Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-07-01, 12:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

1.) Prior to this woe, did anyone try Weight Watchers or Herbal Magic?

2.) When following one of these programs, what in your view were their strengths and weakness's?

Thanks everyone, sure hope I'm not driving you all crazy LOL
Wendy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-07-01, 13:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 193/183/120
BF:
Progress: 14%

I have tried weight watchers several times. Their program seems to be very healthy, but I was hungry all the time. Some people would say "how can you eat all the food". Never had a problem with that, but was hungry. There were some good weight losses but I was not one of them. It would take me a month plus to lose what I have on Atkins and never felt as good as I have on Adkins. It did seem like the weight gain happened quickly when members went off of it.

Have not tried the Herbal Plans.

Barb
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-07-01, 14:10

Plan:
Stats: 250/239/150
BF:
Progress:

I tried WW a long time ago, I think I was about 17 at the time. I did lose some weight on it, but not much. All I ended up doing on their plan was starve myself the day before 'weigh in' so that the scale would come down. I was always hungry. I tried a low fat diet as well a couple years ago and it wasn't a great success either. And any diet that I have ever followed I would always give 100% effort. But would only get 10% success in return! Needless to say I didn't stay with those diets for very long. I was on the low fat diet for about 6 months, followed it to a T. Only lost weight the first 2 months (about 25 or 30 pounds), then it just stopped. The scale never moved for months! As I mentioned in another thread about my cholesterol not coming down after doing low fat for 6 months and my cholesterol level was still high...well that pretty much put an end to that diet!!! Now that I'm low carbing, the weight is coming off with ease and I'm never hungry!! I don't feel like I'm starving myself and because of that I'm not looking for 'snacks' to munch on all the time. Sometimes I even forget to eat!
I also tried Herbalife with the protien shakes but I was always hungry on it. A shake for breakfast and lunch just wasn't my idea of a meal. I would go to work hungry and unsatisified. That diet didn't last either. I spent almost $300.00 on powders and supplements and they are sitting in a box somewhere collecting dust right along with all the low fat books that I've bought over the years. I wince when I think about how much money that I have spent over the years trying to become thin. When all this time the real problem was right under my nose...Insulin Resistance. (doctors have been testing me for diabetes since I was a teenager...the tests always came back negative, too bad they didn't investigate a little further. I would have know years ago about Insulin Resistance!)
Just a quick note.... I started low carbing on April 20th and have lost 11 pounds so far. And I feel great!!

Rilee
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-07-01, 16:32
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi Wendy,

I've done Weight Watchers 3 or 4 times, but not in the last decade. First was in 79, and I still have my old program book. Funny, looking over the daily menus --- larger portions of meat than today (8 oz for women), 3 servings of FAT (gasp!), only 2 servings of bread a day, and potatoes, rice and pasta were a 3 x per week splurge. Averaged 1200 calories a day, and if you work out the percentages, comes pretty close to The Zone or Sugar Busters. I don't know much about the 1-2-3 points system, except that the Fear of Fat is First and Foremost. I never really was successful with WW after that first time, especially as the diet plan became more mainstream, more lowFAT and higher in bread and cereals. I think the once a week weigh-in was not enough for me, because I had no other support system .... family or friends. In later years, I found that I had some success by following the detailed program per the old book ON MY OWN, and using the recipes and menus there. Going to the meetings, they just handed me a menu for the week, but I never really learned anything about nutrition or health. And the meetings always seemed to be taken over by one or two persons who needed a lot of support for always (and I mean ALWAYS) falling off the wagon.

In 81 or 82, I went to Diet Center. You went every single day, and received one-on-one consultation and weigh-in. Plus, you were given pamphlets and flyers on nutrition and the psychology of eating and self esteem. This plan was also lower carb and higher protein. They also gave me a pouch of supplements, and these fiber pills that you chewed before meals with a glass of water, to fill you up ... I called 'em Kibble, cuz that's what they looked and tasted like. I lost 30 lbs in 9 weeks. Actually, I maintained for at least a couple years after this program, because they had taught about nutrition and eating behaviours. I don't imagine they're still running, or it's not the same program because the meat portions were large, by today's standards.

I also tried Weight Loss Clinic, another daily-visit plan, but it was a VLC program (very low calorie). Started out at 900 per day, but I kept stalling, I remember being at 600 calories a day for a while. It was awful, yes I lost the weight that I wanted to, but gained it back quickly, and then some. There was no nutritional education, just that the program was medically supervised, so you had your blood pressure checked every day.

