Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 17:17
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I'm cranky by nature. I used to blame it on carbs, but now I blame it on...on....ME!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 18:10

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 155/140/140 Male 68
BF:18%
Progress:

Well, actually, I enjoy Splenda sweetened ice cream as much as anyone, perhaps even more than I do pickled octopus. Let's give Potatofree her chips back, by all means.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 18:49
Fully Caffeinated

I didn't mean to go off on you. I just got irritated by the implication that anyone who uses these products is somehow less serious about low-carbing. I understand you probably meant the ones who try to LIVE on the junk food substitutes, it just hits a nerve when people seem to look down on the substitutes as a crutch for weak people who aren't doing it "right". (Again, you may not have been REMOTELY implying this, but it kind of read that way.)

I'll grant you even I have to laugh at some of the "low-carb" products. I picked up a Betty Crocker Carb Monitor mix..the first ingredients that caught my eye were wheat flour and sugar...I can't seem to find the nutrition info online to refresh my memory. Coincidence?
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 21:38

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotbeer
Well, meat is processed, vegetables are processed...not as highly as Tostitoes, maybe, but still processed nevertheless.

Oh, please. You know what I mean. Does the word "natural" come to mind? Yes, meat is taken directly from an animal, cleaned, cut up and cooked. Yes, vegetables are picked, cleaned, cut up and cooked. Yes, Tostitoes are...?
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 21:48
Fully Caffeinated

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZ
Yes, Tostitoes are...?

Nature's most perfect food. Plucked fresh from it's native growing region in the south of the salty shelf plateau, Tostito Tasteosum has a relatively long growing season despite it's fragile outward appearance.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 21:50

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
I'll grant you even I have to laugh at some of the "low-carb" products. I picked up a Betty Crocker Carb Monitor mix..the first ingredients that caught my eye were wheat flour and sugar...I can't seem to find the nutrition info online to refresh my memory. Coincidence?

Your mention of the product caught my attention, just from it's incongruity. So, being Information Man, I looked it up.

http://www.generalmills.com/careero...sp?storyID=1018

Interesting quotes:

Quote:
“Nearly 70 percent of consumers are monitoring their carb intake,” said Gayle Fuguitt, General Mills vice president of market research. “But whether they are on a lower-carb diet or just watching the amount of carbs they eat, we know they want lower-carb options that are convenient and that taste good. We have reformulated some of consumers' favorite General Mills products to fit a low-carb lifestyle, and added a few new offerings - without sacrificing taste or value.”

70%??? Cool!!

Quote:
Betty Crocker Carb Monitor Baking Mixes, New Betty Crocker Chocolate Chunk brownie mix, Walnut brownie mix, Wild Blueberry muffin mix and Chocolate Chip cookie mix are 35 to 45 percent lower in net carbs and 50 percent lower in sugar than regular Betty Crocker baking mixes.

Unfortunately, I find no nutritional information on any of General Mills' products on their website. The new products aren't mentioned either. But 35-45% lower is not very low. Again, another marketing ploy.

So, no answers to your question, but it is interesting to see the baking industry as thinking 70% of all people are watching their carbs. Hmmm.

Plane Crazy.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 22:03
Fully Caffeinated

I do recall the cookies from the mix having around 17 grams of carbs per serving...AS I put it back on the shelf.

I hope the gist of the original article means that the "slowdown" will pretty much separate the proverbial wheat from the chaff...poor example, but you know what I mean. The higher-quality, reasonably-priced alternatives wold hold out, while the "me too" products of little merit fade away, increasing the market share of the good stuff. <crossing fingers and holding breath>
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 08:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/155/140 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:100% sure I got it
Progress: 57%

Oh, I remember one day I was so hungry, I was short on time and didn't have a proper lunch. I had to go to the drugstore, there were no Atkins bars (TwighlightZ is cringing at the idea, I'm sure. LOL!) Yes, I know these are not good to eat, but I was desperate at the time. Anyway, no Atkins bars. They had these bars called Slim Down Carb Blockers. I bought two of them. Stupid me, I didn't read the label until I took them out to the car. One of the first ingredients was sugar, along with other high carb things. I ended up throwing them away. How are you supposed to block carbs with sugar? Name was very deceptive. I was so mad! Bad thing about it was, I was so very hungry, that it was the only time I was ever tempted to blow my WOE!
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 15:01
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

When I first started this WOE I went to a low carb specialty store after my 2 weeks of induction. I spent tons on over priced food just because it was low carb. I bought bars, syrups, cookies, etc.

