Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 06:54

Plan: Atkins, Pre-Maintenance
Stats: 278.3/175/165 Female 64
BF:42%/15.9%/14-15%
Progress: 91%
Default Need opinions... please read!!

Good morning everyone!! I have been thinking of starting over with induction but not sure if I should....

I was about 7-10 lbs from goal (was at 162)... I haven't been on the scale for about a week.. I got on the scale this morning jsut because it was bugging me and up to 169...

I have been on Wellbutrin for almost 4 weeks.. Two of the side effects that could happen has happened and I want to stop it before it gets out of control.... Weight gain and increased appetite... The weight gain (the dr said) is usually about 5% and then it levels off... The increased appetite he also said is quite normal...

This past week my appetite has soared totally out of control... Now I haven't actually "cheated" (meaning no pasta, rice, etc) but I have had A LOT of fruit.. I just seem to be craving it... Temptations are horrible... I could have sat right down with my DDs yesterday and ate their chicken nuggets and french fries... which by the way I didn't...

I feel I need to get my appetite back under control.. I am currently on Pre-Maintenance but what do you think? I was thinking of doing at least 1 week of induction just to clean out my system and cleanse it (so to speak)....

So what are your opinions? YEA or NAH... if it is YEA I will proudly join the Starting Over Group... If not, give me some ideas on what would help... I hate not having fruit in the house because my girls love fruit... usually the temptations are neel... but dang this week it is horrible!!!

Thanks again,
Juls
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 07:37
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I dont think it would hurt you any to go back to induction to try and get cravings under control and detox so to speak.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 07:38

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Arrow

Go back to OWL. It will help and hopefully get your cravings under control.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 07:39
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 271/271/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I think it's a good idea to do the induction again for a week to get things back under control, then add the fruits back a bit at a time. Might actually help you, too, sort of like breaking the diet on purpose to help stop a stall. Dr. Atkins said that fruit isn't a good choice, but it happend accidentally so might as well make the best of it!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 07:39
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

step back a few phases. maybe do induction for a week, then go back through the phases faster then you did the first time.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 08:33
Fu Fu Kitty

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/236/175 Female 5' 5.5
BF:
Progress: 39%

Hello neighbor!
I'm sorry to read that you're on an anti-depressant. I took Paxil for about a year and my weight went up, up, up! But, I wasn't even trying to diet. I took my Paxil and I didn't care about anything, eventually.
I got off of it ,cold turkey, last October and there's no looking back! So far, so good.
I don't know the circumstances as to why you're taking Wellbutrin, but it's good that you're reconizing the side effects and are trying to do something about it now. I'd say to try going back to induction and see if that helps.
By the way, I think that you have done a great job with your weight loss. You were one of the first people to be an inspiration to me on this web site.
Hang in there!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 09:07

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Wow! I've always heard that Wellbutrin causes you to lose weight! I'm sorry to hear you are having problems.

L
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 09:50
Registered Member

Stats: // Female short
BF:
Progress:

I concur with those who say go back on Induction for a week, and then increase your carbs gradually but faster than regular OWL. You are in glycogen overload, and you need to "detox" or your cravings will get the best of you. It is not a psychological reaction, it is a physiological one.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 10:17
Contributing Member

Stats: 259/190/135 Female 5'5
BF:OMG Too Much
Progress: 56%

Try Induction to get those cravings under control.

And good for you, identifying and dealing with this issue. WTG!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 10:20

Holy Cow!!! A gal asks for help and look at everybody come running.... THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

I will try induction for at least a week, maybe two, and see what happens... if not I will definitely talk to the doctor... I have come too far to let anything stand in my way of reaching goal

Thanks again everyone!! You are the best!!!!

Juls
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 11:57

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Vicious cycle

When I start eating fruit, it takes over, so it may have been a casual slip and which then started the whole ball rolling.

Many people find Wellbutrin makes them more "active," as opposed to some of the SSRIs, which can make people less anxious and more "content." Could be that increased activity is making you hungry; could also be the fruit sugars calling. Are you really hungry, or do you just want to eat more?

As above, get sugar-clean and see what happens. You might also ask your doctor about adjusting the medication dose. Did you taper-on? Some people find twice a day every day is just a bit too much, and cut back the second dose as needed--maybe 10 or 11 pills a week, instead of 14.

YMMV.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 12:16

Increased activity has certainly happened... I have always exercised quite a bit but about week into this medicine I was walking 10-12 miles a day, also doing BFL, bike riding, among other things...

The first week I was one pill a day 150mg. Now I am on 300 mg once a day. I find that my best time to take it is around 12-1 p.m. It gives me the boost that I think I need for the rest of the evening as the late afternoon/early evenings times is when I would start the downhill slide...

Thanks everyone!!

Juls