Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 19:23
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%

JoAnne,
Congratulations on getting started. I just started on Dec 26th. I had started before...but blew it the week before Christmas. I do know I feel so much better when I'm on it. I did it wrong the 1st time, because I was doing Atkins from word of mouth...but now I have read his whole book.
The reason I am writting, is because I have been having a hard time figuring out what to eat too. Chicken only goes so far..and so does pork chops. I made Corned Beef last night...but what the heck do you eat in place of the potatoes and pasta.
So far in 4 days...I've had eggs...boiled...and quiche... I've had pot roast minus the potatoes and carrots...I did put green beans in with it. And, I've had chicken....
I need more snack food ideas...but everything I've found so far...takes so long to make... I love cheese cake...but the recipe I found was too drawn out for me...and I don't like to spend time in the kitchen...cooking that is.
Well, if you come up with any ideas let me know. I know, I'm whinning...but I want more variety. I can continue this for the long haul...I feel so much better when I'm doing it.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 19:55

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/176.5/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Hi Cheryl......

I know what you mean about trying to "think" of other things to eat. While we are on the Induction, we are limited to 2/3 cup of veggies along with our salads. So, I don't know if it is even worth it? LOL LOL

I have been told some of the ladies on here, make mock mashed potatos with cauliflower and butter and heavy cream. That might take the place of your potatoes or rice with your pot roast? I feel sure the recipe is somewhere on this forum! This is a GREAT formu for low carbing help. I can't get over how helpful everyone is!!!!!!!!!!!

Sams Club (do you have one of those?) sells a large Salami roll that we could eat on it with some cheese for a snack. I fixed some deviled eggs and those are good snacks too. I ate me a stalk of celery with whipped cream cheese on it. That was tastey! Hope this helps you a little.

I hope we can hang in there Cheryl. You can contact me anytime for support!

Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 22:33
Living LaVita LoCarb

Talking

I found it....I found it....

I found philly creme cheese in cheese cake flavor. I had a big tablespoon full. I ate it like frosting on a spoon...slowly...savored the taste. It says on the side that 2 table spoons has 4 grams of carbs. It was almost like having cheese cake. It was sooooo gooood. Did I break the diet by doing that???? I hope not...now that I've already done it, I'm going to go check my book and see if it was ok that I ate it. If I can have a table spoon of this a few times a week, I can do it. That stuff was good.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-01, 04:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154/150/119
BF:
Progress: 11%

Hi Joanne glad to see your hanging in there, so am I, I know what you mean about being sick of meat. Today Iam going to make some protine bead as Ive just invested in a new bread maker I belive that you can use it to make Lo carb pizza and french toast and Im sure Ill find other things to make with it, Iam also having for my dinner today Cornbeef Quiche made with Cornbeef
Tomatoes
Onions
Mushrooms
Cottage cheese
Eggs
Herbs (optional)
Salt & pepper

Put cornbeef in bottom of caserole dish, saute mushrooms and onions in frying pan in oil or butter then add to caserole dish
in a layer, mix 4 eggs with cottage cheese, herbs salt and pepper and pour over the top of layers, and put into oven Gas 6 for about 20mins.

you can eat this hot with salad or veg or put it into the fridge and eat cold in slices whenever you feel hungry.

Cheers Carol
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-01, 05:36
Registered Member

Stats: 154/150/119
BF:
Progress: 11%
Smile Replacing Potatoes

Hi Cheryl

I have found a real easy replacment for potatoes ( or spuds as we call them) buy a lovely big Squash put it inthe oven until cooked' Whalla' smother it with butter, you can also mash it and top your hotpot with it.

Hope this helps

Cheers Carol
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-01, 12:39
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Using squash makes me kind of nervous as far as the carb counts go. I used the Carb Counting Tool in the orange bar at the top of the page and came up with these numbers. Cauliflower is a much better alternative if you want something "mashed". All of these are for 1 cup of cooked vegetable.

Cauliflower
Total Carbohydrates 5.1 g
Dietary Fiber 3.34 g

Hubbard Squash
Total Carbohydrates 15.22 g
Dietary Fiber 6.84 g

Acorn Squash
Total Carbohydrates 29.89 g
Dietary Fiber 9.02 g

Zucchini
Total Carbohydrates 7.94 g
Dietary Fiber 2.90 g

Karen
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-01, 15:14

BF:
Smile Cauliflower It Is!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much about the information concerning the gram counts for the cauliflower and the squashes. I agree, the Cauliflower is much lower.

