Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 19:30
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Atkins goes to the movies

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarep...essions26.html#

Atkins goes to the movies

Low-carb bars join theater chain's concessions cast

Jun. 26, 2004 12:00 AM

Dan Harkins knows diet fads. In 1976, he was showing the Arnold Schwarzenegger weight-lifting documentary Pumping Iron at his Camelview theater in Scottsdale when he noticed that the concession stand was doing little business.

The Valley theater owner ventured into the screening room, which was filled with muscle-bound spectators who weren't eating popcorn or candy bars. Harkins, ever the entrepreneur, refused to be defeated.

"I rushed to a health-food store," he recalls, "and bought a couple of cases of protein bars."

Concessions sales shot up to normal.

Two decades later, Harkins is responding to another craze: the Atkins diet. That grants the weight-loss formula its deepest foray into enemy territory - movie concession stands, which are regarded as places where willpower crumbles.

Harkins is selling low-carb Atkins Advantage chocolate bars at 10 locations and may expand the line if sales are brisk.

AMC, the Valley's other major theater chain, began selling sugar-free Russell Stover Pecan Delights candy about a year ago, spokesman Rick King said.

"We continue to look for items that might get traction with our guests," King said. "But so far, (we) have not further expanded those offerings."

Although such moves are a nod to the health-conscious, most theater foods - popcorn, candy bars, nachos - are still built to expand the waistline.

Despite such temptations, experts say it's possible to snack at the movies and not wreck your diet.

"I think it's the either-or thing," says Patti Milligan, a registered dietitian and corporate nutritionist for Sprouts Farmers Market.

She advises that people choose a single high-calorie snack rather than multiple items.

"If you're going to do the beverage, fine," she says. "Or choose the popcorn or the sugary snacks. But recognize that it's going to be about 400 to 500 calories. If you really feel like you've got to have a snack at the movies, plan it in (to your diet)."

Milligan also suggests dividing a snack among those in the group.

"If we decide popcorn's our thing, we'll definitely go and get a popcorn, then we split it up," she says.

Nancy Groben, a math teacher at Sunnyslope High School, employs a different scheme to cut calories at the movies.

"I usually don't go to the movies hungry," she says. "I usually go right after a meal, or I go to the movies and then we're going to go to dinner after.

"If I want to nibble on something in the movies, I don't buy anything there. I bring it with me in my purse. There's nothing there that I can buy."

Although that may work for Groben, Terri Taylor, nutrition educator for Scottsdale Healthcare, says it's not realistic to expect people to abstain from movie snacks.

"Portions are the big problems," she says. "It's not necessarily the carbs or the fat, it's the portions of the foods we're eating.

"Unfortunately, some of the portions are pretty big there."

Taylor recommends a small unbuttered popcorn, which offers fiber and fills you.

Observing such rules is probably more important for frequent moviegoers.

"If you're going to the movies once a month and it's a big treat for you all . . . it probably doesn't matter," she says.

Harkins says he's committed to offering healthful snacks (he pops his popcorn in canola oil rather than coconut oil, for example) but acknowledges that people treat movie-going as a celebration and tend to break their diets when they go.

"It's like eating birthday cake at a birthday party," says Harkins, who, like most theater owners, derives most of his profits from concession sales.

Though Harkins is helping some dieters with Atkins bars, the dietitians warn that low-carb bars aren't necessarily diet food. They may meet the needs of Atkins dieters, but they contain plenty of calories. The Atkins Advantage bar, while advertising just two "net carbs," has 220 calories, including 100 from fat.

"Those things can be very misleading because there is no legal definition of what low-carb is, and they're still full of calories," Taylor says. "Low-carb and low calories are not the same thing."

Groben, the math teacher, suspects a profit motive behind Atkins bars at the movies.

"Everybody's doing it," she says. "I think that's why movies are starting to. Because they can make money, that's why, and they want to cater to the public."

Reach Muller at (602) 444-8651.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-04, 22:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Quote:

Ha! I come from a family who ate popcorn every Sunday night, and we popped and ate absolutely gallons of it! Popcorn never has filled me up until I've eaten around 2 quarts of the stuff. And unbuttered popcorn is just nasty!

