Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 14:14
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Remember the "Report Post" function if a comment seems rude or out of line.

Personally, I feel like it was an overreation to get so upset. A LOT of products can have traces of sugar and still be low carb. Ranch dressing, some brands of mayo, packets of Splenda have maltodextrin... To each their own, but I wouldn't worry so much about a trace here and there.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 14:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 132/117.2/115 Female 5'3
BF:20%
Progress: 87%

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I guess i should have really thought about it before tossing it out. I was just so ticked off! I was never a big fan of 'natural' peanut butter, but at this point i can't be picky. I'd rather ditch the hydrogenated oils.

Gee, i wonder if i can still take the junk from the garbage and mail it back to the company with a complaint?
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 14:29

Stats: 191.5/160/135 Female 5'3
BF:39.8%/?/27%
Progress: 56%

Does the company make anything that you would eat? It wouldn't take much energy to write them a letter, explaining everything (and mentioning that you do like x product). They might send a sample or coupon!
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 14:30
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I can't hack the natural peanut butter. I've tried three brands<bleh> I'll take a trace of hydrogenated oil for the texture, and since I've cut the vast majority of them from my diet, I figure I won't drop dead from occasional peanut butter.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 14:34

Stats: 191.5/160/135 Female 5'3
BF:39.8%/?/27%
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedbei
Personally, I don't see the big deal and I can't believe you threw the stuff out.

I would have tossed it, but that's because I do my best to do Atkins by the book (one exception-- I didn't cut out caffeine completely). Some people can cut corners and still lose, but I can't.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 14:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Stick to natural peanut butter and you'll never need to worry about anyone adding sugar or trans-fats.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 15:02
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

checking out my bottle of carb options steak sauce...sucrose...sucrose....sucrose...nope, don't see sucrose. i see SUCRALOSE. that's splenda.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 15:03
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

don't see corn syrup either!
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 15:24

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I'd rather ditch the hydrogenated oils.

I think you're smart to do so, SFMOM. Studies have shown that as little as 1 gram of transfat per day can cause problems.
I don't think that a small amount of corn syrup would cause a huge problem but if you are sensitive to sugar in any form it's wise to avoid that as well.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 15:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

there isnt any sugar in the peanut butter either
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 17:00
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMOM
So, i thought that i was being sooooo smart buying the Carb Options brand peanut butter & steak sauce last week! Yesterday while i was enjoying my steak, i decided to check out the ingredients on the back. Sugar & cornsyrup were listed among splenda!! What bloody nerve! I then checked out the peanut butter, yeah it may be made with splenda....but has hydrogenated oils!! Oh boy, i'm telling you all please read the labels before buying......talk about discouraging! I threw both out. Thanks for reading my rant.

That is the reason why I do not buy nor eat any of that processed stuff.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 17:05
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMOM
Gee, i wonder if i can still take the junk from the garbage and mail it back to the company with a complaint?

Sure you can. They might get the hint if you mail it back to them but before you do decide to do that do you really want to incure the mailing costs for sending it back?

Of course you could always peel the labels of the jars, mail them those with a letter and the offending substances circled on the label and tell them what you did with the stuff in the jars and how ticked off you were.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 17:10
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think the point here is that companies are slapping "LC" on their labels and assume that none of us give a hoot about anything but the carb count. Trusting consumers we are, we assume that they'd give us a quality product that aligns itself with the concepts behind LCing.

And talk about reinventing the wheel. I can understand making an alternative ketchup or steak sauce, which is usually sweet. But Carb Options (I think that's the brand) Alfredo sauce? That cracks me up. They want $5 a jar for it.

Moral of the story: regarding trace sugars and hydrogenated fats, decide for yourself what you are and aren't willing to eat, then read labels and see if a product fits into that. Trust the greedy processed food companies about as far as you'd throw them and don't let them dictate what's "okay".

</rant>
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 17:38
Registered Member

Stats: 132/117.2/115 Female 5'3
BF:20%
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue4lemon
checking out my bottle of carb options steak sauce...sucrose...sucrose....sucrose...nope, don't see sucrose. i see SUCRALOSE. that's splenda.

Perhaps the ingredients are different if manufactured in the US. My version was made in Canada. The ingredients were in the middle of the ingredient description....corn syrup, modified cornstarch, sugar...blah.blah..blah..

Anyhow, time to let this thread die i think!
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 18:12

Stats: 231/172/175 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/19%/17%
Progress: 105%

To be fair to the companies, they are bringing these products to market much much cheaper then current low carb products. Why, because they are using mass production and some common ingredients. They don't add sugar on purpose. They add worchester sauce to the steak sauce. Now, for the tiny bit they use do you really want them to come up with a whole new worchester sauce that drops the carbs by 0.1, but adds 25 cents per bottle? I don't. Since they used the comercial worchester sauce (and other base ingredients) they have to put the ingredients on the label.

The point is, there is 1.2 grams of carbs in the steak sauce. 1.1 would make no significant difference. You have to put the amount of an ingredient in perspective. Sugar itself is fine, lots of sugar sucks.

I certainly don't expect these companies to go to extremes, I want good tasting low carb products at a reasonable price. I want the prices to drop more in fact. I am sick of paying $8 dollars for a small bottle of barbeque sauce from other companies, I will use the $4 bottle of carb options.

brobin