Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 19:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/161/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress:
Angry Major relapse- need encouragement

I didn't think this would happen to me. After countless years of dieting and the whole yo-yo cycle, I finally thought I had gotten past that. I had 3 and a half months of great success, was down almost 38 pounds and feeling great. Then bam- I have fallen and can't get out of the downward cycle. I have binged several nights in a row now. It has been horrible stuff. Each new day I say that I am going to start over in induction. I do great the whole day, until the evening hits and I am once again shoveling high carb goodies in my mouth. I do not have these goodies in my house. I feel a loss of control as i head to the store or where ever and get this crap. Its disgusting. I feel worse than ever. I know I want to keep doing LC. This was a lifestyle change for me, but this last week I am just out of control. It is so bad that I have gone from the lowest weight I had been in 2 years, 154, to this gross weight today off 168. This is in only 7 days!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel so sick and I just feel that i am totally losing it...Sorry about this vent.
I just had to get this out here, my self worth is dropping lower each day as I feel closer and closer to failure once again.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 19:46
The Spandex Killer

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 206.2/206.2/145 Female 5'9.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Skinni -- eek, you're describing my whole last year of unsuccessful dieting, where I would only make a day or maybe sometimes 2 or 3 before slipping into a binge. You need to STOP now and refocus. It is sometimes hard to recapture that frame of mind, but you CAN do it!

Here is my suggestion: Tomorrow you need to NOT focus on the last couple of days -- they are just drops in the bucket when compared to all the GOOD days you've had and all the weight you've lost. You need to go get some really tasty, satisfying LC food. Maybe stuff you've phased out by trying to watch other issues than LC. Each time you have the urge to go get something bad, get up and have something LC and satisfying. If that is bacon or pepperoni or cheese or chicken and mushroom sauteed in butter or tuna melts with extra mayo or whatever -- eat THAT.

For one day forget about sodium or calories or chemicals or what have you, the only rule is that it must be LC. I think you just need that ONE successful day to get back in the groove. And you'll regain your momentum.

You CAN do it -- look how much you've accomplished already. Nothing can really STOP you from succeeding. Sure, there will be bumps in the road, but they can't really STOP you. No way!

YOU CAN DO IT!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 19:57
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 100/110/100 Female short
BF:
Progress:

skinni-
I have battled binge eating disorder for years, and had controlled it for several months with atkins. recently though I went through a relapse while on vacation. I can totally relate to what you are going through. I'll be good for 2 days and then find myself raiding the pantry for sugar at night and I won't stop til my stomach is in extreme pain.
Some suggestions:
1. Make a journal and list down all the reasons why losing weight and keeping it off is important to you. Your health, your self esteem, your new clothes, etc etc (and include before and after pics for extra motivation)
2. Also make a list of things you can do when you feel the urge to binge. Take a walk, call a friend, watch a movie, read a book...
3. Clear your pantry of all that bad carby crap! And always keep good LC food on hand to eat when you do get the urge to munch.

You can do it. Come visit the forums when you need support. I am reinducting, I would suggest a clean reinduction as well to get the cravings out. Some of that weight is just water weight. Just eat clean and exercise and you'll be losing in no time. Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 20:27

Stats: 244/217/140 Female 5ft. 5in.
BF:
Progress: 26%

I can so totally relate. I have fallen off the wagon so to speak, and though my weight hasn't gone up more than a couple of pounds, I often think of how much more weight I could have lost if I would have stayed on track. The worst thing that I have noticed about not eating right, is that I feel like total CRAP all the time now. I am having headaches almost every day, my sinuses are all out of whack, and I am having to take naps in the afternoon just to make it through the day!!!!! Did I mention the mood swings?? LOL My kids are calling me Sybil!!!

I have re-dedicated myself to getting healthy. You can do it, and so can I. These boards will be alot of help in the coming days, and weeks.