So, strengths of programs -

1. At the time, or the particular stage of my life, having to report in to somebody else was a real motivator to stick with whatever program.
2. More frequent supervision made for better compliance and reaching the goal.
3. Combining the basic eating plan along with education about nutrition and eating behaviours was most successful, and better likelihood of maintaining after the loss is achieved.
4. In general, all the programs used real food, from grocery stores. A few "special" foods could be purchased, but not necessary to be successful.

Weaknesses -

1. Less frequent check-in = less compliance, less success.
2. Just being handed a menu, here eat this, with no education about nutrition or behaviours was a waste of time and money in the short term, and ultimately has harmed my health in the long term.
3. The WW meetings were so BIG, so many people. You just felt lost and insignificant. Stand in a long line-up to get weighed and the stamp in your book, then sit and wait for half an hour for "the talk" and "sharing" which if you were shy, meant you listened to everyone else's concerns, but if you had questions, tough!

Ok, I'm out of ideas. Time to cook my supper...

Oh, by the way, first diet I ever went on was in 75 --- it was Atkins' original Diet Revolution. I was 17, lost 20 lbs and I ate lowcarb until I went to college (nursing) where I learned "the error of my ways". Thus began my rollercoaster into diet hell.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-07-01, 21:09

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 244/224/130 Female 5' 3" (should be 6'3")LOL
BF:
Progress: 18%

I went to weight watcher and actually I really liked the program.
I felt that it was a safe and healthy weight loss program.
The only thing that I didn't like was that you have to pay money for everything, it isn't as terribly expensive as some others but it can still add up. Some of the meeting were very boring and not every educational.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-08-01, 06:33

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Nope.

This is the first diet I have been on.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-08-01, 07:32
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 236/210/155
BF:
Progress:

I just came off the WW diet a couple of weeks ago.Decided to try it after 2 1/2 years low carb.I felt terrible while on it!I'm a bread addict so I ended up feeling lousy! Back to good old LC for me.I might be a slow loser but I feel great!

My sister lost almost 40 pounds on WW in 5 months but she had a cheat over Christmas & just can't get back on plan.she's gained almost all of it back!

Carol
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-08-01, 07:54

Plan:
Stats: 286/254/148
BF:
Progress:

RE: Weight Watchers.

My experience completely mirrors Barbs.

I also felt really deprived because I didnt generally enjoy the kinds of food encouraged by Weight Watchers. Also hungry, hungry, hungry and when not hungry, feeling really dissatisfied. Lastly I loathe that group kind of thing, it seemed rather pedestrian, talking about using smaller plates and never being likely to fit back into your nice shoes....but that's just the non conformist in me.

Nicola
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-08-01, 08:00

Stats: 172/159/120 Female 4' 11
BF:
Progress: 25%

I tried WW a few years ago. I'm not one for detail and the counting & measuring were to much for me ... not to mention the cost and having to travel into town (I live in a little village) to get weighed in, etc. was a bit too much. I had lost 9 pounds and wanted to get a ribbon for a 10 pound loss but was stalled at 9 pounds. They told me they had a secret to get me off the plateau ... but wouldn't tell me the secret. So I quit!

I tried the Dr. McDougal plan for about a year. It's basically a vegetarian, no dairy type of thing. I didn't loose any weight and did not feel healthy. I suppose the high carbs (grains and all eh) brought my blood sugar way up and I was diagnosed as type II diabetic.

I love L.C. I did induction faithfully and once that was over I slipped a few times (mostly during fresh corn on the cob season). But even though I'm not doing it religiously I have been able to keep my blood sugar low and have lost 19 pounds since July/2000.

I figure that because of my hit & miss approach to LC it will take me longer to loose my weight but that's okay. I am loosing, slowly, my diabetes is under control through diet only and I (who am mathematically challenged) do not have to count stuff. I just know that I don't eat bread, pasta, rice, etc. I eat a lot of meat, salads, stuff with Splenda and I exercise more than I ever did.

I need an easy plan, something that doesn't require me to do too much work. Because if it did, I'd end up going back to my high carb eating again. I need products that are easy to purchase rather than online; especially those LC tortillas ... I'd love to try those, and fresh baked LC bread!

I like the fact that the only cost involved in LC was the purchase of DANDR, no meetings, no shipping charges, etc and the support given by everyone in these LC forums is wonderful.

#10   ^
Old Tue, May-08-01, 10:22

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

You folks are just terrific, thank you again for your reponses, very much appreciated

Another question I have just been adding to my surveys already posted is:

Does anyone know of any LC Stores that are already up and running?

Would appreciate any address's telephone numbers,url's etc.