Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-04, 15:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 136/128.5/120 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Where did my appetite go?

I'm starting my third week of induction and for the past few days my appetite has been much smaller than before. I also don't have the intense afternoon sugar cravings I'd been experiencing for some time. So, I'm happy! I have one question though, could a reduced appetite result in not eating enough and therefore going into starvation mode?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-04, 16:48
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/175.5/145 Male 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

Nope, it is the reduced carbs combined with the increased fat intake. Eating fat keeps you from feeling hungry. Each day I eat 70% fat, 5% carbs and 25% protien. I eat my Basal Rate (the # of calories needed for a body to function) of calories.

For snacks I will have a few macadamia nuts or 2 oz of cream cheese. Try it you will be amazed at how full you will feel. Remember to always drink lots of water - it helps you feel full in addition to many other wonderful benefits.

NOTE:You can find your own personal basal rate on fitday.com as well at track the %'s.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-04, 18:20

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 208/201.8/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 10%

It's also ketosis. In DANDR, Dr. Atkins says that ketosis serves as a natural appetite suppressant. It's nature's nice little tool to get us in the habit of eating less during Induction and OWL. Once we hit Maintenance, we leave ketosis and our appetites will most likely return. But the good habits should hopefully remain.

Make sure that you don't skip meals though. Eat something even if you're not hungry.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-04, 19:50

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

It's self correcting-if you skip supper and late night snacking you will be hungry for a big breakfast the next day.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-04, 19:52

Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

Your appetite has run away to the Bahamas with mine, and I want it to come back now. Welcome to my world.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-04, 19:56

Plan: Whole Foods (my own)
Stats: 135/127/120 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 53%

Oh this WOE has been a miracle for me (and I'm only on a haphazard maintenance right now!) With my marathon training, I was eating a full breakfast, inhaling a yogurt at 9 and getting a bagel at 9:45. And I was so hungry it was distracting me

This has been a complete blessing for me, even if I never lose a pound (although I've already lost 2 - nice little side effect!)
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-04, 22:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 136/128.5/120 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 47%

Thank you all for the reassuring comments.

SuzanneM, that was funny! But actually, I don't want mine back for a while.

Well, the good news in all this is my hubby started this WOE along with me a couple of weeks ago, and today he went by his sister's house to get some stuff, my mother-in-law and another sister-in-law were visiting, and when they saw him, they couldn't believe it! (They hadn't seen him in about four weeks and he's lost 12 pounds since then). No sooner had he left that they were on the phone asking me all about what we are doing. His twin sister even told me he now looks like he did in high school. (He doesn't really, not yet). My husband sure was happy. He didn't even make his usual comments about missing tortillas at dinnertime!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 04:22
Registered Member

Stats: 134.5/110.0/120 Female 158
BF:
Progress: 169%

My appetite has chrunk so much that I can go until 6pm just with a cappuccino in the afternoon and a bit of cheese. I know it is not enough but I now only eat when I am hungry and not because it is lunch time!

I am also amazed that I have not lost energy but have got much more than before and I weekly do 3 hours of cardio at the gym

#9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-04, 17:54

Plan: prot/low carb-ketosis
Stats: 12/08/04 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default daisie

Going by your stats, you are well under the weight you want to be. You go girl! I too have lost a big part of my appetite. Most days I have to force myself to eat. Maybe I shouldn't. What do you use for your cappucino? I love my coffee with heavy cream and could live on that all day. Hehehehe!