Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 14:47

Plan: LC BFL
Stats: 279/155/135 Female 5'5
BF:39/24/<20
Progress: 86%
Thumbs down gawd, im so pathetic

im not even hungry. im not even bored. i just ate a huge meal a little over an hour ago... like 2 small chicken breasts and a cup of squash... so, im not lacking calories or fat or protien OR carbs... and im still sitting here snacking on pistachios. wth is wrong with me? why can't i break this habit? i've given up on bread and potatos and french fries and coke- my former favorite foods- nearly effortlessly. but i can't keep my hands and mouth occupied long enough to stop me from wanting to snack- or something. this has been my hugest struggle thus far- snacking. i feel doomed to fail if i can't get over this obsession. im pretty sure its a mental thing- like an anxiety disorder or something. is there any hope for people like me?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 14:54
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

If you come across the cure let me in on the secret. I do feel for you. Actually, I feel LIKE you! I just had dinner. And then an hour later had 2 SF popsicles and then a few minutes later an Atkins Endulge bar.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 14:56
weighing in....

Plan: BFL
Stats: 245/225/200 Female 5' 10"
BF:Why, yes, yes I do
Progress: 44%

Crystal...

Don't lose your head now! Look at what you've done so far, down 41 pounds!

Stopping that boredom eating is hard to do... keep you hands busy and drink water. When you find yourself reaching for food go get some water and get away from the food!

We all know you can do it....! I used to do a lot of needlepoint or cross stitch to keep my hands busy after work (and keep me from shoving food in my mouth!). You'll find your way - don't beat yourself up when you have slips.

Kiks
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 14:56
Beautifully Chaotic

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 334.5/320.0/150.0 Female 63 inches / 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress: 8%

I so understand! I am the same way with any nuts.... I have been eating pork rinds instead since they have no carbs and still seem to satisfy the crunch-crave... I mean, who can eat a Tablespoon of sunflower seeds! that is an appetizer...
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 15:29
Registered Member

Plan: DietToGo Low Carb
Stats: 280/206/180 Male 72 inches
BF:Huh? Duh!
Progress: 74%

Since you say you aren't hungry, then it is probably just a habit. Maybe you really enjoy the crunch of the nuts.

Next time you have the urge, try to do something different. Maybe go get a drink of water. Or, take a walk around the block or up and down the stairs a few times. Or, do a few situps.

Basically, you want to replace your food habit with some other habit that is better for you.

I just found I was watching too much TV in the evenings and I had my nut binge when I was just sitting on the couch like a zombie (over 1000 calories in one nut crunching session). Very easy to snack that way. So, I'm trying to get out more in the evenings. If you are engaged doing something actively, you won't be thinking about food assuming that you aren't hungry.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 15:30

Stats: 432/370/220 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hey Crystal
Yep I believe it truly is in our heads....I know for at least the last 10 years the majority of my thought patterns have been on food....Where am I gonna eat next....What am I gonna eat next...hell I would find my self lineing up stuff and places days in advance looking forward to them like a little kid at christmass....pretty dang sad...Breaking the munchies habit is one of the hardest things to do...so dont feel like your alone!!! I have tried some of the LC munchie stuff...like walnuts...High fiber..low Lc...unless you eat a half bag of them...lol...The best way I found to deal with it for me at least...I buy it I try it If i can use it in moderation I keep buying it...If I cant keep it in moderation I just wont buy it anymore...I figure when...not if...I get to my goal weight I can add a few things back in...EVERY ONCE IN AWHILE....Your doing Good Crystal dont give up now!!!Big John
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 15:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 416/205/205 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Nuts are one of the legal snacks which I was forced to eliminate from my eating plan. I could NOT control the portions. It's one of the few things I've come upon which I cannot eat and eat reasonably. Hence, I stopped using them at all as snacks. I will use small amounts in a recipe, but, haven't used any as a snack for several months.

