Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-04-01, 21:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 193/183/120
BF:
Progress: 14%
Unhappy

Has anyone out there done really well, then an evening comes along and nothing sounds good. But you have some cheese and ham for dinner but nothing tastes just right. Then there is the candy, I broke and ate 6 pieces of Good and Plenty Licorase, and 1 wrapped piece of Smarties. Now I feel bad and wonder how this will affect my losing. I have lost 7 # in 10 days. I am sort of getting tired of all the meat and cheese. I know I am a whiner. I was adding green beans, asparagus along with salad which I really am not fond of salad but came to a stand still with weight and checked my keytones and was just barely registering on stick. Maybe its just hormones, lets blame it on that. Maybe I am just in a bad mood this evening. I have had tons of energy till tonight, this was before the candy. But all of today I just feel draggy. Oh well if any one has suggestions or can relate, please let me know.

Thanks

Barb
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-04-01, 21:49
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Barb,

Sure happens. Best thing to do is get right back into induction. I used to feel too bad about which makes delay and indulge even more (if you feel too bad, you need comfort food).

Getting bored with low-carb food means you're not eating delicious food that you enjoy, so just jazz-up your food (Check Karen's article in the tips section).

One more thing, many beginners are obsessed with the scale. If a week goes by without a weight loss (even if they lose in measurements), they think they're stalled and mentally give up. A stall is when it's several weeks with no fat loss (not weight loss), and they do break if one continues.

So don't let this get you down, jump right back in and you can do it!

Hope this helps,

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-05-01, 06:03

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Yep Barb, I know exactly what you mean. Like the night my adorable husband made chocolate chip cookies (not knowing I was already craving cholocate). I looked at him, looked at the cookies and then saw the sign I made for my 'fridge. I looked back at him and said, hide those please and walked out.

I made some of the low-carb chocolate over the weekend and put it in the fridge just incase I get any more of those cravings. (man is that stuff rich)

Just curious but how did you fix meat before you went on the diet? I am fixing the same type of dishes I use to make only minus the bread, pasta, pototoes, rice and tomato stuff. Watch the cheese intake as cheese does have carbs in it.

Try the low carb chocolate for those times you feel like derailing yourself. It really does help and even though your mind thinks you are being bad by eating the cholocate, your body just giggles.

BTW 7 pounds in 10 days is terrific! Keep going!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-05-01, 07:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Me too Barb,

been there done that. I don't beat my self up though. Knowing how I ate before this woe (which was awful), I know I have sure improved, big time! My down fall is chocolate and sure enough I was grabbing at least one bar a week. I have since stopped as I now buy sugar free chocolate.

My weight loss doesn't happen every week. I tend to stay the same for two to three weeks, then I lose 3-4 pounds, which of course averages about a 1lb a week.

I figure Barb, if you want something bad enough, then eat it. If not... one forever thinks about it and ends up eventually pigging out worse. With a couple of bits then the craving is over and done with!

With the meats and cheese. Like Wa'il says, check out the recipes as this will bring new flavours to you.

Don't worry Barb your doing fine with your loss truly. Be patient hang in there, as you will see more, try and get creative if need be with your food.

Wendy
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-05-01, 08:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

barb, your weight loss is great! you're cheat wasn't really too bad though. if i'd done that, it would have triggered a full blown binge.
i've heard before that ketosis is like being pregnant. you are or you're not. so as long as you're registering the lightest pink, you're still in ketosis. i've heard the colour depends on when you use the stix. you're body isn't flushing out ketones all day long. so, be happy with your lightly coloured stix. you're on the right track, but like everyone else says, you just need to jazz up your induction! that's what karen's tip column is called.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-05-01, 18:25

Plan:
Stats: 143/141/130
BF:
Progress:

Hi Barb,
I think one thing to remember is Progress not Perfection. Thats my mind set now. Though I am striving to be perfect!

One of the reasons I ended up breaking it is because I found the food so boring and tasteless. This is my own fault because I haven't been putting effort into cooking.

Today is my first day back on the program in earnest and I intend to use recipes from this site and plan in advance so there are no excuses.

I also have found that a bit of low carb choc can do the trick if you must have something sweet.

7lbs in 10 days is great. Keep up the good work!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-05-01, 19:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 193/183/120
BF:
Progress: 14%

Thank you all for your support. I am back on program today and feel much better about everything. It sure helps to know you are not out there all alone. I am curious if there is anyone out there that has had high cholesterol say 250 to 280 and after being on Adkins for awhile what it is.

I will have blood drawn in June as that is my 6 months, I am on blood pressure meds, and thyroid so this is a must. I am anxious to see what it will be.

If it is lower, I will celebrate and you are all invited.

Thanks so much for all your help and caring.

Barb