Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-04, 19:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/200/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Stupid Question - Too much, too fast?

Ok, this is probably a stupid question, but can you lose too much weight too fast on Atkins? I started Atkins Induction on May 3, and so far (37 days) I've lost 27 pounds. The first week I lost around 10 pounds, then nothing for about 10 days. The other 17 came off over about 20 days or so. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining and I feel great!!! But I've read that it's best for the weight to come off over a long period of time to help the body adjust and help ensure that the weight will stay off. I've been exercising more than I have in years so I'm sure that's contributing. I guess I'm just wondering now if losing this much weight this quickly could possibly be bad for me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-04, 20:11

Plan: whatever the heck works
Stats: 169/138/120 Female 66 inches
BF:no/thank/you
Progress: 63%

I really don't know how much is too much to lose, but I was wondering if I could rub you for good luck!!

Seriously, congratulations on your amazing start, and hopefully, someone will have some insight as to whether or not you're losing too fast.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-04, 20:13
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

when you are heavier you lose faster, and some find that you lose more steadily.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-04, 21:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 271/226/160 Female 5'5
BF:

There will come a point where your weight will stall. Light the previous person stated, the heavier you are the more that will come off but it showed slow down.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 05:15

Plan: LC BFL
Stats: 279/155/135 Female 5'5
BF:39/24/<20
Progress: 86%

you and i are in similar boats... im sure we're going to slow WAY down soon... the biggest thing i've heard is that we have to be careful because rapid weight loss wont allow our skin to get any elasticity back
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 08:12
Registered Member

Stats: 218/208/140 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default sil said

My sil sells advocare, and said that she sells this stuff that helps skin elasticity(sp) what do you think? Is it just a scam, or could it actually help? I thought drinking alot of water would help with this.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 09:07
I'm Losin' It

Stats: 190.5/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:ha/ha/18%
Progress: 0%

WTO go on the lbs lost

If you do a search on the name afwife, you will find Lily, who lost 30 lbs in 30 days and this was well into her Atkins stint. It scared her so she had her Dr check her out. He said there was nothing wrong and to keep up what ever she was doing!

As far as the skin goes, there is something to be said for the slow loss because it does give your body time to adjust.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 09:10
Queen of Bouncing

Plan: Temp - PSMF
Stats: 240/198/135 Female 63"
BF:Who Knows
Progress: 40%

I want to lose too much too fast! Pretty please? Huh? Can I? Huh?

You're doing so good! Congrats!

Debbie
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 09:13

Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%

My advice....if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Unless you're having side effects (nausea, lack of energy, etc.), I'd say keep on keepin' on!

BTW...can you give us a peek at your typical menu so maybe the rest of us can get in on your little secret??
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 13:32

Stats: 229/200/159 Female 67 inches
BF:

First of all, thank you all for your kind words or encouragement. This place has definitely been a blessing on my journey thus far.

As far as the stall goes, I have been trying to mentally prepare myself for that for the last couple of weeks. I know it WILL happen, it's just a matter of WHEN. I don't know how I'll take it when it happens, but I'm trying to remember that I've done well so far and never expected to see even this much success. Also, I've put on the weight over several years so can't expect it all to come off immediately. (Of course, when this stall does happen, I probably won't be thinking of any of that. )

Did you really want to see my menu?? It varies, but I guess it typically goes something like this:

Breakfast ~ around 8:00 am
1 or 2 sausage patties OR a few strips of bacon
an omelet consisting of 1 or 2 eggs and some sauted veggies

If I'm in a hurry (or wanting something sweet) I'll fix a mock danish but that doesn't keep me satisfied as long. Or if I have any leftovers from supper the night before, I'll eat that.

Lunch ~ usually around 2:00 pm since I'm not hungry til then
salad - I've gotten tired of the lettuces right now and will have plenty later on in the garden so I've been using cabbage instead
typically add in one or more of the following: cucumber, mushroom, jicama, and then top with my 1-carb/serving salad dressing, which is the only packaged lc product that I have been using.

Supper/Dinner ~
This varies more than the rest, especially since some evenings I just don't have an appetite
Sometimes I'll have a chicken breast (or two)
or hamburgers
or bacon (can't get too much bacon )
I've tried a bacon cheeseburger casserole I found here and that was good.
Lately I've been having a lot of a ground beef concoction that I made up. It's basically just sauted veggies (onion, green pepper, cabbage, garlic, mushroom) mixed with some browned ground beef and a little cream cheese for some added flavor and to help hold things together a bit. It sounds weird, I know, but I enjoy it.

Edited to add: I also drink at least a gallon of water each day and no other liquids like soda or coffee.

Plus I've been getting quite a bit more exercise than I used to so I'm sure that plays a key role in the quick weight loss too.

I am a bit concerned about my skin's elasticity, especially in my stomach area. But I guess time will tell with that.

Well, I got a bit long winded, but thanks to each of you for your posts and encouragement. I know it will help keep me on the right path to lose my next 27 pounds, even if it takes a LOT longer.

Last edited by anonyMouse : Thu, Jun-10-04 at 13:36. Reason: Water
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 16:39
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

As long as you feel great, just pat yourself on the back and KEEP UP WHAT YOU'RE DOING! You are on your way!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 17:30

Stats: 296/258/136 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:Lots, definately
Progress: 24%

WTG anonyMouse (love the name btw!)!!! As everyone said, everyone is different. My DH is losing at about the rate you are (he has averaged 1 lb. a day for the past 40 days) and I have lost about 22.5 lbs (which I can't complain about) in the same time. To top it off though, he drinks more Diet Rite, and has more LC sweets. Ah well, just shows that everyone is different Hope your loss continues and you feel good =)
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-04, 20:59

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

If you are eating healthily and losing weight, you are fine. You have a very healthy metabolism. It will slow down, especially when you move to OWL but this diet is all about balance.