Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 13:29

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 205/170/165
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Ketosis

I have been on this plan for 1 1/2 weeks and have not reached Ketosis (40 max) my carb intake /day never exceeds 3 gm. I have lost 10 lbs. and I drink 8+ glasses of water /day. I'm diabetic and have high blood pressure. I'm working(with my Dr.) to control all with the Atkins plan. Could my Glyberide or Glucaphage be effecting Ketosis. I've quit coffee and the salad I'm eating meat, fish and eggs. I'm not hungry between meals(as I was before)and my blood sugar has been perfect.
Any Ideas
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 21:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%

As I understand it, some people *never* turn those sticks pink. The ketosticks are a blunt instrument. If you're losing weight, feeling energetic, and are controlling your blood sugars, my guess is that you're in ketosis, no matter what the sticks say.

The sticks also have a shelf life. It could be that you got a 'bad' batch. Either way, you're getting the results you want, so I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

Oh, and eat your veggies - up to 20 carb grams a day - you need them.

Rachel
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-01, 07:29

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%
Default 10 lbs!!!!

I don't think you need the sticks to tell you this WOE is working !!

I played with the sticks for 2 weeks-- got a different reading at different times of day and evening. Never got more than moderate reading and retired them.

The proof is in the LC pudding!!
The weight is coming off, the cravings have gone!
You're doing great!! Keep it up!!
Ellie

AND--- don't give up your salad or veggies-- that alone might slow things down--- gotta have some GOOD carbs!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-01, 14:32

Stats: 230/185/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Lightbulb

Ellie, I'm so happy to hear you say that. I've been low carbing for 6 weeks and have lost 22 lbs. I went out and bought the ketostix now, just to see how they read, and how I was doing. i noticed someone had at one time posted how helpful they were. Like keeping youalert to hidden carbs or something. Well, I didn't change the colors at all. several times. I was so disappointed. You have made me know I'm not alone. Thanks.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-01, 14:52

Stats: 207/201/165
BF:32%/32%/25%
Progress: 14%
Default Me too...

I have been experimenting and have used the stix each time I go (except when I'm at work), be it morning, day, evening or whatever, just to see what happens.

Although I've been doing okay lc'ing, the color on the stix has fluctuated between small and none, and time of day or night seems to make no difference. It just goes up and down unpredictably. I'm sure if I were obsessed enough (which I'm not) I could list all the foods I ate at each meal and at what time, and then what time I pee'd and checked the stix to determine the correlation between my meals and stix color, but I really don't want to go there. I'm actually getting tired of checking and may even stop altogether. It's becoming boring.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-01, 16:12

Stats: 230/185/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Cool

Well, this was the first time i tried, and I thought it would just turn bright red or purple or something, It didn't change color at all. I'm just so glad I'm not the only one. The one thing I notice though, I drink so much water, that my urine is almost colorless, it's so dilute. I wonder if that has any bearing. Hey you folks who have been successful out there, what do you think. Chris
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-01, 16:24

Stats: 207/201/165
BF:32%/32%/25%
Progress: 14%
Default Urine color...

I'm not one of the "successful" ones, but I've noticed that no matter what color my urine naturally is, it doesn't make a difference on the stix.

BUT, when I'm taking vitamins and it turns a bright yellow from the vitamins, then, the color on the stix is off too. By "off," I mean that instead of a pink it's closer to a tan or blah color but not darker or lighter....
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-01, 08:32

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%
Default Hi Chrisews--

You are doing fantastic!! The plan is obviously working for you!
I'd stop playing with the sticks-- they're only going to frustrate you! I took the advice from others early on and I know things are going right by the continued good feeling, lack of hunger and cravings, and the weight loss. So many things can affect the reading on the sticks--- and not seeing progress there can just discourage you for nothing!
You are doing great!!
Same goes Tikerberi--- just concentrate on eating right.
Ellie

Last edited by EllieEats : Wed, Dec-19-01 at 08:40.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-01, 11:19
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Cool No purple for me either

I had the same thing happen to me. My stick wouldn't turn purple but I was losing inches. Someone told me it was because I was drinking alot of water.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-01, 07:31

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/176.5/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Best NOT for the stick to turn DARK Purple!

I am no expert, but have been doing alot of reading. I can't put my exact finger on which book I read this from, but it read that if you are doing the Low Carb diet and using the sticks, as a guide, you should not want your sticks to turn Dark Purple, as that means YOU ARE NOT DRINKING ENOUGH WATER!

From what that book said it is NOT HEALTHY stage when the stick turns a dark purple. If that should happen................DRINK EVEN MORE WATER !!!! The more water you drink, which is GREAT, the ligher the stick will be or maybe not even turn. But, that is OK, as long as you know you have been eating the correct foods. You still will be losing weight!

Hope that helps someone?
Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-01, 09:40

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

As I have said in the past.......

Those sticks should be a guide, not gospel truth. There are numerous things that effect those sticks.

If you keep them in the bathroom, moisture from the shower can damage them.
They have a shelf life.
You are drinking enough water and flushing ketones out.
Your system is using every ketone it is producing from what you are eating, thereby not having to flush them out.

If you are losing weight, if you are NOT experiencing hunger pains, then you are probably in ketosis.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 09:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 223/140/140
BF:
Progress: 100%

On Dr. Atkin's site, there is some info on these sticks and he says that they depend on your excercise and water intake. Remmber, we use those ketones for energy, if you have been excercising, there won't be any left to trigger the sticks.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 23:23

BF:
Default still loosing

I am still loosing weight but if I add Carbs e.g. salad, green beans (just a few carbs) I quit loosing. my sticks show anywhere from .5 (barely) to 40 (moderate)
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 07:35

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/176.5/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Hi Mark!

Are you still doing the 2 week induction? I was wondering why by adding just a salad you stop losing? If that will be the case, I know I won't be able to eat just meat and eggs from here on out???

I am on day 2 of the Induction Diet of Atkins'.

Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 16:12

BF:
Default you can do anything

JoAnn Picture yourself at your final weight and look a every meal and snack as a tool that melts fat and inches away. Then when you've achieved your goal you'll already know how to keep it off. I put Worchester sauce, hot sauce, Tiger sauce, salad dressing on my meat and fish then once every 3-4 days I'll have a salad and some green beans as a treat. I am drinking at least 8 12 oz. glasses of water/day. When I get up in the morning, I weigh in, check my blood sugar, ketosis and blood preesure. I don't drink more than 3 cups of coffee/day and NO softdrinks. I have some of the Dr. Atkins drink mix tried, one and I'll wait until I crave my milk
Mark