this week, this new treatment is more important than ever.

Like millions of Americans, 66-year-old David Gordon uses a combination of drugs, diet and exercise to lower his cholesterol. "My overall cholesterol is 140. My bad is 79."

New guidelines just released suggest people at high risk of a heart attack should have a bad or LDL cholesterol level of less than 100. People at very high risk should be below 70.

To get there, the government recommends more people take cholesterol lowering drugs. But those drugs don't work for some patients.

A new treatment at UNC Hospitals does. It's called LDL Apherisis, or blood washing. Doctor Ross Simpson explains. "The blood washing treatment is a way of lowering people's cholesterol when it's dangerously high."

A patient is connected to a machine with IV needles. It pumps their blood through a special filter that removes the bad cholesterol and then returns the cleaned blood to the body. "It makes a dramatic difference in the way it drops the cholesterol. A bad cholesterol will drop say from a value of 200 to 70 or 80, even lower sometimes with one treatment."

Right now, blood washing is limited to patients with a very high level of bad cholesterol. Dr. Simpson hopes soon it will be an option for everyone. But for now, their best line of defense is still a healthy diet, exercise and medication. "I've been taking Lipitor for quite a while and I know it helps."

Right now, insurance and Medicare only cover the cost of blood washing for people with LDL levels over 200 if they have heart disease, and 300 if they don't and again, if drugs don't seem to work.

Dr. Simpson hopes that will change in light of the new guidelines just released. This is not a one-time treatment. The body keeps making the bad cholesterol, so patients get treated every 2 to 3 weeks and it takes 2 to 3 hours each time. But again, it can definitely save lives.

For more information on this technique log onto http://www.uncheartcenter.org/

Here's a better link to UNC:
http://www.uncheartcenter.org/handl...mplate&cpid=176
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-04, 20:36

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Please tell me that this is one of those April Fool jokes that was posted late. How much damage is being done to the red blood cells by this 'filtering'?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-04, 21:59

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Please tell me that this is one of those April Fool jokes that was posted late. How much damage is being done to the red blood cells by this 'filtering'?

sorry, no Joke!

I think it's basically like dialysis, which can lead to low BP and shock, anemia, electrolye imbalance, pericarditis, infection.

Amazing, isn't it?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-04, 22:32
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 195/169/160 Male 5'11'
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Dr. Simpson hopes that will change in light of the new guidelines just released. This is not a one-time treatment. The body keeps making the bad cholesterol, so patients get treated every 2 to 3 weeks and it takes 2 to 3 hours each time. But again, it can definitely save lives.

i'm sure if it was a one-time procedure it would have got tossed in the can immediately.

btw, any chance that this guy is related to homer?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-04, 05:51

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

So I suppose that if they get around to making a study on exactly how many lives are saved by this and realize it has no impact on heart attacks, they will quietly bury the results ? Or they probably won't ever bother with a study because everyone knows that cholesterol causes heart disease, so why bother studying it.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-04, 05:52

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%
Default Again...

Treating the symptom, not looking real hard for the cause...
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-04, 07:20

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/170/170
BF:
Progress: 100%

This is cholesterol hysteria gone amuck.

I'll bet anyone here $100 US, that this will NEVER save ONE person ever from a heart attack.

Okay, maybe statins have some effect, maybe on inflammation, maybe on clot prevention, maybe on something else.

But filtering the blood?

But THIS? This is nonsense. No, this is scary.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-04, 07:56

Plan: TNTDIET
Stats: 327/234/220 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 87%

I am curious what everyone here feels about an aspirin a day?
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-04, 08:03

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Walt
But THIS? This is nonsense. No, this is scary.

This is starting to be reminiscent of those barbarous middle-age "treatments". One day history will look back on this and consider them to be one and the same.

That's assuming the human race survives that long. I have my doubts
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-04, 08:51

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Today on our local morning news under "health news" and the causes of obesity, which to them is caused by eating high fat foods only (no mention of carbs) and suggestions we tax fat and ban fat altogether. Scary!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-04, 09:17

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
But again, it can definitely save lives.

And how do they know that?

It makes me not want to go to the doctor. If I do and my tests come back doctor "thinks" they're bad, she will try to get me to take pills. I won't. I don't know if I'll refuse or just say thanks and not take them or ever go back. I know I'm healthy. The only reason I'm going is because I may be going into menopause and want to know for sure. Even that I'll deal with on my own.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-04, 10:41

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

For several years now, when I've gone to donate blood, I've been asked if I want to have apheresis (spelling?). It sounds very much like this -- they take some blood parts out and put the rest back.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-04, 15:40
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Unreal. I can't believe they're doing a dialysis-like procedure on anyone who wouldn't literally die otherwise... and a risk factor is not an illness, no matter how hard big pharma tries to make it that way.