Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 23:33
Smilie Queen

Plan: Atkins/SB
Stats: 140/128.5/? Female 5'5"
BF:33%/27/22%
Progress: 60%
Default For those wondering about Cortislim

I started taking Cortislim last Friday, and am going to keep track of the results in my journal, so stop by to check out my (hopefully) good progress!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 01:52

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Pardon my ignorance, but what is it?

Val
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 08:56
Smilie Queen

It is a natural supplement meant to control cortisol levels in the body. Cortisol is a hormone that tells your body to hold on to fat.
Here in Southern California, radio has been inundated for ads for this product, and after finding out I had high levels of cortisol decided to check it out.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 09:05

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Please keep in touch with me about this as I have had high levels of cortisol for no apparent reason, although after taking gingko for a few months it dropped. So I am of course very interested. Who makes the product...I am in Australia but could perhaps order it somehow...is there a URL?

Val
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 12:17
Smilie Queen

http://www.cortislim.com

That's how I ordered it - check my journal for updates, I will keep track of all progress there.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 14:26
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

Ive seen the comercials on tv all the time. But I also never knew what it was about.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 19:10

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

#8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 19:22
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I've been taking Cortislim for 2 months. I have not lost a single pound in that time. I've also noticed no difference in "stress". I have another month's worth of tablets. I doubt that I'll be ordering more.

I hope that you have better results, Porcellino.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 20:45

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

The commercials on the radio have left a bad taste in my mouth. They point out how low carbers have been endangering their health by lowering their carbs. It states that lcers are cranky and are experiencing an increase of heart disease. At the same time Cortaslim supports the low carb diet by saying that low carbers lose faster with Cortaslim. Personally, I do not believe that we need any pill to help with the success with lc except vitamins and other nutritional supplements.

Insulin is also a hormone that, when elevated, contributes to weight problems however, no one is selling "Insulock" or "Insulslim"!!!

Black57
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 21:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/165/110 Female 5'5"
BF:60/44/20
Progress: 63%

I recently did some reading on the hormone cortisol because of the cortislim ads. I thought it would just be a bunch of junk. But if I understood what I read, cortislim is only going to work for people who have over produced cortisol because of a condition. Stress makes your body create more cortisol, but if everyone who had stress was fat, the WHOLE world would be fat, right??? I also read that people with other hormonal abnormalities may benefit from something like cortislim, because these abnormal hormone levels consistantly keep cortisol levels up. The information, not the informercial is available online. (the informericial is as well, but thats a little biased!). I do take a hormone that raises cortisol levels and I plan to try cortislim out of curiousity. I'll keep y'all posted!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 21:36
Smilie Queen

It's kind of funny... they just changed their ad to jump on the low carb bandwagon. The first commercials talked about abnormal hormone levels that keep the weight on. There is definitely a 'snake oil' quality to the commercials, and I have never taken any weight loss supplement since phen/fen 8 years ago.... However, finding out my cortisol levels are abnormally high, as well as talking to my doctor and doing further research, I am giving it a try. I will be happy to be the guinea pig

Yes, insulin contributes to weight problems, but in a different way than cortisol. It is not the aim to eliminate cortisol, but to keep everything in balance. You can control your insulin reaction by what you eat, the same is not true of cortisol. I don't need help w/ lc, I need the extra help with trying to balance my hormones (all of them, not just the cortisol) which are causing me additional problems along with holding on to an extra 15-20 pounds.

Last edited by Porcellino : Tue, Feb-03-04 at 21:38.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 00:19

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 185/183/160 Female 5'5
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

PLEASE LISTEN TO ME: If their product worked, REALLY had ANY value, it would not be sold on TV. It would be bought by a giant pharmaceutical company and sold by prescription for ghastly inflated prices! This "Dr Cynammon" guy is selling this for his "associate". Lord, they have been in respected journals he claims, such as Ladies Home Journal...WOW, real hard core scientific journal there.
Porcellino, you pegged it with the expression "snake oil"salesman. If one truly has a cortisol abundance, they NEED medical intervention as this is life threatning (as can be deficiencies of cortisol).
Low carb, exercise and water is the best "pill". I am saying this because I care and get angry at these a-hol=s who wanna make a quick buck with a slick ad. Save your money for those steak dinners!!!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 11:57
Smilie Queen

The purpose of this thread was to point out my journal for those wondering about coritslim. If you don't think it is worthwhile, move on and don't read. Everyone's body is different and what works for one will not work for all. Low carb is a worthwhile, effective lifestyle and formula for weight loss, it is not the end all be-all answer to every problem. You are all entitled to your opinion, I am off to swallow another cortislim.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-04, 12:16

Plan: none yet
Stats: 265/255/190 Male 71
BF:
Progress:

I did a little research on Cortislim and their primary spokesman "Dr" Cynaumon.

If you want information on who this "Dr." really is, go here:
http://www.edresearch.com/CynaumonChallenge.htm

I also did some research on cortosol blockers.

It turns out that while Cortislim's "special compounds" may help you reduce stress, the real ingredient in their overpriced pills that causes cortosol moderation is... get ready for this...

Vitamin C.

Yup, that's right folks. $110 for 3 bottles of Cortislim is nothing more than overpriced vitamin C.

In fact, I decided to do a little experimentation myself.

Instead of spending $110 on Cortislim, I went and got a bottle of 1000 Vitamin C tablets... 500mg each.

In taking 2 to 4 of these per day, I have LOST TEN POUNDS in 2 weeks! I was at 265 lbs, and have been steady there since my wedding day on June 28th of last year. This is my first weight loss in a year! I haven't been under 255 lbs in 3 years, but just this morning, on the 2nd day of week 3, I weighed in at 253... so really it's been 12 pounds of weight loss, by taking Vitamin C.

Total cost of my big 'ol bottle of "Miracle Weight Loss Vitamin C"? $11.99 plus tax.

Oh, and I'll bet I won't get a cold any time soon either.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-04, 13:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Edit: Good catch on the web site regarding "Dr." Cynamaun's creditials. The guy sounds like a total fraud.

It's good to hear opinions, even dissenting ones. I don't think anyone is dissing you because you're choosing to try it, its just that there are some skeptics out there pointing out the reasons why this might be yet another scam trying to grab unsuspecting people's money. Goodness, the "weightloss supplement" industry is probably a billion dollars worth of scams, or maybe more.

Its good of you though, to try it out and report back!

Last edited by Nancy LC : Wed, Jun-16-04 at 13:40.