I'm thinking next movie I go to, though, I'm going to do the sunflower seed thing. I'll probably even be nice and spit the seeds into a container instead of the floor.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-04, 07:52

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:

Quote:

Hah! I tried this recently, although mine had extra butter on it, and I was miserable the rest of the day. No thanks, I'll stick with my normal behavior of not eating at the movies. I don't even really know why I had the popcorn in the first place. I wasn't craving it, I wasn't hungry, I just decided on a lark. Bad lark!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-04, 08:03
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

sunflower seeds worked well with me. The problem was that I can only eat the roasted salted kind and my fingers got all dry and wrinkled after eating 2.5 servings worth (the whole bag) it did last longer than the 3 hours but I wasnt able to put the bag down.

I honestly dont know why theaters dont carry nuts and seeds as snacks.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-04, 09:37

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I had a small Popcorn and a Diet Coke at the last movie I went to about a week ago. I don't consider it a cheat because I planned for it. I got it Buttered, though. I won't eat unbuttered Popcorn. Nice thing about this theatre was that at least according to their website, they pop their popcorn in COCONUT OIL and they claim on their signage to use "REAL" BUTTER.

They have a web board on their site and some Vegan was trying to get them to switch to "a Healthier Oil such as Sunflower Oil." I just had to put in my own comment telling them to stick with the Coconut Oil. Only downside is their portions are pretty large. Their sizes are 11 cups [85 fl.oz.,] 16 cups [130 fl.oz.,] and 21 cups [170 fl.oz.] which is as I suspected at first sight a larger than normal portion size for the small. The small looked almost as big as a large was a while back.

http://www.sunrisecinemas.com/messboard/

Vegan who wants them to get rid of the Coconut Oil
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-04, 12:24

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Personally I consider it rude to eat while the movie is playing. All that rustling and crunching noise is distracting. If I am going to have something to eat I do it during the previews.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-04, 15:30

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??

Quote:
Personally I consider it rude to eat while the movie is playing. All that rustling and crunching noise is distracting. If I am going to have something to eat I do it during the previews.

Hmmm. Interesting thought. With all the noise the movie makes I can barely hear my hubby when he talks straight into my ear--no way I can hear someone chewing popcorn or nuts.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-04, 19:33

Plan: Atkins,SB,GI now!
Stats: 217/206/150 Female 5'4''
BF:i/cant/count
Progress: 16%

If I want to eat at the movie theater, all I gotta do is stuff a bottle of Aquafina and an Advantage bar in my purse. And nobody would know, b/c the ushers don't check bags like their supposed to. Besides movie theater popcorn is always stale. Yuck
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 09:39
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilaCotton
Ha! I come from a family who ate popcorn every Sunday night, and we popped and ate absolutely gallons of it! Popcorn never has filled me up until I've eaten around 2 quarts of the stuff. And unbuttered popcorn is just nasty!

I'm thinking next movie I go to, though, I'm going to do the sunflower seed thing. I'll probably even be nice and spit the seeds into a container instead of the floor.

Maybe you're my long lost sibling? My family had that tradition too! We ate popcorn and ice cream on Sunday nights. The rest of the week, our mom was a health food Nazi, but Sunday nights were a treat night.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-04, 09:49

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

I like popcorn on occasion, but tend to choke on it, so I avoid it. In EVERY place I have ever worked, tho, it's been a common snack food to have on hand. Over the years the type has changed....air popped was common in the late 70's, early 80's.

My complaint? The smell of it being popped! Or even worse, being burned!!!!!!!!!!!

Have to add....one of the women if my current office takes care of supplying the kitchen with popcorn. She buys the lowfat, but also gets the butter ones. Each person pays 25cents or so for each bag. Recently she got a fat-free "butter" from the same company. It was so bad, she put a note on it in the kitchen with a note that it was free! Along with an advisory that it "has the taste and consistency of high grade styrofoam" LOL

It ended up gettinng thrown out.