Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 18:12

Plan: my own thing
Stats: 116/109/110 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 117%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMOM

Anyhow, time to let this thread die i think!

Nope, you're not getting away that easy.

I would have returned it to the store if unopened. I would then mail or email a complaint to the company. We consumers should voice our opinions about products on the market, whether you're dissatisfied or not.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 18:29
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

With the peanut butter I can understand staying away. Hydroginated oils are the only kind of fat that have been proven to cause health problems. Plus they are just uneeded. A good natural peanut butte,r or even better one you have just made, it much tastier in my opinion. Even my kids made the switchwithout blinking an eye. I typically get Adam's natural PB and keep it stored upside down in the fridge so I don't have to stir.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 20:56
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/183/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:too much
Progress: 16%
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladycody
Gotta say PacNW...people come here for support and to share info...now this is just my opinion...but making a comment that sounds a whole lot like "well...what did you expect idiot"...isnt very supportive. Just a little note. Phrasing can be hurtful....and people dont instantly "know" all the in's and out's and tricks of this WOE...it's a learning process....so sharing mistakes and info should be recognized with acknowledgement, support, and gratitude(if you learn something new). JMHO

Ladycody, WELL SAID!!!! I was just thinking about writing the same thing, when I read your post
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 21:50
Registered Member

Stats: 269/235/170 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 34%

What is hydrogenated oil ?
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 21:56

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Hydrogenated oils are oils that have been put through a horrid hydrogenation process to make them either semi-hard or hard, like margarine and shortening. They're also called TransFats. The hydrogenation process renders these oils extremely harmful to the body. Basically, they are guilty of what butter and lard has been accused of for years now--hardening of the arteries. There're quite a few topics on the subject if you'd like to search the forum.
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 06:00

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 237/182/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

We as consumers might as well get used to situations like this, where products are marketed to a specific demographic group like LC eaters with scant regard for anything but the companies' bottom line. These companies are, after all, in business for one reason only -- to make money. They are interested in their own financial health and will do whatever they can, within the confines of the law, to improve their earnings. They are not interested in your health, unless your health has an impact on their profits.

And any one of us, as an individual, matters little to these companies because they are interested in big trends and demographic groups, not in particular persons or even in the validity or invalidity of particular scientific theories. If they can sell more product by presenting it to a new and defineable target audience, you'd better believe that there is little that the marketers won't stoop to

IMO, it's up to us as consumers to make the choices as to what does or does not make sense -- nutritionally, economically, philosophically. Eventually, the LC hype will diminish, and with any luck, some good and worthy LC food products will remain because they have a market, but the ridiculous ones will fade away into oblivion.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 07:25

Stats: 238/234/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 6%

LadyCody, I agree 100% with you about PacNW's post. When I read your post PacNW, I thought to myself "that is a really mean reply". Maybe you did not mean it in the "tone of voice" that I read it in, but SFmom didn't deserve a reply like that! LadyCody is correct we come here for support. We don't need someone beating us up over our mistakes because the Good Lord knows we are all capable of doing that ourselves!
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 09:04

Stats: 206/166/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 49%

SFMom, You've busted my bubble, LOL I thank you so much for this thread, I bought some steak sauce, dressing, peanutbutter. And I've been eating it, My son likes the peanutbutter, I'll give it to him! Man Now what am I going to do. Now I need to find a salad dressing I like that I can use. ANY suggestions?
Tammy
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 09:27

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I read labels on all packaged foods even those that don't promise low carb contens. You will find that there are many products that are low carb without mentioning that fact on the front label. Ken's Steakhouse dressings are very low in carbs and there are other brands of mayos that as few carbs as Carb Options without using any sweetener.
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 09:34
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof4boys
SFMom, You've busted my bubble, LOL I thank you so much for this thread, I bought some steak sauce, dressing, peanutbutter. And I've been eating it, My son likes the peanutbutter, I'll give it to him! Man Now what am I going to do. Now I need to find a salad dressing I like that I can use. ANY suggestions?
Tammy

Not to be a butthead, but if you're so concerned about the transfats in the peanut butter that YOU won't eat it, why give it to your child?
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 09:35

Stats: 245/195/170 Male 5 10
BF:
Progress: 67%

Quote:
I have a huge axe to grind with these companies--and I'd like to grind it sharp. They slap a label onto a product and unfortunately all too many people are in a hurry shopping or whatever and just grab the product off the shelves without thinking to check labels. It happens to the best of us.

Instead of throwing them away, though, you should have taken them back to the store and got a refund, explaining how these products aren't suited to an LC lifestyle and why.

This is in concert with what I think. It is up to each of us to read the labels. And we need to challenge the stores for carrying "low carb" products that are not. Unfortunately, we each weigh differently the ease of chucking the item against the hassle of returning it to the store.
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 10:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
Not to be a butthead, but if you're so concerned about the transfats in the peanut butter that YOU won't eat it, why give it to your child?

Well, I just read my carb option peanut butter and compared it to regular peanutbutter and the difference is lower carbs, and splenda instead of sugar, the transfats say zero on both, also the oils are only partially hydrenated,(sp)
I think better than regular peanut butter, I wouldn't take that from my child, (he's very thin) and he likes it alot!
Tammy
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 10:20

BF:

Also after actually reading the label myself ( didn't see any sucrose) only splenda I will continue to eat this myself, I only do it very occasionally anyway!
Tammy
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 10:29
Registered Member

Stats: 132/117.2/115 Female 5'3
BF:20%
Progress: 87%

Now that i think about it, i believe that the ' cornsyrup & sugar' that was added to the CarbOptions steak sauce was due to the Worchestire(sp?) sauce. Which makes sense. I agree with the other poster about LC products being very expensive, and choosing the CarbOptions brand because of that. I guess everything in moderation and we'll be fine. Cheers!
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 10:56
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
I just read my carb option peanut butter and compared it to regular peanutbutter and the difference is lower carbs, and splenda instead of sugar, the transfats say zero on both, also the oils are only partially hydrenated,(sp)

For me regular peanut butter says "Ingredients: peanuts" no sugar or transfats :P