I went to the store and bought me some........cooked me a cup full and mashed them and put a little butter and a tiny bit of half and half.............and THEY WERE FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!! BETTER THAN REAL MASHED POTATOS!!! I really did enjoy them!

Thanks again for your help!
Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-01, 23:55
Living LaVita LoCarb

Thanks for all the ideas...I will try the squash later...when I can have a few more carbs...I am still on Atkins induction phase...
I will try the cauliflower soon...
I just completed day 5.....yipee...now off to bed with me. Only 9 more days till I get on the scale....I usually weight every day..but my scale at home fluxuates...My next support group meeting happens to fall on my 14th day of the induction phase...we didn't have weigh ins due to the holidays...so by the time I go back...I will have had a week of eating holiday food...then 14 days of Adtkins induction. I'm hoping for three to five pounds lost since my last weigh in.....because of the bad week I had before I started.
9 more days to find out how this is working for me. I feel good after 5 day. I'm not hungry all the time...
Yipeeee.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-01, 07:10

BF:
Default Hi Cheryl

I have been on the Atkins induction for 4 days and have lost 5 pounds!!!

I realize that is water, but with any diet the first to go is water, I think?

I am very pleased the way it is going, however, I have enough common sense to know that it won't be a pound a day forever. I feel sure that will slow down very soon, and I am prepared for that.

I am just so excited to see the scales moving backwards instead of UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

What kind of a support group do you go to? TOPS Maybe? I am wondering why the Low Carbs Experts have not started a business like WW? Strange to me that no one is jumping on the bank wagon to make millions like WW does?

Just my opinon......
Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-01, 10:45
Living LaVita LoCarb

Yes it's TOPS.
I don't like saying it too much...because some older members of TOPS only believe in the exchange diet....but that doesn't work for me. Supposedly in TOPS, you are only suposed to use the exchange diet...but some people in the group have had gastric by-pass and I know others are lo-carbing it too...but with certain members it's hush-hush.
I don't see why...my doctor knows I'm doing it...and she sent me to a personal dietitian/health advisor to keep an eye on my while I'm doing it...mostly because of other health issues I have...I will be seeing her once a month for at least a year. Partly because I want to adjust some of my medications as I can. I'm on 5 different medications...including blood pressure med...and I would like to eventually discontinue some of them. I'm to chicken to quit medications on my own.
TOPS is such a wonderful group....I don't think I could do it without them. My group is large...wonderful people... supportive... and I love them all. I even love the lady who complains about people being on other weight loss methods... such as gastric by pass and low carb.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-01, 18:54
Registered Member

Stats: 149/145/140
BF:
Progress: 44%

Hi JoAnn!

I'm 58 and am happy to see someone else in my age group. This is my first day. I started the Induction today, but I think I've already blown it. I'll post a question on another thread in a bit, but I wanted to say hello to you first.

I'm doing this because of high cholesterol. Not all the posts have been positive about this, but I still want to give it a try.

I'll "talk" to you later, I'm sure!

Janet
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-01, 20:32
Living LaVita LoCarb

Wow, your 1st day...I remember so well...that was 6 days ago...now the headaches are gone...I'm not hungry all the time...and I feel in control ... really really in control...The 1st 3 days are the worst...I had a bad headache... I kept up my courage...now I'm on the road to success.
Congratulations on taking the first step.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 08:05

BF:
Default Howdy Cheryl,

Thanks for your encouragement. I now have been on the Atkin's Induction for 6 days, and as of this morning I have lost 6 pounds. I think I am doing pretty darn good!

I realize this quicker weight is water, but I have to start somewhere. Right?

I too feel pretty much in control now. It sure does help to see those scales start moving downward. Doesn't it?

Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 08:19

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%
Default Re: Howdy Cheryl,

Quote:
Originally posted by JoAnnAtkin
I realize this quicker weight is water, but I have to start somewhere. Right?
Yes and don't worry about that JoAnn - Low carbing has a dieuretic effect, but that is excess water that you were carrying around as a result of all the processed junk in your system, and also as a result of not drinking enough water before you started low carbing. Most adults walk around in a constant state of dehydration and never know it. The body "survives" what we do to it in many ways - retaining water is one of those ways.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 08:51

BF:
Default Hello LCS!

I will not say I like the taste of the water, but I can see the more I drink of it the less I have to go to the bathroom. I can see it will get easier.

I have been drinking little more than 1/2 gallon probably about 74 oz. I will strive for more, but right now this is GREAT for me, when I never drank more than to take a pill. LOL

I hope I can keep it up!!!!!!!!!

Jo Ann in TEXAS