You might wish to consider giving up any food that you have problem controlling. It only takes a few days to get over the craving, and it makes for a much more pleasurable lifestyle.

If you take the time to research it, there's a world of choices out there which will satisfy you and still leave you in control of how much you choose to consume.

Best of luck to you - I'm very much aware of what the sound of food calling my name sounds like.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 15:43

Plan: LC BFL
Stats: 279/155/135 Female 5'5
BF:39/24/<20
Progress: 86%

oh my- i never expected this sort of response- thank you all so much for your support! its good to feel im not alone. i dont really think its the nuts that are the problem because if i eliminated them, i would just eat celery sticks and cream cheese or something else instead. its definately not a slip- this is an everyday, all day thing. i probably do need a hands-on hobby, but have yet to find one that interests me- i tried reading, but its just as easy to snack and read as it is to snack and watch tv. and i STILL do what you're describing john- ie- i can't wait to go to subway and get a turkey & provolone salad on saturday i drink a buttload of water, plus i smoke, so, its like the hands and mouth are constantly going and if they stop for any short period of time, i have to occupy them or i can't function... and since i can't smoke at my desk at work- i snack. i snack in between cigarettes at home. i dont know what im going to do with myself.... straight jacket maybe?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 17:22

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

I know what you mean Crystal and I think its a long term battle for most of us not to eat just for the sake of eating. I think I helped myself break the habit partly when I started taking lots of vitamin supplements....I sit with my plastic cup of supplements and big glasses of water and sip and swallow...it takes quite a while.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 18:26
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Maybe you need to eat more fat. Dip the chicken in mayo and add butter to squash and drink a big bottle of water. I've gotten nice and full and didn't even think about the low carb ice cream in the freezer.

Beth
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 20:14
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

My best hint..all meals and snacks HAVE TO be eaten at the table, on a plate. Snack if you want, but go make a production of measuring out a serving and sitting at the table. You'll break the "place association trigger" this way. Besides, it's a pain in the butt, and a lot of the time, the snack isn't worth the effort!

I did the same thing with cigarettes. I never did smoke around my son, so it was always out on the porch, on the way to/from work..AT work (a bar)... I had to deliberately re-train myself to ONLY smoke during break... while seated at the "break table" and ONLY there.

It really makes me put for thought into what I'm eating if I have to get up, dirty a dish, sit away from the tv, and THINK about what I'm eating.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 21:22
Rikki Tikki Tavi

Plan: Keto Clarity & Atkins
Stats: 262.5/257.6/180 Male 5'-11"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Pistachio Weakness

jemman,

I agree with the post on vitamin and mineral supplements, but also with the note about fat.

I love nuts, but I find that if I have to work to shell them, it slows me down. I stop and around 3-4 ounces of pistachios now. Used to be a lot more.

I was stalled and was taking too much cream - I put cream in everything! I wasn't hungry and didn't have cravings, but was not losing weight.

I cut the cream back to table cream from whipping cream - guess what? I got sugar cravings!!! I ate 2 Atkins Advantage Bars and had to stop myself from eating a third one.

This is a tough one and you will have to find your own triggers. I find that getting enough fat to satisfy and not too much to give you an upset stomach takes some time.

Hang in there and try a few of these things ... maybe a little cream???

Tom.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 21:26
3 Days at a Time

Plan: OWL
Stats: 150/150/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Start knitting.

No, really. I used to eat in front of the TV or while we were watching movies. Now, I knit. It takes both hands, it keeps me busy, and it distracts me.

Not to mention I have all kinds of great gifts to give as presents.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 13:06
Contributing Member

Stats: 259/190/135 Female 5'5
BF:OMG Too Much
Progress: 56%

Sounds like you have a "hand to mouth" habit. And since you can not smoke at your desk, you eat.

Use something to pretend you are smoking (like a shortened straw), chew gum or use your hand to mouth motion to sip water, over and over again (through a straw).

Be strong for a few days and you should break the habit.