Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 16:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/251/160 Female 5' 11
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Can I suceed longterm on Atkins w/o red meat?

I have been on atkins for about 6 days :-) all because I didnt want to take provera to get my cycle. Well mother nature called me today, so I was actually very happy about that, lost about 9 pounds probably water, but still good. I am in ketosis and walk daily, and drink 64 oz of water
I have not ate red meat since december, but I was wondering if I can succeed long term with lowcarbing and no red meat??? Do other meats have higher sodium? I read on the board about bacon and water retention, so i am staying away from bacon, and ham. It looks like turkey, chicken and fish.
I just wanted to make sure whether or not I am going to have to eat red meat?? So if anyone can help me out that would be great.
peace
fg
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 17:15
Registered Member

Stats: 292.5/282/165 Female 5 feet 11 inches
BF:54.66%/54.66%/25%
Progress: 8%
Thumbs up sure you can!

Hey Fisher -
you can absolutely do Atkins long-term without beef. I rarely eat beef anymore since Mad Cow came to Washington state. I eat a lot of deli ham and turkey (the good stuff, now the pressed stuff with fillers), chicken, turkey and pork. I also like Turkey sausages a lot (trying to reduce fat intake). I am not a big fish eater, but Atkins is perfect for those who like to eat fish! You can add lots of yummy butter and make it really good! I also eat eggs every couple of days. My newest concoction is to make taco meat (with ground turkey and spices like garlic, chili powder and cumin, avoid the taco mix), then stuff an omelet with it. I add cheese and a T or 2 of salsa, top with sour cream and cilantro and its delish!
Good luck and TERIFFIC JOB so far!
Holly
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 17:16

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

If vegetarians can do long term low carb I am sure that someone who is more liberal and only cuts out red meat should have NO problem whatsoever!

Jenn
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 22:08

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Sure thing! With beef prices the way they are we don't eat it a lot. I should mention, although most people seem to think it isn't, pork is also red meat.

I'm curious why you don't eat beef. It's a decent source of iron and other minerals. I don't worry about mad cow because most of the beef in this country is butchered before the disease could ever manifest itself in the beef, and you would have to eat the meat near the brainstem and spinal cord to contract the disease. According to what I read almost all those in Britain who contracted mad cow were gardeners who had come into contact with it in bone meal.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 23:49
Bigger than ever :(

Plan: Keto
Stats: 464/280/200 Male 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

You can do it if you want to. Personally, I couldn't!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 05:36

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilaCotton
I should mention, although most people seem to think it isn't, pork is also red meat.

I thought the pork commercials always claimed that pork was the "other' white meat. I didn't know it was technically a red meat.

Jenn
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 10:15
Registered Member

Stats: 299/251/160 Female 5' 11
BF:
Progress: 35%

Thanks for all the information! I havent ate red meat since the whole mad cow scare, i know the odds of eating a piece contaminated by the spinal cord or near the spinal cord is slim to none. So for awhile I stopped eating it, then when I was going to go back and eat it, I couldnt bring myself to. Now why cant I do that with potato chips

I am doing good still, but I have one week left of induction, I have to drink more water. You know I had sugar free jello with whip cream, because it said less than one carb, I hope this is right :???:
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 23:06

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Now why cant I do that with potato chips

I know what you mean! I can convince myself a food is completely unhealthy and not touch it. I never drank tea for years because of its diuretic effect (decided it was best not to drink something that made me put out more liquid than I was taking in), even though I love tea! I can look at certain foods in the store and think 'no way I want to eat that!' Now if I could just do the same thing with cigarettes, I'd have it made! LOL

Anyway--thanks for explaining! Mad Cow is a scary disease, and if it's something you think about it could be enough to make a person stop eating beef. I love beef--just can't afford to eat it very often. We have a spot we need to fence in and turn into pasture, then we could raise our own--if only we get the time to do it!