Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-14-04, 11:17

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 135/130.5/120 Female 5'4"
BF:26/???/18
Progress: 30%
Default Know anything about hip pain?

My right hip has been bothering me the past few weeks. First I thought I might have strained my hip flexor. But now I'm not so sure. Earlier I was sitting at my desk with my right leg crossed over my left. And I realized my hip hurts. The pain moves from outside of my hip to the inside. Right now it's kinda of on the front to the outside. Anyone know what could be wrong? Could it be that I just strained my hip flexor. Anyone know of a good stretch besides a lunge w/ the right knee on the floor pushing forward? I've been taking Glucosamine for my knees, not sure if it's helping any.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-14-04, 15:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/177/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

I had the same kind of pain off and on in my left hip. I went to the Doctor over and over for two years until I finally found a Doctor that sent me to a pshyical therepist. It took him two seconds to figure out that my hip bone had rotated forward out of place. I had always worked long hours on my feet and did alot of heavy lefting and bending. The Doctor said it was due to the type of work I was doing but that anyones hips can rotate forward out of place. I suggest you go to a pshyical therepist as soon as possible. I was also put on Glucosamine. It's fantastic. It takes several weeks before the body absorbs all of the dosage but keep taking it. Let me know what you find out. Good Luck ! The lunges you are doing will only make the problem worse in the long run.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-14-04, 15:50

Hi Arizona! Thanks for the input. I have a friend who's a physical therapist but he lives in Houston, too far for me to see him. But I'll see what he has to say. I can be a klutz, so no telling if I did something losing my balance or working out to knock it out of place. So, you think the lunges that I've been doing may not be the best? hmmmm, What about squats? I should probably just stick w/ leg extesions and curls for awhile to see if the pain goes away. I'm just frustrated. Want the pain to go awaaaaay.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 13:58

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default What else changed?

What happened two weeks ago when the pain started--new exercise, new shoes, new walk to work, more intensity? Something...

Then--there are a lot of yoga stretches that will help the overall hip area. If I don't do them regularly, I can be crippled.

Variations on the reclining twist: Lay flat, bend one leg, stay flat, stretch bent leg to ground over straight leg. Stop when it hurts, stay there and then relax. Repeat on the other side.

Then do something similar with a straight leg. It will hurt more.

Then there's a sitting stretch--cross your legs "Indian style", lean forward gently. Likely will hurt like the devil. Don't go too far, release, change legs, repeat.

Works for me.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 14:27

Hi CS! Thanks for the repsonse. I'm going to try the indian style stretch. I already do the other. I'm not exactly sure what I did when it started hurting. But I'm thinking it may have happened when I was running HIIT. I run in my neighborhood with some hills. I'm thinking that may have caused it. I made a Dr's appt. for next Tues. I'm also going for my shoulder. I think I may have tendonitis there, but my hip. I don't know. Today the pain is on the outside. I think I'm just falling apart. Had a birthday 2 weeks ago and my hip & shoulder hurts, and today at the gym my knee hurt. And every once in awhile my lower back. I've been active my entire life & I think it's catching up w/ me. I'm falling apart. Getting older SUX.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 15:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Did you use any weights when running? I used to use ankle weights when running or walking or tae bo, and Built pointed out to me that any kind of swinging motion with weights is bad on joints, I believe that's how she said it.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 15:20

No, I don't run with weights. I learned that a long time ago. Built is right, bad for your joints. I remember how bad I felt afterwards. Never again.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-04, 15:31

BF:
Default Beats the alternative

Getting older has made me more disciplined. Wish I'd listened to my body with this much care 20 years ago. There's no ignoring anything any more, and I think I'm in better shape for it.

Had a long talk with a younger woman last week--she talked about fears, one of which was "afraid of getting old." Not much sympathy here. I said, You get old or you get dead, pick. No point in being afraid of old, but OK to be more specific about what exactly you're afraid of, because THAT can be dealt with. Progress.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 18:06

Ok, went to the Dr. today. Does anyone know of a good doctor in Los Angeles. Mine SUKS A$$. He wouldn't listen, totally against Atkins, told me that all you eat is cholesterol. He asked if I've read the book, I told I had several times. Then he goes on to mention something about ketosis being bad. I just stopped listening to him cuz he didn't seem to listen to me. I went for my hip pain, shoulder pain (which i think is tendonitis), back pain and some sort of bite on my arm (which turned out to be a spider bite, which he didn't tell me what to do to get rid of the redness & itchiness).

Well, all in all, had a bad experience at the doctor. He couldn't really tell what he could do for the pain. He gave me Vioxx. Yeah drugs! NOT! He told me not to do any overhead exercises b/c of the pain in my shoulder (which has gotten better in the last week). My back pain is completely new. We were running sprints last night at boot camp and it felt like something was pushing on my lower back. I've never felt it before. But it stopped when stopped running. & the Doc couldn't figure out why. Told me to stop working out. DUH! Like that's going to happen. The Doc gave me a handout on back exercises. UGH. He suggested that I might go see a physical therapist if the pain meds don't work. When he tried to tell me that I favor my right leg since I'm right handed and I probably got off balance. I had to tell him that I am right handed, but when it comes to sports I favor my left. He ask how I know that, I had to explain that I eat & write with my right but when it come to kicking a ball, running hurdles, gymnastics, dancing, cheerleading, etc., which I have done all my life, I've favored my left. He just gave me a nasty look like I was crazy. Sorry, but I'm 34 yrs old & I think I know my body pretty well.

