Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 10:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/150/120
BF:
Progress:
Default newbie - AGAIN!

started atkins again - did it back in the late 70's (i am 41) - with great success. now i am having trouble losing/staying on it. i do it for about a week - get grossed out by feeling 'greasy' from all the meat - and stray off. i tend to eat salami/ham/beef. any suggestions ??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 10:34

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Margalo, what else are you eating? Are you following the plan and eating your vegetables (2 cups a day or 1 cup and a large salad every day)?

Getting the mind around the concept that eating fat is good for you can take some time; but it can be done. You are not limited to hamburger or salami, there are other proteins you can include in your daily diet. Fish, poultry (keep the skin on!), lamb, veal, venison. All of these are great.

I suggest you take a look at some of Journals posted in the Bootcamp section of the forum for ideas on daily food items; seeing what others are eating can really help.

Btw, Margalo, posting the same thread twice isnt necessary Most of us use the "view new posts" option on the Main Forum page, your posts will be seen. I have removed the duplicates so you do not receive answers in both the Atkins and Newbies Forums - it can be confusing if there are replies in both.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 10:43

Stats: 150/150/120
BF:
Progress:

Actually - i am eating very little - if any veggies - is this detrimental? - i will look into the bootcamp section for more ideas - i have been bouncing around a little - and this is one of the best sites i have found - thanks!!

sorry for the double posting - realized i replied in the wrong section and am i little new to all this!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 11:35

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by margalo
Actually - i am eating very little - if any veggies - is this detrimental?

Yes, Margalo, quite detrimental. Atkins is a Low Carb plan, not a no carb one. You need some carbs and you definitely need the fiber and micronutrients that vegetables will provide. I strongly suggest pulling out your copy of DANDR and rereading the chapter(s) on induction. Dr. Atkins provides a detailed list of the foods you must eat and the ones you should eat. Veggies, leaner cuts of meats (such as those I listed above), cheeses and various fats are all listed.

If LCing is to be a WOL (way of life) then it must be something that you can do over the longterm. Eating just hamburger and salami isnt something you can do for the rest of your life. Reading through some of the members' journals will give you a better idea of what you need to eat. Re-reading Atkins, however, is key.

HTH,
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 08:39
Pending Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/145/120
BF:
Progress: 74%
Smile Hello

Hello Margalo,
I just started back on Atkins , also. I found out that if I fix deviled eggs and keep low carb vegetable with dip in the refrigerator for my snack times that it cut down on eating too much meat. I also bake allot of meat and that help with the problem of too much grease. I hope this help.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 14:08

Stats: 277/266.2/168
BF:
Progress:

Hi

I find that chicken or turkey breast is the best for me (I try to have it without the skin).

I was on the diet for 6 weeks and lost nearly 12lbs, then Christmas came along and I fell off the wagon so to speak - but I am detrmined to hop straight back on!!

Best Wishes
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 17:03
Pending Member

BF:
Smile Millie

Congratulation on losing 12 lbs and don't worry about Christmas and just start again. I was on Atkins before and I well confess I did the same. I know that this year WE ALL WELL SEE A NEW US.
My husband told me today that he loves when I am on this diet because it changes my attitude and I have more energy. Well I go for now and keep up the good work.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-02, 15:12

Stats: 277/266.2/168
BF:
Progress:

Donnaj

Thank you so much for the kind words. Today has been really hard - there are still chocolates left over from Christmas and they have been very tempting - tut tut!!

I have found getting going for the second time a lot harder than the first time, I am hoping it will ease and that i wont need to try for a third time.

What did you find inspirational or what did you find helpful on your second attempt?

best wishes and keep going

millie
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-02, 17:28
Pending Member

BF:
Default Millie

I know the second time seems so hard. What I did you would not believe. I gave all the food that I could eat and my husband didnot what to the needy. I have tried to keep nothing in the icebox and my cupboard but lo carb. I will cheat if it is here.
Second, I found if I drink my water amount up to 128 oz aday then it keep the urges down.
Third, I go on line to my friend here and type and it helps allot.
So when those urges to eat please visit the board and email me because I am on live several time a day. Millie, we are here on earth to help each other and I am here if you need me.
We well make it.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 07:13
Registered Member

Stats: 176/154/121 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 40%

hi i don't suppose you know, but if you lose weight on the atkins diet, then go off it gain weigh, if you go back on the diet will you lose the weigh you put on fast
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 10:29
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:

From what I understand the first tim eis the "golden opportunity". Each time you go off and restart it gets harder and harder to lose the weight.