Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 21:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/245/155 Female 66
BF:
Progress: -7%
Default How do you get past the past?

For about 15 years I have been overweight. I think the thinnest I have been in 15 years is 180. I was always heavy except when I was chemically dependent so I don't really count that then of course, there were the bouts with eating disorders throughout my teens. I guess I want to know if I can realistically reach my goal of 155 if I can't even remember the last time I was at that weight. How many of you that have been consistently overweight throughout the years have been able to get past the past and get to a normal weight?
Am I reaching to high with my goal?
One other thing...I have never, ever since age 12 worn a pair of jeans because of my tummy...just had to mention that.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 21:15

Stats: 248/138/125 Female 5 ft. 3
BF:
Progress: 89%

There is no reason at all for you to not be able to weigh 155, no matter how long its been since you last weighed it.

As for you not wearing jeans since you were age 12.... I bet one day you will be posting us a pic of you wearing a pair of jeans when you make goal.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 21:19

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

I don't wear jeans--because they give me nasty yeast infections. I'm hoping with LCing that may become a thing of the past.

I've seen a book recommended on here by Dr. Phil McGraw(?). PotatoFree is the one who so highly recommends it and I think with good reason. From what she says, this book is extremely helpful with the emotional baggage we all pack with us when it comes to our weight loss. I should really get it from the library and read it because I know I have my own emotional issues.

I was heavy from the time I was 10 until 21. Then I took drastic measures and lost a bunch of weight, which I kept off until I became pregnant. If I had only known then what I know now! I joined WW after she was born and lost about 20 pounds, then dropped out with the next pregnancy. Over the years I basically went up and down, down and up between 190 and 210 (which may explain why I'm having problems losing now). My bathroom scales ended up completely rusty after a leaky water heater incident so I trashed them and didn't replace them. Wearing sweat pants isn't exactly good for indicating whether you're gaining weight or not, so I was a little surprised to find myself at 229 pounds last fall.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 21:24

BF:

I can't wait till we are all in Onederland!

I am tired of weighing over 200....its coming off faster lately, but I am so impatient to just get under 200!

I have lost 20 pounds in a little less than 2 months...if it continues at this rate I will be very happy!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 21:44
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nka
For about 15 years I have been overweight. I think the thinnest I have been in 15 years is 180. I was always heavy except when I was chemically dependent so I don't really count that then of course, there were the bouts with eating disorders throughout my teens. I guess I want to know if I can realistically reach my goal of 155 if I can't even remember the last time I was at that weight. How many of you that have been consistently overweight throughout the years have been able to get past the past and get to a normal weight?
Am I reaching to high with my goal?
One other thing...I have never, ever since age 12 worn a pair of jeans because of my tummy...just had to mention that.

All my life I've been fat. I've been obese since my late childhood years.

I too thought my 150 lb goal was to unambitious. I got to 135 eventually, currently I am 133 (have been stalled out for awhile now though, I think my bod is tired of shedding pounds and goal weight is near by).

Your goal certainly is NOT too ambitious and if you stay dedicated you WILL eventually get there! I thought I was destined to not only be fat, but obese. If I can do it, anyone can.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 21:45

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Lipid, you are doing very well, indeed! Ah yes--Onderland! I so look forward to it! I'd like to be there by the first of July. Let me raise a glass in toast for best wishes for all of us trying to get there! *cheers*
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 22:23

Stats: 203/138/140 Female 65inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I too was overweight for most of my adult life. I am now as low as I was when I graduated from high school. I have stuck with it and have now maintained for over 4 months.

It can be done, and YOU can do it.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 23:18

BF:

Jennifer

I think that staying around here even after you make goal is a good thing to do....not only does it keep encouraging the rest of us, but it has to help keep you focused as well.

I hope to do the same and not lose sight of things once I finally make my goal.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 23:20

BF:

Lila

I hope that you make it to Onederland by the first of July and that I make it there by the first of August....after that my next mini-goal will be 185 because I can wear a size 12 then and don't look obese...just chubby.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 05:40

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 237/182/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

"If -- I -- knew then
What I know now
When I was younger ..."

Apologies to Rod Stewart. (I never thought that I would be quoting a Rod Stewart song as a source of wisdom )

Boy, I wish I'd known about controlled carb eating years ago (hits self on head with large rubber mallet) Ouch.

I'm heading for 160 as a goal. To be honest, I don't remember the last time I weighed 160; I suppose that it was in high school, but I didn't weigh myself then. It simply wasn't an issue. The lowest weight I actually remember was about 175, in university, when the GP at the university clinic wanted me to lose a few pounds to match those tables of height/weight. To be honest, I really don't think that I needed to -- I am quite tall, and quite muscular, and (at least then) I was quite curvy through the torso. Still, that's how I arrived at my goal weight -- using the recommendations of a doctor all those years ago.

It will be interesting to see how close I can come to this target. I'm just so thrilled at this point to be losing weight (fat) and getting healthy that achieving a particular goal weight is a purely academic exercise -- great if it can be done, but I'll be happy with wherever I end up if it's lean and healthy.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 06:19
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Another good book about losing weight and body image is "Passing For Thin" by Frances Kuffel.

I highly recommend it!

Beth
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 06:27

BF:

thank you all for your replies. I go through this routine everyday where I make myself imagine a thin me and tell myself I can do it but I just needed to hear that it really is possible. I plan on staying around here. I don't think it is cool to abandon people who help you. Besides, I bet if I left I would lose focus and pack the pounds back on. What is more depressing than that?
I often wish I had extra $ to go to a LC camp or something. Wouldn't that be the shit?
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 06:59

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 188/173/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Set your goals, and try not to get frustrated. There are going to be times of slow or no loss (living that one ). Set in your mind that this is the key to having the body and health that you desire and that LCing and some time WILL do that, if you just stick with it. Make it your way of life, dont think of it as temporary. If you crave something sweet, look in the recipes that you can make yourself. If youre bored, read back through posts and surely you will find something you didnt know. Exercise, exercise, exercise and make sure to drink water, lots of water. Thats all I got this early. Best of luck!!!!!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 07:05

BF:

Thanks Pookalee. I am telling myself over and over that this is a way of life. Wouldn't it just be easier if it was THE way of life, in general? That would rock.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 09:10
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

did I hear my name?

I have vague recollections of being thin, feeling confident and happy in my own skin... as Dr P would say, it's not just that NUMBER I want to attain, but the feelings surrounding it as well. Part of my goal is to feel content, satisfied and happy, no matter what weight I am. I struggle to separate body image from SELF image though... it's hard not to let the number on the scale make me feel like a failure, like I deserve less somehow.

I really DO feel like the "Ultimate Weight Solution" is helping me make it possible. That's why I have the link in my signature. I think it can really help a lot of people...I only wish I got a commission!