I had no clue......

I now keep my food very simple and low and behold...the stall that I was in for months has let up. Thank God I learned a lot from this forum.

I still like the flavored pork skins as well as some of the other stuff...but lucky for me I can find a lot of that stuff cheaper at the grocery store now (I still need to go to the LC store for tofu noodles or cinnamon/splenda pork skins). But for the most part I realized
1. I couldn't afford to eat fake and
2. I wasn't getting the results I wanted to see.

I think it's insane we get charged the low carb tax on our foods. It serves them right if their business suffers with all that phoney low-carb baloney!
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-04, 22:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 283/226/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 65%

Getting back to the original article...does anyone really think it is strange there is a drop in low-carb product purchases compared to the first quarter of the year? Do I really have to point out what happens annually starting the first of January and usually ending a couple months later? Go figure! Diet products slowing down three months after New Years resolutions. This article is not newsworthy.

But I agree that some of the horrible tasting products should (and will) go away.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-04, 10:12
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Do I really have to point out what happens annually starting the first of January and usually ending a couple months later?

Exactly, and are people really surprised that small businesses like LC shops are going to fold? The products are expensive, they're not the staples of what anyone is eating (hopefully), and even with LC as popular as it is (was), there's barely enough money in it to keep a store afloat. In my town, businesses like that come and go like crazy, average lifespan seeming to be less than a year.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-04, 20:00

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by easylyvin
Oh, I remember one day I was so hungry, I was short on time and didn't have a proper lunch. I had to go to the drugstore, there were no Atkins bars (TwighlightZ is cringing at the idea, I'm sure. LOL!) Yes, I know these are not good to eat, but I was desperate at the time. Anyway, no Atkins bars. They had these bars called Slim Down Carb Blockers. I bought two of them. Stupid me, I didn't read the label until I took them out to the car. One of the first ingredients was sugar, along with other high carb things. I ended up throwing them away. How are you supposed to block carbs with sugar? Name was very deceptive. I was so mad! Bad thing about it was, I was so very hungry, that it was the only time I was ever tempted to blow my WOE!

Actually, I'm proud of you. Yes, it blows my mind that carb blockers contain sugar.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-04, 20:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 191.5/160/135 Female 5'3
BF:39.8%/?/27%
Progress: 56%

Did these food manufacturers ever notice that the LC way of eating works best when people *don't* eat franken-ated formerly high carb food? Did they ever think that maybe the people who would find the most success on LC plans simply wouldn't be buying their junk, and that the people buying the junk would be more likely to quit LC?

Don't get me wrong, I loves my occasional Atkins ice cream, and the LC tortillas are da bomb. I do get LC bleu cheese dressing (which is generally LC anyway). But that's about it. The reason I'm going to stay LC is that the naturally LC foods seem to work best for me.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-04, 21:25

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrie
Did these food manufacturers ever notice that the LC way of eating works best when people *don't* eat franken-ated formerly high carb food? Did they ever think that maybe the people who would find the most success on LC plans simply wouldn't be buying their junk, and that the people buying the junk would be more likely to quit LC?

That thought has never even come close to orbiting their planet. I am quite convinced they would give you blank looks, if you were to even ask. They don't give a rat's as** about people's success, even if they knew anything about LC'ing. LC is a big buzz word right now that has the potential to generate profits. So they are jumping on the bandwagon motivated both by the hope of increasing their market share and the fear of loosing ground. Some companies held off hoping the fad would go away. It hasn't. They are playing catch-up.

That's it. That's the sole consideration.

Last edited by Angeline : Fri, Jul-16-04 at 05:52.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-04, 22:02

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

I've twice emailed manufacturers about removing trans-fats from LC foods....both times got the same response....in effect: thanks for the info, but we don't care.

They just want to sell their products. They don't care if they're producing a healthy product or not.....they only care if they can sell it or not.