Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 13:48

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Something just happened that made me think, and I thought I'd share -- I'd be interested to know what the rest of you think.

As I've posted in my journal, I'm a chocolate lover. I'd eat 3 or 4 candy bars (usually Hershey with almonds, or Snickers, or Reese's peanut butter cups) before doing LC. I tried Weight Watchers because their points system let me eat the candy bars -- not much else, but I didn't mind

I live in an apartment building with a candy machine in the basement. For the past four months, the machine has been empty, because someone(s) kept breaking into it and stealing the candy as well as the money. I was sorry for the candy man, but happy for me -- it had been a temptation.

Last night, in the elevator, I saw people coming from the basement with candy and asked them -- there was a new, stronger machine -- supposedly tamper proof -- and it was filled.

Today was laundry day, and as soon as I entered that room, I became anxious. I had no cravings. I did not CRAVE a candy bar. I wanted one -- habit? (I only had enough money with me for the laundry.)

It made me think. I know that sometimes wanting something sweet is definitely a physical craving. But sometimes, is it simply habit?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 14:24

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

heheh habit yes.

After smoking for 15 years, I finally quit last year. For the first several months everytime I went into a convient store I would ask for a pack of cigs. I ended up avoiding the stores so I could break the habit or make my hubby go in. It wasn't like I was craving a cig, it was just every morning on my way to work I would stop at the store for a soda and a pack of cigs. Did that for YEARS.

So I would say, yup..yours is probably out of habit too.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 14:55

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Cravings, Habit, or what?

Quote:
Originally posted by alto
But sometimes, is it simply habit?

I remember the advice you gave me about quitting smoking; change your habits. Do things you didnt used to do as a smoker. For me the habit part is the hardest to break; I reach for a cigarette when I am typing on the computer because I have done so for years. I would never actually *smoke* the damned thing, one or two puffs and it would burn out. It used to happen to be at work; unconsciously reaching for an ashtray - there hasnt been any smoking in government buildings for years!

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 15:05
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think it's habit and anticipation of pleasure that reinforces the habit. Do you start salivating when you think about it, even if there is no craving?

With the smoking thing, I haven't changed any habits. I still do everything at the same time in the same way on a daily basis. What is strange, is that anything sweet makes me want to smoke.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 15:11

BF:

Interesting -- talk about habit and three former smokers come forth! Nat, I still count theater intermissions by one cigarette, two cigarette or three cigarettes. (Not that I smoke them, but it's my measure of time.) And it took me forever to stop reaching for a cigarette when I picked up the phone -- again, I really didn't want one. I had a reflex reaching action I love agonycat's story of cigs and the convenience store.

Karen's comment -- "I think it's habit and anticipation of pleasure that reinforces the habit" -- is very interesting. In this instance, no. It was more "Oh, going to the basement; get to have chocolate."

I also realize that there ARE people with true cravings. I've read posts here and elsewhere about people being on strict LC for weeks and then, for whatever reason, eating one piece of candy, or bread, and then going through everything with a carbohydrate in it in the house. I think that is a real, physical craving and saying "stop after the second bag of cookies" won't help.

But I think sometimes we claim "craving" when it's really "habit." I think it's useful to try to separate the two.

I remember learning something when I was in grade school, a saying by St. Thomas a Kempis -- early behavior mod -- "Habit is overcome by habit." It's so lovely and simple. If I could embroider, I'd put it on a pillow
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 15:26

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

heheh

What is really embarrassing is getting into the car and realizing you have a pack of cigs in your hand and don't remember asking for them! The store normally would not buy them back so I would end up throwing them away or finding someone at work to pawn them off on!

(That is why I started avoiding the store!)
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 15:26
Registered Member

Plan: pregnant so maintenance level
Stats: 136/122/---
BF:
Progress: 89%

Quote:
"Habit is overcome by habit."

NOW you've got me wondering ...what habit can i replace my "cup of coffee with breakfast" habit which is turning into a "cup of cofee with breakfast AND lunch" habit, which is quickly headed for "with dinner as well" with?
I'm finding it harder to kick than the sugar ever was...
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 16:04

BF:

Herbal tea? I've had friends who kicked liquor and cigarettes but had a heck of a time with coffee. Good luck!