Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-04, 17:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 369/303/220 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default A Low carb sub for rice?

You know,
If there is one thing I do miss is rice, I can live the rest of my life without most of the common High carb foods. When I am in LC and am faithful to it, my cravings for them are very little and easily overcome. But not rice, I think its because I really enjoy the texture and am fond of the food. To me there is great enjoyment in a warm bowl of white rice with a pat of butter and salt on it for supper.
So I am looking for a sub, because rice isn't good for me. Do they have a low carb variety, I know there is something called while grain rice, not sure if it has allot of carbs though.
I also heard there is a way to shred coliflower to the size of rice and cook it, and it resembles it allot. Since I love the taste of coliflower, it sounds like a wonderful idea. Has anyone done this? Do you use a special shredder or something? Should you cook it first? LOL, hmmm is it any good ?

Any rice like food you might use, I would love to hear about, rice really doesn't have much flavor anyway, so what Im looking for is kind of a rice like feel to add taste too, umm like a pat of butter
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-04, 18:58

Stats: 290/295.4/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: -3%
Lightbulb Potato Ricer?

hey, I've never tried it but I know that a lot of LCers use cauliflower to replace potatoes. There is this tool called a potato ricer (you can find it in a kitchen store like Williams Somoma) anyway chef's put cooked potatos in it to mash them to a rice-like consistency. Maybe you could do the same thing with cauliflower.... The ricer looks like a huge garlic press, just so you know..
Lemme know how it turns out if you try it.
BAM
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-04, 19:10
Amazonian Princess

Stats: 310/310/155 Female 5' 7"
BF:i/have/some
Progress: 0%

I too am a HUGE rice fan!

I asked Karen Barnaby about using the ricer and she suggested not too....what you'll actually get is mashed cauliflower instead. Just quarter the head of cauliflower, cook in boiling water til just firm, not raw/not mush. Drain the cauliflower, let the quarters cool so you can handle them. Grate on a regular box grater. Looks just like rice!

Karen has a great recipe for "cauli-flied rice" that is amazing.....totally hits the spot!!

Hope this helps!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-04, 23:28
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave
I also heard there is a way to shred coliflower to the size of rice and cook it, and it resembles it allot. Since I love the taste of coliflower, it sounds like a wonderful idea. Has anyone done this? Do you use a special shredder or something? Should you cook it first? LOL, hmmm is it any good ?

I believe I saw a *rice* recipe using cauliflower in one of my low carb cookbooks. Since I have little to do this weekend I could look through them and post it when I find it if you'd like.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 06:07
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

I've used the Cauli-flied Rice recipe with leftover chicken, some veggies and soya sauce -- and voila -- it was tasty!!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 06:10

Plan: My own
Stats: 322/277/175 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 31%

There are a few lc "rice" recipes here:
Linda's LC Menus and Recipes
I haven't tried them, but have tried other recipes at her site and they are good.

Have fun and enjoy!
Mary
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 06:42

Stats: 432/370/220 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Dont forget Maggots and meal worms....fry up just like fried rice...90% protein....Big John
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 06:52

Plan: My own
Stats: 322/277/175 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Big John -
That is my visual when I don't want to be tempted by sweets - the food covered in maggots - eeewwwwwwwwyyyyyy!!!!!!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 06:54
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Dave: I cut up the cauliflower in smaller chunks, and then use a small food processor to "rice" it. Then either fry it in olive oil or boil, then drain it in a large sieve. I find that not so much of it ends up all over the kitchen floor this way than with hand grating it.

It doesn't taste like rice, but if you like cauliflower (I do), the texture is right.

Kay
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 07:21

Stats: 335/203/190 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 91%

I have also food processed some egg white to the consistancy of rice and used that as a substitute. Not bad if used with some sort of sauce. Actually used it as a sushi rice substitute too.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 16:17
Beautifully Chaotic

Stats: 334.5/320.0/150.0 Female 63 inches / 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress: 8%

Sounds worthy of a try, thanks...