Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 10:15

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/176.5/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Worried...Thinking Of Maintaing Weight Loss

Hello,
My name if Jo Ann and I am getting my self mentally ready to begin the Low Carb WOE Jan 1, 2002!
However, I am already worried about this:
After I lose my weight, doing the low carbing, and then I want to maintain my loss, will I be able to ever add a slice of bread, or a bite of potato or rice, or a fruit EVER AGAIN to my diet and yet, keep my weight loss off?
Do you limit yourself to say 60 carbs a day forever? If so, is that enough carbs to have some descent meals? :-))
I would love to hear from some of you EXPERIENCED low carbers now doing your "Maintaining". Please give me all the feed back you can think of before I begin this journey. How is the maintenance going for you?
If you would like to send me a e-mail my address is:
JoAnnAtkinson~juno.com
I would like to thank you in advance. I know you can understand my concern about this?
Jo Ann In TEXAS
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 11:16
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile Don't worry

I had the same worries as you when I started. Especially when my mother gained some of the weight when she went to maintanance. But she didn't do it right. (Sorry Mom, Love ya!) there is another step after OWL ( Which is right after induction) thats when you add carbs to your diet. But what you'll find is that you don't add bread carbs back, but fruit, starchy veggies (more mushrooms and green beans) not because you feel guilty but because you lost your taste for sweets. Honest you do.
My Mother during her year on Atkins ate artificial sweeters daily and had subsitted for jelly, syrup, diet soda. She never lost her taste for sugar. What I did is not use artifical sweetners as much and I don't drink diet soda. Sweetness doesn't taste that good to me any more. I don't like Elephant garlic like I used to because when cooked its too sweet. (Anyone notice that?) I will warn you, sugar withdrawal isn't pleasant. Headaches, weakness, aches are par the course.
Tip for you. Enjoy each stage of the diet and worry what is happening down the road when you get there. Also take your cromium and potassium. You will need them badly.
Good luck and welcome to your new life
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 11:40

Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

JoAnn, I can't add anything to Lessara's good advice except to suggest you "eavesdrop" in the Maintenance forum in the Support Groups. You might find some reassurance there

But don't let worries about what you'll eat when it's over keep you from starting. Pick a plan, read the book, get into it, believe. We should NEVER go back to the way we ate -- it isn't a healthy way to eat.

Good luck to you.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 14:19

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%
Default Re: Worried...Thinking Of Maintaing Weight Loss

Quote:
Originally posted by JoAnnAtkin
After I lose my weight, doing the low carbing, and then I want to maintain my loss, will I be able to ever add a slice of bread, or a bite of potato or rice, or a fruit EVER AGAIN to my diet and yet, keep my weight loss off?

Do you limit yourself to say 60 carbs a day forever? If so, is that enough carbs to have some descent meals? :-))
Jo Ann In TEXAS

What do you call a decent meal?

Does salad, lobster, steak and steamed veggies count as a decent meal? Does pork chops topped with mushroom gravy, and steamed veggies with butter and fresh herbs count?

Being on a low carb diet does not mean you can NEVER have potatos, rice or fruit EVER AGAIN. What it says is, you can not eat it like you use to....which is why you gained weight in the first place. (and BTW, both meals above are way under 60 carbs)

If you go into this feeling like you are going to be deprived, you are setting yourself up to cheat and fail. This is a way of life, not some fad diet you read about in the Enquire. You will NOT lose all your weight over night. It may take several months or a year to do so, however you WILL feel so much better and you won't be gaining.

So I guess ask yourself two very serious questions:

If I don't go on a low carb diet, where will my weight be in a year from now?
How will I feel?

You can ask anyone that has been on the diet long term and I know you will get answers of, "my god I haven't felt this good since I was a kid" or "I can't believe how much more energy I have now!"

Welcome to the board and good luck!

Last edited by agonycat : Thu, Dec-13-01 at 14:31.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 16:52

BF:
Default Thanks so much for your advice!

Hello, Lessara, Alto Agonycat

I would like to thank you guys for your advice concerning my worries of going on one of the Low Carb diets and then being worried after losing the weight, maybe not being able to maintain it???????

I will most definitely, look around in the Maitanence forum and see how those guys are doing.

