Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: What are people's reactions to you doing atkins?
Supportive - They think it's great! 21 13.73%
Supportive- But unsure about it 73 47.71%
Neutral- not really bothered either way 16 10.46%
Completely unsupportive- they think its the devils work! 36 23.53%
Don't know 7 4.58%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 04:39

Plan: LCarb
Stats: 200/173/124 Female 5ft 3"
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default what are people's reactions to you doing atkins!

what are people's reactions to you doing atkins?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 04:52

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'm the only overweight person in the office so they think I'm eating too much too often when I have midday snacks.They may have a point.

I get a salad for lunch-they thing I'm breaking my diet.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 05:52

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 188/173/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 39%

My family is done with aggravating me about LC, if they do, I go into a very long intense explanation of why LCing works . I think they are tired of hearing it, LOL!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 05:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I frequently get the "I know that people have died on Atkins". But when I tell them how much I have lost and they see how healthy I am, that shuts them right up .

Orchid
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 06:00
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

My family is very supportive, it's the strangers and a few friends that are supportive but now sure about it.

Either ways they won't dare tell me that it'll kill me cause they know I can be a biatch and snap at them and give them an Atkins 101 lesson.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 06:00

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%

My family is getting more supportive since seeing the results. Even my sister-in-law who is a confirmed carb lover (she's told me many times that she could live on pasta and bread alone) has become more aware of the carbs she eats. She's actually begun to cut back, somewhat unconciously, and the other night she ate a big spaghetti dinner and she said she felt bloated and gassy afterwards. She immediately thought it might be the high amount of carbs she ate. I told her that many people on this forum have experienced the same thing. It definitely made her think.

I'm having a checkup on July 1 and once I do that my wife will feel better. She still has some qualms about the amount of fat I eat, especially saturated fats. I try and inform her as much as possible without preaching. She's away for a few weeks teaching at summer programs and I gave her the Atkins Essentials book for her to read. Hopefully she will.

Most people are supportive because they can see the results on me, but most still don't know that much and have heard mixed things, bad from some people, good from others. Time will tell.

Plane Crazy about this WOE
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 06:25
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 175/146/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 73%

I had a girl at work tell me I would look so nice and slim in my coffin. This is coming from someone who is about 25lbs overweight, and her 17 year old daughter is at least 50lbs overweight. She was telling me I needed carbs. I told her I do eat carbs-just not from mashed potatoes, hot rolls like they do.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 06:35

Stats: 248/140/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 105%

My family is supportive, but other than that, I don't really discuss it.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 06:39

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

I think the fact that I am pregnant makes people freak out when I say I am doing atkins. I am happy with it, my doctor is happy with it but even some people that do atkins themselves are weird about my doing it while pregnant. Then again there are plenty of other people that know that atkins is more than just 20 carbs a day for life and have been quite supportive. I guess it just depends on what people actually know about Atkins that determines the responses I seem to get.

Jenn
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 07:44

Stats: 210/204/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

LOL orchidday!!! That's a new one, people saying they know someone who died on Atkins! That is the funniest thing yet!
I do have a neighbour who tells me how bad it is, and her doctor said it's too much fat.....But, like AFwife, they know I'll school them in a minute, and I have, so they leave me alone.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 08:53
"Princess" of Norway

Plan: Atkins / Lindberg
Stats: 187/169/143 Female 162 cm
BF:Yes
Progress: 41%

My DH is unbelivably supportive, my colleagues and MIL asks me when I'm going to start eat "normally" again. My steph father calls me a fanatic, my mother is proud I've lost weight and is cheering me on (but she still don't get what LC good is and never understands why I don't eat this and that). My grandmother (98) is scared I'll die before she does. My son ans DIL needs to lose weight themselves and are constantly asking questions how and what. My best friends comment on the weight loss but don't understand how I can live without potatoes, rice, pasta and bread..... and they can't understand how I can eat (LC) cheesecake, (SF) jello with whipped cream or all the other yummy stuff I eat. But the best thing - my present doctor (whom my DH calls Dr. Mengele - she is german and used to be the doc from hell) told me last time I was there that if everybody was eating like I did, she would have happydays ! Mind you, I didn't say the A word......just gave her my printout of my mealplan/menu from Fitday and my stats !

Everybody is reacting differently - and honestly I don't really care what they think. This is good for ME, - and I look great !!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 08:57
Brown-Eyed Girl

Stats: 260/153/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Most people have been unbelievably supportive. Mostly, I just hear people say, there's no way they ever could have stuck to it. Especially now, they see how well I've done and are constantly complimenting me on my decision to really stick with this. I think that even with all the information out there, a lot of people still just don't know much about atkins and whenever I hear someone with more of a negative attitude, I stop and explain, I've basically just cut out sugars, white flour, pasta and bread. That usually really surprises them.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 09:10
Registered Member

Stats: 218/208/140 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 13%

My sil told me that I was loosing muscle too. She told me that her pills she sells are healthier. hahaha

I really haven't told anyone elese besides my husband who is supportive.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 09:15

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

People that are educated or have tried the Atkins or LC life are completely supportive including my family (which is a good thing). Those who are not educated about LC are the opposite...one such person is one of our VP's...he's on Low Fat (or so he says) due to high cholestral and takes pops at me whenever I am eating that delicious burger (minus bun) or heavy-salad-dressed salad.... Heck, I even showed him my cholestral test results (proudly at 126 and my tryglyceride level - proudly at 54) on my so-called artery clogging diet..... HE STILL did not believe it.

DOesn't bother me any more...actually, I have to laugh ... I have given up the crusade on changing people's mind.....I really don't care.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 09:46

Plan: Carnivoire
Stats: 373.6/373.6/150.0 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

My DH and family are very supportive (heck my parents saw the results I was getting ...first time around... and started LC also). But everyone else is so against it. They tell me how awful it is and how anyone who does it is stupid and looking for a quick fix. Unfortunately when these events occur I can't even defend myself as they are usually at social gatherings where it's me against 6 or 8 people and those odds coupled with all the junk going on in my life now are something I just can't hand;e. So I usually hide it from people I don't know and go about my WOL knowing at least I have my families support.