Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 18:21
Registered Member

Plan: Low-Carb Diet Solution
Stats: 188/154/135 Female 65
BF:more than I want!
Progress: 64%
Default Ketostrip question

Exactly what color am I aiming for? I know the top purple means I need more water and the bottom one means I am not in ketosis, but what about all the middle ones? Which shade of purple is the beginning of ketosis? (I am on the third from the bottom right now.) Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 18:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

You are aiming for any level of ketones. If you only get to Trace, the palest pink, that IS success and you could lose well and NEVER get to the dark pink or purples.

If you are on the middle one, you are doing just fine and will lose well. Those stix are pretty cheap because they aren't all that accurate. Depending on their expiry date or how long they have been opened, the chemical that reacts with ketones may have become less reactive. So ANY change is success.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 18:54
Registered Member

Default Well, thank goodness, then!

Cool. That makes me happy. Thanks for answering my question! You wouldn't believe how frustrated I was getting trying to find this answer!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 14:48

Stats: 172.0/166/145 Female 5 feet 3inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

Where do I buy the ketone sticks?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 14:57
Rikki Tikki Tavi

Plan: Keto Clarity & Atkins
Stats: 262.5/257.6/180 Male 5'-11"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default 5 different types of ketones - only one detected

Hi,

One thing you need to keep in mind about ketosis and ketones is that the sticks only detect ONE type - there are 5 different ones the body produce.

You can be in ketosis without the strips turning purple! This happened to me and I rarely get the strips to turn even a slight shade even when I'm eating an induction diet.

Remember the strips are only a tool. These are mainly designed for diabetics! No one designed Ketone sticks for the low-carb dieter in mind.

The diabetic does NOT want to be in ketosis, because diabetes combined with ketosis, leads to ketoacidosis. This CAN"T happen to a non-diabetic on a NON-STARVATION diet.

Good luck!

PS You can get these sticks at pretty well any pharmacy. One brand, Ketostix is made by Bayer. (Reagent Stips for Urinalysis)

When I started 7 years ago, I had to go to about 6 pharmacies to find them. I suggest calling before you go!

Tom.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 15:18

Stats: 172.0/166/145 Female 5 feet 3inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

Thanks Tomsej! I've tried one pharmacy and didn't know if
they had to be "prescribed" or something. I'm pretty sure
I'm in ketosis, but would like something concrete to confirm.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 17:13
Registered Member

Default Where to go...

I get mine at Rite Aid. $14.73 for 50 sticks. Go to the pharmacy desk and ask for them.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 18:16

Stats: 211/189/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

I read on one thread, can't remember where, sorry. That you can cut them in half and save some money.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 06:28
Rikki Tikki Tavi

Plan: Keto Clarity & Atkins
Stats: 262.5/257.6/180 Male 5'-11"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Cut in half to save money?

Yes you could. But why? There are 60 in a bottle and unless you are checking 3 times a day, there is no point. I never checked more than once per day when I did, usually in the evenings.

Just be careful not to contaminate them when you cut them. That is, ensure you are using a CLEAN and DRY cutting device.

Notice too that the fore-urine is less concentrated with ketones than aft-urine. I usually wait until the end; also keeps the material from being washed off with excess urine. You'd be fine if you fill-and-dip though. Ensure the container is not contaminated.

Tom
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 07:40
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

I don't waste money on these things. I know I am in ketosis (and you'll notice this in yourself too) because my breath feels "not so fresh", and if I don't drink enough water my urine is POTENT. Also, you can be deep in ketosis and not lose an ounce.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 10:31
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsej
The diabetic does NOT want to be in ketosis, because diabetes combined with ketosis, leads to ketoacidosis. This CAN"T happen to a non-diabetic on a NON-STARVATION diet.

Actually, this isn't quite accurate ... ketosis combined with uncontrolled high blood sugars will lead to ketoacidosis. However, a diabetic whose blood sugars are kept low and controlled will have no problems with benign dietary ketosis (BDK).

Doreen