I realize, that any diet, the easy part, is the losing. It is the maintaining that is the most difficult.

I just can't thank you guys enough for your instant support and help! I am looking forward to this WOE come January 2002. I figured that it wouldn't be wise to start any diet right here at Christmas, but I plan to have all my foods in the house by Jan. 1!

I am sure you will be seeing my name pop up all over the different forums after Jan. 1.

Bye for now.........see you soon!
Jo Ann Atkinson in TEXAS
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 16:59

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

JoAnn that is what all of us are here for To support each other.

If you have any questions about one of the diet plans there are numerous sections now located under the Main Low Carb forum. Just drop in one of those and ask your question and one of the members that is following that plan will answer your questions, or pop on over here to ask generic type.

When chosing a diet plan, remember to pick one that suits your living style. You won't stick with one if you feel deprived or too restricted. Also be realistic in setting your goals. Trying to lose 10 years worth of weight in a month is unrealistic and only setting yourself up for failure. Just remember it went on slowly, it sometimes moves off that same way

Happy Holidays and we look forward to being losers together!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 17:09

BF:
Smile Thanks Agonycat!

Howdy Agonycat,

I have to say this is undoubtably the best Low Carb Diet Forum site I have ever been to. Everyone seems to be eager to share their experiences to help others. I hope one day "down the road", I will be able to share my experience in losing my weight and help others like you guys are doing for me now!

I am reading as much information as I can get on the net about the Low Carb diets. I plan to start out with the 2 weeks induction from the Atkins book. Most of the diets, I have read about, seem pretty much the same. Except, maybe the Sugar Buster one. It allows you the BROWN carbs, I think?

Again, Agonycat, thank you so much for your helpful advice!

Will be talking to all of yall real soon!

Jo Ann Atkinson in TEXAS
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 11:43

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

Hi JoAnn, and welcome to LCing! Your post made me vaguely remember how I felt at the beginning, when all I did at first, for a month, was quit sugar and white flour. I was fixated on that thought, "oh my gods, you mean I'm never going to have a cake/cookie/fudge ever every again?" I smile fondly at this old self now. What has happened is that yes, I have lapsed and had sugar and flour again, but it made me feel so awful, now I want to stay away from it entirely!

Looking back on myself then, I see clearly that my relationship to sugar was that of an addict to a drug. The panic about giving it up forever was, for me, part of the addictive mindset. And so there is nothing for it but to do what the 12-steppers say: one day at a time. At first, that's all we can do. In a year or two, when the excess weight is gone, maybe you'll decide to have sugar occasionally. For me, the rule is to never bring it into the house--if I want a monthly indulgence (and monthly is about all I can afford), I go out and get a single serving of it, eat it in public. No more sneak eating or gorging on my drug.

I predict that once the carbs are out of your system, obsessive thoughts about getting more will ease with each passing week--at least that happens for most of us. I can't tell you how wonderful this is! We stop "living to eat" and instead we "eat to live," sometimes even forgetting a meal! The more you think, "that'd never be me," the more strongly I predict it will be you! The nature of hyperinsulemia.

Best of luck, and keep posting.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 16:24

BF:
Smile Thanks for replying!

Hi Razzle,

I did the Atkins in the year 2000 for about 2 months. My mom and I did it together and my sister, also. We can remember, one thing for sure.............none of us ever felt better in our lives "energy wise" than we did on the Atkins. I am hoping for that feeling again, as I am so tired and sluggish from all of the white carbs, pastas, rices, potatoes, etc.

My blood work came back today and from eating all of the above Bad carbs........my cholestrol is 204. Not Terrible but not good either. So, that goes to show you the Bad carbs do not help your cholestrol.

I plan to have more blood work done in 3 or 4 months to see if I have any improvement. I sure hope so!

I am so glad you could understand my concerns. I have lost it once on the low carb, but gained it all back. I DON'T WANT TO DO THAT AGAIN!

This is the GREATEST low carb site I have ever been on. So, much hands on experience and so many helpful people. I just know this forum is going to really help me with my struggle thought the first part of the induction! I plan to start on the 1st of the year, if not right after Christmas.

Thanks again for your reply
Jo Ann in TEXAS