Hang in there you will succeed!!!!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 20:40

Stats: 265/247.5/145 Female 5'4.25"
BF:50%/46%/15%
Progress: 15%

When I am stressed or upset, I sometimes fall into a carb binge. I must say journaling helps me with that. If I write down my feelings before I grab for the food, then I tend not to follow through with my binge. it is important to deal first with what is causing you to overeat in the first place. You have to nip it in the bud before you can have success in other areas of your life. I suggest reading Dr. Phil's 7 keys to weight loss success. That may help you.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 06:47

Plan: Atkins Wannabe
Stats: 260 ?/234/140 Female 63 Inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

If you are sure the evenings will be a tough time for you, for the time being, perhaps make plans to be elsewhere. Take a walk, go to a movie, visit with friends or family.

You just need to push the past few days out of your mind, and get back on the wagon!!!

It takes just as much courage to re-hop on the waggon, as initally getting on the waggon
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 08:22
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

I have done that so many times "ok I start back tomorrow" and then eat wendy's. and then do it the next day and the next day. the thing is, simply, you NEED TO GET PAST THE FIRST 2 OR 3 DAYS. After that it's a piece of cake (or LC cheesecake! lol).
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 08:39

Stats: 173/161/120 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

I agree with Alhana. When I feel like a binge, I just get out of the house. Get away from the tv and the couch, everywhere that reminds me of eating. It helps if you do something to help your image like go get you're hair cut, or join a yoga class or go to a tanning salon. This will help make you feel better about yourself and by the time you get home, you'll have totally lost the urge to eat, you'll be more focused on self improvememt. Well it works for me anyhow.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 08:49

Plan: RNY Gastric Bypass 2/1/10
Stats: 378/163/150 Female 5 ' 5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Thia may sound strange but I have held on to one of the outfits I was wearing at my heaviest wt of 375.6....which btw was too tight back then!.....Whenever I feel the urge to eat something bad I go and put that outfit on....It shows me just how far I've come and it scares me out of eating.....just the thought of having to wear that again is enough to snap me out of it! Looking at old pics of my "fat" self helps too.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 10:22

Stats: 192/161/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

Thanks everyone! I really do appreciate the encouragement- it's just what I needed. I put away the scale this morning so i won't focus on the weight gain or the past week. I have a nice T-bone planned for dinner, so hopefully all will be well today and I will (finally) get back on track!

To D3termined- how did you come to terms with the binge eating disorder? Have you seen a psychologist or any professional that helped? I really think I have had it for a long time, as a result of my struggle with anorexia in my teens. First I got fat from constant binging and doing nothing to compensate. With LC, I had been very controlled with the binging for several months. Its a horrible gross thing to do to your body and I hate doing it, but am usually out of control during the process.
Does anyone know of good books about this topic?
Thanks again-
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 10:13
Registered Member

Stats: 100/110/100 Female short
BF:
Progress:

To be honest, I am still struggling with it, but it is not as bad as it was before now that I have found LCing. My case is severe- I have to rely on medication and therapy, but for most people, LCing is enough to control bingeing. I suggest you read Dr. Phil's weight solution, it deals with the psychological aspect of weight loss/emotional eating, as well as rereading DANDR, which has a section on the psychology of weight loss for extra motivation. Take your supplements (5-HTP, chromium and l-glutamine, ALA are helpful), exercise, and be good to yourself. The worst thing to do is beat yourself up about it. You are human and we all make mistakes, just get back on track, you can do it. Remember you feel and look so much better when you eat healthy. Eat when you are hungry and not to feed your emotions. Ask yourself what you are feeding. If you are hungry, eat. If you are tired, stressed, or angry, take a walk, call a friend, exercise, read a book or watch a movie- anything but binge. Hope this helps and good luck. you can do this!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 13:13

Stats: 162/136/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Put the scale away for about a week or longer and start over. When you want to cheat eat something you're allowed to, like a lot of meat. I crave sweet stuff and when I do I'll eat cream cheese, or the mock danish recipe, also wipped cream frozen, sf jello, or have a cup of decaf coffee. For something crunchy go for pork rinds. The best thing that has worked for me is to find alternatives for the stuff I crave. Like if I want icecream, then I'll freeze some wipped cream. Also low carb dannon yogurt w/ wipped cream is a delicious treat as well. If all fails, then just get low carb food, like the lc bread, chips, chocolate, etc. I also remember the quote that someone has on here and its "Nothing tastes as good as being thins feels" or something like that, but its a good quote. Dont beat yourself up and good luck!