Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 11:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/220/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs down I need help! Fell off the wagon and the wagon has run me over

I was very successful with Low carb last year. I fell off the wagon and I am gaining. :-( I was doing Atkins.

Questions:
1. What is really the best low carb plan?

2. How can I get motiviated to start again?

Any advice, suggestions, are welcomed.

Thank you in advance
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 11:49
The Spandex Killer

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 206.2/206.2/145 Female 5'9.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

1. What is really the best low carb plan?

The one that works for you and is maintainable long-term.

2. How can I get motiviated to start again?

You have to want it -- motivation comes from within. Just some general ideas: maybe you could list all the reasons you want to lose weight and then post it in several places. Read it every day. Set a firm goal and write down the steps it would take to achieve it. Make a serious promise to yourself -- as serious as a wedding vow and then keep it. You deserve it.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 12:00

BF:
Progress:
Default Is this true?

Is it true that once you low carb and stop, it does not work as well the 2nd time around?

Atkins - I loved it, but I stoped losing, could not keep up with eating full fat.

Sugar Busters - Loved it, lost very well, doctor was happy that I was eating lean and low fat stuff. The grains, were triggers and made me go over board.

Zone - To complicated

Protein Power - I read this, maybe I should try it.

:-(
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 12:08

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

I think you have to find what works for you. On the main page of this website there is a link to find the best lc program for you. check that out and see what you think.

I have heard that people have a "golden shot" doing lc the first time. But I also hear that many people restart and are successful. It may not be 3-5 pounds a week weight loss, but perhaps 1-2 pounds. I never got a "golden shot" and generally lose just 1-2 a week even though this is the first time I've low carbed.

If you're ready to lose the rest of the weight, the best thing you can do is jump back in! You already know what works (and stalls do happen, even for first timers). So you can get back on track and see how that goes. then you can start tweaking if you aren't seeing the results you want.

Good luck! I'm sure you can do this a second time and be successful!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 12:22

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 265/244/145 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi karagal,

I know all too well about being run over by the wagon. I have been trying this off and on since 2001. I've 'tried' Protein Power, Atkins, Body for Life, and some of my own creations. I typed 'tried' in quotes because I'm not so sure how much I really tried. I have started back on Atkins induction right now. Overall, I've found that the more restricted the plan, the better it is for me not to lose control. The second plan that I like especially for times when I am really busy is BFL because it is easy to find frozen dinners and nutrition bars with the equal carb and protein servings.

I agree with cheesypoof, motivation has to come from within. I don't have much advice, but I'll share with you what finally got me back on track after being far gone astray for many months is the realization that I deserved this. People have told me that all along and I don't know whether I didn't believe it or if I just didn't care. Now I am trying to remind myself all day long that I have to do this for me. I would always put in grat effort for the benefit of others, I'm tying now to apply it to me.

Good luck, and keep posting-- that helps, too!

Jeanette
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 12:35

BF:
Progress:
Default Bfl

What plan is this?

Thanks
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 13:04
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

If you figure out how to force motivation, let me know! We can bottle it and go into business and make a mint! I've never been able to force the whole motivation thing. The only thing I've been able to do is keep myself in the right place, so that when it hits, I'm ready to take advantage of it. Just being here and continuing to try is being in the right place. All the other ideas, affirmations, inspirational quotes, self talk, they all help keep you in the right place and prepare you for when the motivation hits. Actually, I think motivation hits a lot, usually we are in the drive thru line at McDonalds though, so by the time we've finished lunch, it's passed. So, keep trying the low-carb and eventually the motivation will hit and the two will click. At least that's my humble opinion on the issue.

I don't buy the golden shot theory. If anything, I think the first time works best because you follow the rules the way they were written. The second time, we tend to bend them more because we've done this before so we "know" what works for us, so we think.

I know nothing about SugarBusters, but could you do it without the grains? If that was the thing that sent you over, try it without. Also, what kind of grains? Maybe you don't do well with wheat, but could eat rye? And were you eating grains in the form of bread? I find I don't do well with bread period, but I can eat the Wasa Rye crackers, a flat, unleavened whole grain rye cracker, but none of the soft chewiness that seduces me in bread.

Good luck, and welcome back to low-carbing.

Valerie
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 13:05
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

BFL = Body for Life - many use it for the exercise component of the plan, but many don't like the food plan as written.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 19:56

BF:
Default Bfl

BFL is Body for Life. The eating part basically consists of 6 meals where you eat one portion of carbs and one portion of protein. The portion depends on the individual. I was pretty successful on it, but the exercise component is a big commitment; you get results, though. They do advicate the leaner foods, but that makes sense with the higher carbs. I found it very sensible. It is not LOW carb like Atkins' 20g but it is much LESS carb than I would normally be eating. I ran about 120g carb per day.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 20:29

BF:
Default Bfl

One more thing I forgot, with BFL there is one day a week when you eat whatever you want.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 20:43

Plan: keto/paleo with IF 18/6
Stats: 215.0/198.6/175 Female 68
BF:yes
Progress: 41%

My favorite quote is " This will not taste as good as thin will feel".

I believe in the golden shot theory...I was losing fairly well the first time around. When I fell off the wagon I gained back everything plus more. Now I have been stalled for almost 4 weeks after losing 9 lbs in about 3 weeks. I need strict induction because even low carb muffins (from atkins mix) just makes me want more. SF jello with whipping cream and crystal lights popsicles get me thru most cravings, but it gets harder after a muffin or something like it (which I made and froze for emergency "i'm starving!!!" food). Now I cook up 6 chicken breasts at a time and have salad or spinach ready at all times.

Excercise is the key. I know that I feel like I am losing body fat from my back (of all places!), doing pilates excercises that target belly, butt and thighs.

Keep checking in here and fitday...I find it helps keep me motivated looking at all the weight that others have lost..and I know I can do it.
Mae