Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 10:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/161/125 Female 5'5
BF:29%
Progress: 35%
Default New member asking for advice on how to handle all inclusive vacations

undefined

Hi everyone! I've never done this before but i really need advice. I have been on Atkins for a few weeks and in a couple weeks i'm going with a group of friends on a package holiday. My friends plan on eating and drinking like crazy and i hear that there won't be any diet drinks/ low carb options available. I know i'm going to want to drink but i don't want to gain back the weight i've lost so far. Does anyone have any suggestions of low carb options or advice on how not to go totally crazy the minute i get off the plane? I would really appreciate your insight! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 11:40

Plan: General
Stats: 229/196/125 Female 5'3""
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi, what kind of vacation is it? Like a cruise or something where you have to eat what they have? Surely, there are salads, meats, water, etc. The Light beers are like 2.6 carbs per 12 oz bottle. Also, can you pack stuff to take with you? Snacks to curb your cravings, etc. I will be going on vacation in July so I have been worried about the same thing. Basically, we have to stick with it wherever we are and if possible take some things to make it easier on us, especially when everyone else will be eating and drinking whatever they want.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 12:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/135/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

An all-inclusive package should have plenty of low-carb options available. Load up on meats, eggs and veggies. Just skip the breads and desserts and you should be fine. A good low-carb drink option is rum and Diet Coke. Have fun!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 12:55
Registered Member

Stats: 198/162/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 62%

If you can...bring along some liquid crystal light lemonade(pack a carry on with some...1 btl makes 2 drinks). Order tequila in a glass on the rocks with lime and pour it in...you wont have a salted rim...but it'll work as a pretend margarita and is fairly low carb. You can use it with Vodka if preferred. Most straight alcohols (not flavored ones) are ok as well...either on the rocks or with a diet mixer. Just prepare yourself with some low-carb snack foods...because THAT will be your biggest risk...having too much to drink, lowering your resistence & possibly increasing cravings at the same time and then going nuts on high carb food. It's VERY do-able...just be ready and have fun!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 13:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/161/125 Female 5'5
BF:29%
Progress: 35%

Good idea on the crystal light and packing low carb snacks. I hadn't thought about bringing my own mix. It's a resort in Cuba (i'm canadian) and i heard they don't have diet coke or low carb beer on these resorts (gasp!). I will make sure to pack both items you suggested!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 13:05

Plan: Atkins Nutritional Plan
Stats: 194/165/145 Female 66
BF:39/37/28
Progress: 59%

I just got back from a week at an all-inclusive. And I didn't gain a pound. I ate a really good breakfast, omelets with all the fixings, buffet lunches, lots of jerk chicken and pork, and nice dinners. Plus I drank like the proverbial fish.
I stuck to rum and diet coke, scotch, white wine, and the occasional martini.
I found it very easy to stick to the plan. There were lots of options, and I just avoided rice, potatoes, and bread.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 16:00

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

I would just enjoy your vacation... don't stress about it and just make the best choices you can with what's available to you.

Jenn

(oh and packing a few snacks like nuts, bars, shakes, beef jerkey or whatever can't hurt either.)
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 16:04

Stats: 225/194/130 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Check about cross-border foods...

Hi,

Just a thought about the idea of packing foods. You may want to check at customs about what foods are okay to bring in - especially if there are any US stops on your way. I know there are some restrictions on what you can bring along with you - just don't want you to be disappointed.

My daughter's soccer team travels to the US (I live near Vancouver) and we always have to be careful with snack foods and even bottles of water when they are crossing the border.

Sally