Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 00:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/163/170 Male 75 in.
BF:13
Progress: 123%
Default The fastest possible muscle gaining diet+workout

I will do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING it takes to build the most muscle in the quickest ammount of time possible. I will eat anything i need to eat, when i need to eat it. What is the best diet for me? I don't care how hard it is, i will do it.

I'm assuming - workout 3 times a week(30-45mins), aerobic 4 times for 20mins.

So basically i'm asking what nutrition will allow me to build muscle the fastest also what supplements will help me. Thanks in advance. Remember- i don't care how hard you may think it would be for me to do, i will do it, because i have complete control of me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 00:52
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Okay, you're male, and you're 6'3", and you only weigh 163 pounds? Glad you want to put on muscle, but why were you on Atkins? 200 pounds isn't a lot for a 6'3" man.

??

Now, how about you post up how you're training and eating now (in detail - start a gym log or a journal), including your calorie and macronutrient breakdown (grams fat, protein, carb).
If you're not sure, go to www.fitday.com and work it out.

And how old are you? (Training can be a bit different, depending on your age)
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 01:54
Registered Member

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 124/122/120 Female 65inches
BF:25/19/15
Progress: 50%

Hi There,

I couple of weeks ago I bought an e-book called 'Burn the fat, Feed the muscle'. I was a bit reluctant to buy it because it was 39dollars. But it is really really really good. It has loads of information about nutrition, cardio, weights. Really detailed and well explained, and eating plans etc.

Since I've been following this (five meals a day for a woman, six for a man, with protein, carb and fat ratios worked out) I have literally never had so much energy in my life. I feel like a different person. Also I have dramatically changed my workout and have found strength gains already.

All this info is available all over the place, so you could find it elsewhere, but this is a really good resource, very clearly written etc.

Everyone has individual needs and you would have to work out what suits you by trial and error at first- but this book will help you get started and show you how to monitor your results so you can tweak.

I really recommend it.

Best wishes
Alison

ps here's the web link http://www.burnthefat.com/
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 06:52

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

If you REALLY want to build muscle quickly.....first off I would drop the cardio. If you truely want to do some, then I wouldn't do it more than 2 days a week.

Do you know what your maintenance level calorie number? A good start would be to take that number and ADD 500 calories per day over your maintenance level. Eat 6 meals per day including a pre-workout and post-workout meal. Your post-workout meal should be a whey protein shake spiked with dextrose(I think it's dextrose, I get my sugars confused). I would shoot for around 1.5 grams of protein for every lbs of bodyweight.

For your actual workout plan if serious muscles are your goal, I would look into doing a 4 day split. Hope this information helps, I know it's all just general and not very specific but it gives you some stuff to go research now

BTW read the sticky at the top of this forum on some of the stuff Trainerdan has written. That is a wonderful place to start.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-04, 15:46
Registered Member

Plan: just low carb
Stats: 238/211/190 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

You wanna put on muscle, You gotta do core exercises. I assume you have some weight lifting experience so get yourself a 3 day split.

Day 1
Squat 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Leg press 4 sets 8-10 reps
Leg curls 4 sets 8-10 reps
Calf raises 4 sets 8-10 reps

Day 2 back and biceps
Dead lift 4 sets 8-10 reps
pull up 4 sets 8-10 reps
barbell row 4 sets 8-10 reps
preacher curl 2 sets 8-10 reps
decline curl 2 sets 8-10 reps

Day 3 chest,shoulders, and triceps
Bench 4 sets 8-10 reps
incline bench 4 sets 8-10 reps
military press 4 sets 8-10 reps
Dips 4 sets 8-10 reps
nose crushers 4 sets 8-10 reps

If you really wanna gain muscle scratch cardio and increase amount of protein in diet. Some people swear by creatine but it justs upsets my stomach. If you ignore everything else remember squats, deadlifts, and bench presses. Everything else is icing.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-04, 16:27
Registered Member

Plan: n/a
Stats: 150/129/? Male growing (5'4-5'5?)
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschmelz
If you REALLY want to build muscle quickly.....first off I would drop the cardio. If you truely want to do some, then I wouldn't do it more than 2 days a week.

That's not necessary. Just eat more...

Obviously if you're running for 3 hours at 10 mph, you're probably not going to gain much muscle, but the amount of cardio he's doing is fine.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-04, 17:05
Registered Member

BF:

Hmmmm - not so sure here about that cardio - depends on the intensity. While it CAN help minimize fat gains while bulking, it DOES fight it.

I think I'm with both mrschmelz AND agd on this one - 2x a week, but no more for now. DemiGod wants the muscle gain to be as FAST as possible. So DemiGod needs to eat more, lift heavy, and do less cardio.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 00:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/163/170 Male 75 in.
BF:13
Progress: 123%

Thanks guys.

Some more q's

How do i find maintence level of daily calories?

How much protein should i take in each day? More on workout days?

So up protein, reduce cardio, and lift heavy. 3 workouts a week. Any suggested supplements?

obviously protein whey, and creatine. But any others?

Thank you
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 01:45

Plan: none
Stats: 150/125/130 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

From my experience, it's best if you eat and gain weight. Then you can convert all of those weight you've gained into muscles.
Simple as that. Go to the gym at least 2 times a week and do weight lifting. Try doing free weights.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 07:58
Registered Member

BF:

I've listed my supps on the first page of my gym log if you'd like to see what I take.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 13:29

Plan: TKD - semi low carb
Stats: 260/238/210 Male 76
BF:??%/28%/15%
Progress: 44%

I agree with the previous post, you need to be eating 500+ calories over your maintenance (watch the scale move up) and eat at least 1 gram of protein per pound.

And common wisdom is that ketosis is not optimal for adding muscle. It can be done, but most experts suggest more of an isocaloric diet so that muscle glycogen is filled up and anabolic hormones are turned up.

Also realize that with muscle gain there is a tagalong fat gain. Your extra calories have to go somewhere, just hope it is mostly muscle. Train Hard and Sleep Well.