Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 06:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 251/228/205
BF:
Progress: 50%
Angry Damage control

This weekend I really went off the deep end and ate just about non stop .Lots of carbs. I have not cheated at all for over a month. Have lost lots of weight. Now this. How much will this set me back if I get back on track and stay faithful to L/C eatting.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 07:44

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

OK. So if you ate lots of carbs, your glucagon stores are replenished. This causes your body to store a corresponding amount of water. You will probably see an immediate weight gain - but it will be primarily water. You need to re-induct and use up that glucagon. So, it will probably take 3 days to get your body back into ketosis.
Jump back in and restart induction!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-01, 11:08

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hello:

This seems to be the weekend of "incidents" as I too, made tons of bad choices - starting with Friday late afternoon.

Why do you think people error -- it is not a question of committment because I am committed, I havere-started Induction 3 times!!! I lost 20 and then gained someback of the weekend because of uncontrollable eating.

I am open to suggestions of how to find the motivation or spirit to get back and the reason why I fail.

Thanks
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-01, 11:41
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Wink My thoughts

I have thoughts on this subject. I don't like saying we are cheating. No one should try for a set amount of carbs for LCing without listening to their body. However, if one is addicted to carbs, try not to eat sugar, and sweetners. Its just way too tempting. Lets face it. Carbs were a comfort food and when one is stressed or saddened or upset they were a big help. So how do you change that? You need to find other ways to comfort.

I am a carbaholic. I also have Anxiety, OCD, and ADHD. Mental Madness is my middle name. Oh and did I have comfort foods!! Potatoes, warm bread, ice cream to name a few. Nowadays, when I need comfort, I find a friend to hug, someone to talk to, hop onto this website. I also have a gameboy and I will be honest, I find fighting pokemon gets rid of anger and fustration.
Now, I figured out what to do by trial and error.

Please understand, you did nothing wrong. Isn't LCing a life's lesson? Don't we constantly needing to adjust to how our lives are going, what is happening in our daily lives and to our bodies?
I mean I eat alittle more carbs a week before my TOM. Why? If I don't I will eat any chocolate I can find. So I buy cream cheese and mix cocoa, sweetner, cream and vanilla into it. I chill it and now I have a low carb treat. I just have it in moderation. (The high fat helps with that).

This is just my advice. Also plan days to have carbs like on birthdays, holiday meals, ALLOW yourself to have some potates, rice, a roll. Just keep it down and make sure you drink your water... heck add a liter if you can. You will be surprised. You could actually Lose weight. Really!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-01, 12:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

Excellent advice Lessara! I read recently [written by LC Sponge, she has such wisdom] that we cant consider it cheating when we indulge in carbs....cheating implys U are trying to better yourself over someone by unscrupulous means. When we over indulge in carbs most often it is for comfort. Carbs are a big factor in raising seritonin levels in our brain which helps us to feel "happy".The feel good feeling unfortunately doesnt last long with carbs cause guilt sets in. If u do over eat the bad stuff....get back to induction..drink hordes of water and take something like chromium to help fight cravings. And peace be with U....most people have times when they drift off...but the sooner U get back on the better.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 00:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/252/180 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

I agree everyone's feedback.. I think we have to allow ourselves some freedom ... otherwise.. that old diet mentality crawls back into mind... the minute I 'cannot' have something.. I want 50,000.-- AND this may not be the case for everyone.. you have to get to know yourself..

December can be an especially difficult tiime. I have been doing well.. but have been caught off guard 3 times by meetings I went to where cookies, fudge, punch, breads etc were served. Everyone I talked with had 'sweet breath'. What really helped is to have my water bottle... and then to WATCH people as they ate.. cookie after cookie and think how unhealthy the high sugar content is...and how lethargic they were going to feel etc...

It was still hard.. but i managed... I suppose at some point I may add a few 'special carb's' into my plan for the holiday.. so I don't dive into the first chocolate cake I see...

The key is preparation and planning....

hang in there everyone...

Ramona
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 00:48

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 244/224/130 Female 5' 3" (should be 6'3")LOL
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default no kidding!

This is such a hard time of year to stay focused and controlled.
I had such a terrible week and ate non stop. Everything I could get my hands on. I know that when I loose control I have a hard time getting back on track. I am a true carb junky!!!!!!!!
Thank goodness I am not a crack head LOL.