Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 13:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 277/241.4/140 Female 5'4"
BF:???/???/Healthy!
Progress: 26%
Question Questions

Hi All...

I've been low carbing since 12/6, and I've noticed a couple of things that may have something to do with my new way of eating. I was wondering if anyone else had these problems.

First of all, I have the most difficult time getting to sleep at night. It's like my mind won't shut down so I can sleep. My body is tired, but my mind is like a hamster on the wheel ~~> running and running and running. This isn't really a problem right now, because I'm on vacation. But...come January 6th, I'm going to need my sleep. My principal would probably not like it if I fell asleep in front of my third graders.

The second thing I've noticed is that my skin feels itchy and prickly. I've finally figured out that my skin is dry (this is not a problem I've had before). Last night, not only wouldn't my brain shut up, but my skin felt like it was crawling. Freaky feeling!!

Has anyone noticed that their skin is drier than before?? If so, does drinking even more water help? Oh well, maybe I'm molting like a snake...off with the old and on with the new!!

Grateful for anyone's opinions on these things I've noticed

TTFN!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 13:53

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

I'm sure someone else can give you a more scientific answer, but I can give you my experience.

On sleeplessness, the same thing happened to me. It lasted for nearly a week. I'd have no energy during the day and be rather listless, but come 11:00 p.m. I'd be excessively awake -- exactly as you describe, with a racing mind. It just went away. One of the suggestions you'll read here and elsewhere is to take magnesium. It helps prevent constipation and helps sleep.

On the skin, most people seem to report the opposite, so I wonder if you're not drinking water. Eight eight-ounce glasses of water a day is a MINIMUM. There are others who say you must drink one ounce of water for each kilo of weight -- which in your case and mine is about four quarts! Otherwise, you'll be dehydrated and have dry skin and other nasty symptoms
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 13:59

Stats: 277/241.4/140 Female 5'4"
BF:???/???/Healthy!

Hi Alto...

Thanks for answering my questions!

I know that I'm probably not drinking enough water. It's something that I struggle with constantly. I'll start cutting back on my tea intake and substitute water instead. Maybe if I add some lemon, it won't be so nasty.

TTFN!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 14:30

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

I second Alto!

Drink lots of water! I didn't use to have dry skin, but when I changing my eating habits, I too noticed I had drier skin. Turns out, nope wasn't drinking enough water. Now my skin is back to being soft and not flakey and all those weird skin problems (patchy skin type) cleared up.

No more snake lady for me!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 15:16

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%

I have rosacea (reddening of the skin on cheeks and nose), and dry skin on my face as well. Since I started drinking a lot more water, my face is clearing up and not nearly as red or dry. Methinks we're onto something here

Sh'ra
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 15:34
Registered Member

Plan: pregnant so maintenance level
Stats: 136/122/---
BF:
Progress: 89%

as well as the water, you may be deficient in essential fatty acids. I've had dry skin for years, which didn't improve on this diet (despite heaps of water) until I started taking Flaxseed oil, GLA and fish oils.
I think in Canada and the States you can get the right mix in something called Udo's oil? Doreen, Karen or Nat would know.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 05:20

Stats: 132.5/127/105
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default So Glad you mentioned crawling skin

Hi,

I was freaking out this morning. Thought I was delusional. Day five of Atkins and couldn't sleep, felt tiny bug like things all over...very wierd...what is that???
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 12:03

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 326/280/155 Male 5'6
BF:37
Progress: 27%
Default Re: Questions

Quote:
Originally posted by TeachinNV
Hi All...
I've been low carbing since 12/6,

I was just curious about something

If you have been low carbing since 12/6/01, why have you lost only 11 pounds?

Or is it that you havent updated your stats as of yet?

Cause I was thinking if you been on this diet for 7 months and only completed 9% of your weightloss, you may be doing something wrong (which would explain for the itchiness)
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 12:26
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I took that to mean June 12, not December 6.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 19:39
Registered Member

Stats: 235/213/150
BF:

The first post is dated Dec 13th.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-02, 20:00

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Teach hasn't posted since 04/14/02, so I'm not sure she's still visiting our board. Some people DO lose very slowly, though, despite doing everything correctly. A lot of different factors influence how easily and quickly each of us loses weight. If I were to lose 10 lbs this month and another member 2 lbs it wouldn't necessarily mean that the member who lost less weight was doing something wrong or cheating. Sometimes it just happens that way.