Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 08:52

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 220/220/140
BF:
Progress:
Question Exercise Video

I just got a new VCR, and I want to start exercising with a good workout video. I'd like something that has 20 minutes workouts, and focusses on toning up. I am open to the idea of using free weights. What's a good weight to start with? I'm totally and completely out of shape, and have had very little activity over the past 2 years... ARG! Where do I start

April
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 11:07

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

April, congrats on your decision to start an exercise program. It will definitely help you in your LC journey. I notice from your profile that you have January 1st as your start date. In Protein Power the Eades suggest waiting a few weeks before beginning any such program. You should let your body adjust to burning a new fuel before starting out. In the interim you can prepare, though!

There is a great thread started by Trainerdan in the exercise forum on starting out an exercise program if you're a beginner. You can find it here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/t28035.html

Working out with weights, when you do start, is a great idea. It is the exercise the Eades recommend if you are going to do just one type. Aerobic conditioning is great for cardiovascular health, but it is weight training / resistance work that will build lean muscle and burn more fat for you.

I also suggest reading through the thread "A.M. Cardio on am Empty Stomach " by Fern in the exercise forum, there are some very good tips for fat burning and timing of your workouts.

As for a program to follow and which weights to start out with, these will depend on the individual. Start with low weights, for some exercises you will probably not even require free weights, the resistance of your own body will be sufficient. You can check here for reviews of various videos to help you choose one. I have heard good things about the tapes from "The Firm" but have not tried them myself.

Good luck!
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 14:21

BF:
Progress:
Smile New Video

I spent my lunchhour at bookstores and a media store looking for a really great beginner exercise video tape. I decided on Richard Simmon's tapes because I'm fat, and I find those skinny model-type instructors intimidating and depressing because I spend the whole time I'm doing it feeling inadequate, and like a failure. I've heard he's very motivating, and the best at getting you off your butt. Besides, I've always wanted to learn to dance, and I LOVE oldies. Can't wait to try it tonight!!!

Thanks for the suggestions... I checked out the reviews at the link you attached (on Richard Simmons), and I'm hyped!

April
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 17:19

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Best of luck, April. Have you thought about starting a Gym Log where you can record your progress?

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 17:59

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

I eased myself into exercise using Richard Simmons too! Inspirational for all the reasons you mentioned. His "followers" on the tapes are all in transition themselves and they all look so happy. I smile the whole time I used them.

I don't watch them any more. Now Richard can't keep up to me LOL.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-01, 13:40

BF:
Progress:
Default Exercise Log and Richard Simmons

On Saturday afternoon I donned my "workout gear" and threw my new Richard Simmons tape in the VCR, and flubbed my way through about half of it, before I decided I'd had enough for a first time. I was completely winded and sweating buckets. My husband sat and watched. At first I felt silly with him sitting there, and me flailing about, but then I got into it, and forgot about him, and actually had fun. I'm going to try it again tonight when I get home from work. I'm looking forward to the day that Richard can't keep up to me either!!!

As for an exercise log, I am a member of www.fitday.com, and usually log my eats and exercises (the little that it's been in the past) there. It's a great way to track how I'm doing.

Thanks for the support and encouragement. 3 Cheers for getting my butt off the couch!

April