Then he notices my weight. & of course the scales at the dr's office are always about 10 lbs higher than the ones at the gym or home. HIs scale said 145, mine hovers around 135, depends on the day. Well, he asks me if I know what my BMI is. I said about 20. Which was pretty close to what his chart says, which was like 25. THEN - OMIGOD - he tells me I need to lose about 18 lbs to be at the low end of normal. I can't believe he told me to lose 18 lbs. I'd be major skin & bones. Doesn't he know that the amount of muscle you have isn't taken into consideration on those charts? UGH! I just nodded my head & said I'm trying, but it's hard.

So, does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do about the shoulder & back pain. The stretches some have already suggested for my have seemed to help a bit, but I still have some pain at times. Or does anyonw know of a good doctor in LA that listens and cares what their patients have to say?

So now i'm ready to go run some HIIT. I need to release some of this frustration. UGH!!!

Thanks
Aimee

Last edited by TXAimee : Tue, Jun-22-04 at 18:40.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 12:38

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

Aimee,

I read all the posts of this thread, then went to read your journal and gym logs. Based on all I read I would like to add my 2C.

About your pains. Most of them seem to be typical runner injuries. When I started to run the first pain I felt was in my lower back. A back strengthening, stretching programme (designed by physical therapists not by trainers) gave my fast release. The back pain not only went away in less than one week, but has not come back since.

Hip pain could be sciatica, illiotibial syndrome, or many other things. All these are require different kind of treatments, and NONE of them is going away without proper healing.

The cause of this injuries could be the Bootcamp programme. It seems that is is a real legkiller, breaking all the basic runner injury prevention rules. Do not get me wrong. I am NOT talking against tough bootcamp style trainings.

(I have a Marine son, successfully surviving 7th year of tough training. The difference is, that in the military the PT instructors are much more cautious: to loose Marines because of of temporary injury is very costly.)

The problem is with your bootcamp program, that it uses running excessively for cardio vascular fitness training. Seems a little too much sprinting, jumping, running on incline etc.

Something more. The age of your legs. You can have the fitness level, the look, the heart, the skin, the lung, the spirit of a 20 year old, but your LEGS always as old as your physical age.

What to do? I would recommend you to contact with Los Angeles Running Club to get a reference to a doctor who is familiar with running injuries. Here is a web page: http://www.larunningclub.com/

One more remark. I understand your desire to go out to run out your frustration. May I recommend an easy run to steam out instead of HIIT?

This is my 2c, thanks for listening.

My best wishes, take care:

Eva

Last edited by Galadriell : Wed, Jun-23-04 at 14:24.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 13:52

Hi Eva - thanks for your response. I've been a runner for the past 10 years or so. Running marathons, 5ks and everything in b/w. I gave up training due to boredom and was sick of the long training runs. So now I just run for 30 minutes or run HIIT. Last night when I went out for my run, planned on HIIT, but ended up just running about 25 minutes. It was a nice evening and I wanted to enjoy being outside. Was a good short, slow run.
It's been awhile since I've had one of those.

Most of this morning at work I logged onto my health insurance's website to find doctors who specialize in sports medicine. But I am going to check the la running club you suggested. I'm sure there will be a few doctors they highly reccomend. My doctor couldn't even tell me what could be wrong. Basically just gave me the pain meds and told me to call him if they don't work. He didn't even tell me to take it easy to take some time off.

Thanks, again for your 2 cents.

-Aimee
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-04, 14:33
Registered Member

Plan: hi prot/carb/cal cycling
Stats: 138.5/133.5/120 Female 64 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 27%

hey aimee...if you can find someone in your area who specializes in ART therapy (Active Release therapy), lots of bodybuilders use this with great results. I think there is a website you can access to find doctors.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 05:55

BF:
Default Iliopsoas?

Do I have that spelled right? It's one of the hip stabilizer muscles that lies deep under your intestines, along the inside of your spinal column. I had a deep tissue massage person work on it once and nearly came off the table. But dang, did the pain go away!

And because it's mostly a posture muscle, it's one of those you're not really conscious of.

Larger point: Have you looked at Rolfing, or deep tissue or trigger point work with someone who's REALLY qualified, not just saying "Yeah, I can do that too." I have found these treatments helpful for problems that more conventional medical practitioners don't see.

VERY Useful book: The Anatomy of Movement, by Blandine Calais-Germain. It shows exactly what muscle moves which parts how, and helps me to pinpoint EXACTLY what's hurting, which can be tricky when it's that complicated mess that runs my hips and butt.

Good luck.

Last edited by cs_carver : Thu, Jun-24-04 at 05:57. Reason: add more
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-24-04, 08:52

Thanks Lift & cscarver. I was searching the net for ART yesterday and came across a running website. I posted a question regarding my hip & butt pain. The running coach suggested I stop running for about a week to see if the pain goes away. She even suggested that I work on the flexibility of my cores muscles, hip flexor, lat. hips and hamstrings. I know my hamstrings could handle being more flexible. I'm thinking about trying a deep tissue massage. I've had one a couple of days after I ran a 1/2 marathon, was still a tad sore and it killed me. It was so painful, but it did work. Wasn't sore anymore. I'm willing to try just about anything. I know some pain is good, but when it interferes with my working out, it's BAD!!!

Thanks again!