Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 12:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/201/165
BF:32%/32%/25%
Progress: 14%
Unhappy Miserable failure....

I am so bummed out. I was doing relatively well many weeks ago when I was doing lc and hanging on this forum, and then got on a stall. Right around that time I went on vacation with a friend in Florida, and ate and drank like there was no tomorrow. Two weeks later, another friend came for the weekend, and the same thing. I've put on nearly 10 lbs from where I was at, and now feel desperate. My previous "fat" clothes don't fit, my face looks puffy, and my self-esteem is going south.

Fortunately, my foot is out of the cast, and after several weeks of phys therapy, I was finally able to do 30 minutes on my treadmill yesterday. Lack of exercise was a problem all summer, but now I can do it. I'd really like to get back on lc and combine it with exercise.

I recall how fast the weight started dropping the first time I did induction. I'm anxious to see that again...I need the boost seeing a few pounds drop quickly will bring me.

So, I'm back...and desperate. Looking for some encouragment and advice.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 12:46

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 209.9/206.6/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default You're no failure!

You just slipped a bit - you are definitely no failure! Just get back on the plan, make sure you measure yourself by inches and not just pounds (I'm finding that out myself) and you'll be fine.

I see you're from the Cleveland, Ohio area - East or West side? I'm on the East side myself.....

Get back into your good habits - you'll be back in rhythym in no time!

Mindy
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 12:50

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 270/205/160 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default One setback does not a failure make...

Hi Tikerberi,

This is just one small setback in the scheme of things. It's not the end of the world. First things first - get right back on the LC wagon! Being able to exercise is going to make a world of difference, too. I suspect a lot of that puffiness you have is probably water, so it should be gone in a few weeks and you'll be right back on track. Be sure to take measurements this time so that when you encounter your next scale stall you can see if you're losing inches. That happened to me over the first four weeks - I lost no weight for the second two weeks, but it turned out that I was losing inches instead. You might also check out the "jazz up your induction" menus on this site if you're having trouble feeling satisfied when you eat out with friends. You can make the foods much more appealing with a little creativity. Good luck and keep at it!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 13:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default Hi Tinker

Im sorry U feel bad. BUT U can start again!!! I would suggest drinking lots of water and take chromium it will help with the cravings. So many people have faulterd from this WOL so U arent alone. U can do this!!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 14:19

Plan: My own
Stats: 265/265/200 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up

Hi Tikerberi!! I, too, did this to myself, and have been back on track since Dec. 1. I don't know why we do this either, but it ODES feel good to eat correctly and feel better. Pick yourself up and start again. That's all we can do. Don't beat yourself up!!! Keep up the good work!!

ggd
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 14:30

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Miserable failure....

Quote:
Originally posted by Tikerberi
I recall how fast the weight started dropping the first time I did induction. I'm anxious to see that again...I need the boost seeing a few pounds drop quickly will bring me.

So, I'm back...and desperate. Looking for some encouragment and advice.

Don't be surprized, Tikerberi, if things aren't as fast this time around. Your body learns and adapts and it may not be so willing to let go of the fat/water. Sticking to your WOE and your guns will yeild the results you desire; patience will be a definite virtue.

Advice wise, I suggest you check out some of what you received from this board in the past:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=22472
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=22475
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=22389
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=19508

Your old Journal is here in the Archived and Inactive forum; if you reply to it it will be reactivated.

Welcome back,
Nat
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-01, 19:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/201/165
BF:32%/32%/25%
Progress: 14%
Default Wow, Nat...what a lovely idea...

Showing my some of my old posts and linking my journal were really encouraging. I already posted to the journal, but don't some of you find it a bit tedious to use fitday and journal too...or do you only journal on low carber and not fitday?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-01, 20:33

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Bah! You are not a failure! You are still low carbing right? I mean you haven't totally given up right?

Just look at this as a practice round of getting use to your new way of life! Practice makes perfect so keep practicing low carbin!

Seriously, don't beat yourself up over a slip. It only makes you feel bad and if you feel bad enough you look to comfort foods, which only make you slip even more. So look as your boo boo as a learning experience. What made you slip? How did you feel afterwards?

Use that to combat those cravings next time!

Keep positive thoughts!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-01, 20:56

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Fit Day & Journal

Quote:
Originally posted by Tikerberi
....don't some of you find it a bit tedious to use fitday and journal too...or do you only journal on low carber and not fitday?

Hi Tikerberi...

Welcome back and nice to meet you! You are already a winner because you came back! It's a first positive step.

I only journal here. But I DO use Fitday to keep track of my food intake and my exercise and my weight. I find that using it that way often helps to keep me out of trouble. I can always go there and have a look at my history and it helps to give me a boost and keeps me on the straight and narrow. I'm for using every tool that I can find. I need all of the help that I can get. It's why I'm here and why I'm still LCing.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you!

Marlaine
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-01, 21:38

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Fitday

Like Marlaine, I use fitday everyday and find it very useful. I get a kick out of hitting the reports tab and checking on just about everything (especially the weight loss )

It was a bit tedious at first, but once you've used it for a few items they are in the 'recent foods' list and it's just one click to get them back. I have always been a planner and a list maker; this makes sense to me.

Fitday isnt something you need to do every day or every meal; it's a useful tool when starting to out or when experiencing a problem. Once you know the correct portion size of a food and the carb / calorie count you can pretty much go from there. Use it to get started (say while on induction) After all, what's 2 weeks out of your life?

Nat