Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: What are people's reactions to you doing atkins?
Supportive - They think it's great! 21 13.73%
Supportive- But unsure about it 73 47.71%
Neutral- not really bothered either way 16 10.46%
Completely unsupportive- they think its the devils work! 36 23.53%
Don't know 7 4.58%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

#31   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 03:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/173/180 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

this is what i tell the people at work who really hate the fact that i have lost over 50 pounds and have more muscle mass than i have ever had.....WHAT PART OF I DONT GIVE DAMN WHAT YOU THINK DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 03:19
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I`was in the market the other day and someone commented on atkins, I told them I had lost over 2 stones on it and they said - it isn't good for your liver and kidneys is it? So I said, not for people who think they can do it without guidance it isn't!! I said people who do low fat low carb end up with problems, not sensible people! It shut her up and she didn't comment further. It is so frustrating though that people cant just accept that thousands of people can lose a lot of weight on atkins or lc diets
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 05:16

Plan: very low fiber
Stats: 225/225/150 Female 67 in.
BF:dont know
Progress: 0%

I am not on akins per se, but thinking about swiching from SBD to aktins for life...and saw this tread and had to reply....it amazes me the crap I get from this WOE, my DH is loving and supportive, on the plan with me, my co workers and strangers though...yikes!!!
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 05:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264.0/146/139 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress: 94%

No one except my husband know that it's Atkins I am doing ~ that is my secret because I don't want to hear any crap from anyone who doesn't understand this WOL and only knows what they hear from critics ~ well, with 67 pounds shedded ~ to hell with them!
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 05:39

Plan: LCarb
Stats: 200/173/124 Female 5ft 3"
BF:
Progress: 36%

its so nice to see my poll sparked so much interest! My boyfriend who was originally against it says that he is really impressed, and that it is the first diet I don't always go on about how hungry I am, but the other day someone just told me that I could get very ill because it wasn't a balanced diet etc etc. but then I thought hey, what is worse for you being 30 lbs overweight or having to supplement your diet with vitamins, and when they started going on about dog breath I thought, better to have breath like a dog than look like one!!! (and who says we got dog breath anyway... woof!)
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 05:44
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

No one argues with the amount of weight I have lost, or how much better I look. But I'm frequently asked if I worry about how much fat I'm eating. I just answer "no," and leave them to think whatever they will.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 06:39
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%
Lightbulb

As I sit here and try to get my eyes open with coffee, I had to think a minute.. 'has anyone said anything about the way i eat?' strange thing.... I'm not sure anyone in South Florida is eating carbs!!!!!
the grocers, the specialty markets, and people with ad wraps on their vehicles are exploiting low carb groceries in the neighborhood..
I hear people literally cheering at the cashier when they hold up their Low Carb ice cream they found in the freezer... Or me... with my cheers of low carb tortillas in my grocers!!!
I don't think anyone in South Florida is eating carbs to tell you the truth.. And all the restaurants are adhering to people requesting starch be removed from their plates. The little breakfast dives we go to in the mornings are substituting bacon for the grits and toast. So.... I'm not sure anyone is eating carbs down here...

But in all seriousness, I took my 12 yr old son to see "SuperSize Me" last week. We were both pretty shocked at the movie. I think that movie should be mandatory in all schools, and training camps, should be seen by every single living human being.. And somewhere, the fast food industry has got to eliminate the carb laden foods that is killing our society. But then.... that would be propoganda huh?
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 06:57

Plan: Semi-LC/Alt. Day Fasting
Stats: 229/221/150 Female 5'8"
BF:Goal is 22%
Progress: 10%

Back in the bad old days of 1998, I heard everything from getting a nasty comment from a cashier when pork rinds went across the scanner "Those things will kill you!", to dire warnings of having my kidneys fail, to heart attacks, to my mother trying constantly to feed me carbs, to predictions of putting it all back on again because "You know, once you start eating carbs again you will put it all back on and more".

Well, the last part is true. I learned carb control, not portion control, so when I started eating carbs again (eating low carb portions), I SLOWLY put the weight back on, over a period of 5 years.

The Atkids now have it easier, because I don't hear many of those comments any more, and the attitude has become much more receptive (except for hard-line low fat propagandists). I also don't tell people I low carb unless I trust them not to be a-holes about it. I had been barraged with so many well-meant death threats that I just don't bother.

So, the people who matter to me do support it, and I really don't even bother telling others unless they're receptive. I have a running commentary with a guy who recently underwent a heart attack, and HE is low carbing, and we swap food lists.

Vicky
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 08:35

Plan: Mostly General
Stats: 235/235/170 Female 5 ft 4
BF:

PiolotGal, your favorite link isn't work. I clicked on it and got the
"The page cannot be displayed" message.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 08:35

Plan: Low Carb(Atkins)
Stats: 350/288/220 Male 70"
BF:yes !
Progress: 48%

Someone asked me how much I had lost the other day, and I told them 105 pounds in the last year. When asked how, I said Atkins. They told me it would kill me. I said well at least I will not need as many poll-bearers as I would have last year.

Most people are supportive. They are amazed at the transformation that is taking place. I always tell them I am eating better then I have ever eaten in the past 45 years.
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 08:37

Plan: Mostly General
Stats: 235/235/170 Female 5 ft 4
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrodb
Someone asked me how much I had lost the other day, and I told them 105 pounds in the last year. When asked how, I said Atkins. They told me it would kill me. I said well at least I will not need as many poll-bearers as I would have last year.

Most people are supportive. They are amazed at the transformation that is taking place. I always tell them I am eating better then I have ever eaten in the past 45 years.

Should have said "Oh really? Then why am I here talking to you then? Obviously I'm doing something right!"
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 08:58

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

i've noticed that the only people who are against me doing atkins are people who are overweight themselves.. its really odd. All of my normal weight friends couldn't care less.
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 10:29

Stats: 192/165/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:Shrinking
Progress: 52%

Most everyone is supportive. But, I still get comments like:

"I tried it, but felt so sick I gave up"
"I worry about all that saturated fat"
"I can't do without breads and pastas" (I think to myself, a carb addict with out of control insulin)
"Don't you get bored?" (I tell them yes, but I was already bored with my diet before this WOL)
"How much longer are you going to stay on it??" (I tell them, indefinately, it's a WOL)
"If you lose any more, you'll disappear" (Not likely -- my size 12 butt is clearly visable, LOL)
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 10:30

Stats: 222/195/160 Male 5 ' 7 "
BF:
Progress: 44%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker
i've noticed that the only people who are against me doing atkins are people who are overweight themselves.. its really odd. All of my normal weight friends couldn't care less.

its almost like they are afraid you will succeed, maybe they feel threatened.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 10:33

Plan: Atkins,SB,GI now!
Stats: 217/206/150 Female 5'4''
BF:i/cant/count
Progress: 16%

My dad thinks Weight Watchers and exercise is all you need. But I already tried WW and I only lost like 3 pounds. But my mom thinks it's safe and as long I feel good and am having results that's all that matters