Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 15:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 263/243/180 Male 6 0
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default A quick pick me up?

So I realize that we are not supposed to have coffee right? What the heck do you guys drink to get you up in the morning? I am a big coffee freak along with the sugar and I feel like a truck ran me over. I have cut back from a pot a day to one cup and I don't know how I am going to make. Any suggestions would be great!

Rob
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 19:59

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

A lot of us drink coffee and/or tea, as well as caffeine containing sf soft drinks.

I have several cups of tea a day. Black, no sugar. I love coffee, but my stomach doesn't, so I avoid it mostly.

Personally, I've never agreed with the caffeine-is-so-terrible theorey. I think it's a personal thing. I know people who get very jittery on 1 cup of tea, coffee, etc. I know people who have serious heart issues and caffeine can be dangerous.

I will also say that I quit all caffeine for about two month and really didn't notice a difference in how awake or alert I was or wasn't. I'm an insomniac....have been since high school and LC helps, but caffeine or caffeine free didn't seem to matter. When I got up in the morning I'd have a glass of ice water....and that woke me up as much as a cup of coffee or tea (never been a soda fan). Now my boss says she's much more alert and awake since she stopped all caffeine.

Dr Atkins was against caffeine, but not alcohol. I have no problem with caffeine, but have trouble believing alcohol is safe or good for you.

You might want to give it a few more days....after all, you're already into withdrawal.....maybe another day ot two and you'll start to feel better. If not, or if you just really enjoy it, then continue....as long as there's no medical reason to avoid it.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 20:06
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 277/258/200 Male 76
BF:27%/25%/18%
Progress: 25%

I can not give up the diet soda
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 20:33
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I personally feel that it's too much to expect of the body to kick carbs AND caffeine at the same time. To some, it's like ripping off a Band-Aid all at once..hurts like heck, but then it's over. I'm more a "pick at it until you're good and READY kind of gal. I figure the refined carbs are more harmful, so they went first. Coffee hasn't caused a lot of grief for me, so I'll keep it until it proves to be a problem for me. Everyone is different.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 20:43
Slowly I turn

Plan: Atkins restart 3-17-10
Stats: 195.5/170.6/135 Female 5'5
BF:48%/37%/20%
Progress: 41%

I don't drink coffee. I do drink tea sometimes but Diet coke gets me going every morning...I tried not having a diet coke everyday.............. can't do it.... I have a couple of diet cokes a day sometimes..... my weight is still going down so I am going to leave it as is.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 20:52
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I gave up caffeine the first 6 weeks, then decided it was too great a loss of pleasure in my life. Didn't make any difference at all. Coffee can stimulate cortisol, which tends to promote belly fat, but tea does not (catechins in the tea protect you). Green tea has MORE of these catechins, which are also antioxidants. Green tea is also mildly thermogenic, so drink it all day long if you wish.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 10:11
Registered Member

Stats: 170/160/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 29%

coffee is my little treat. For some reason with the fake sugar and a little bit of cream its tastes like an imaginary chocolate treat. Even though it doesn't really taste like chocolate I think I try and imagine it does sinces its the closest I get to that sweet taste!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 10:52

Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Red face

Cold turkey might be a bit severe. I started by mixing decaf with reg coffee. when brewing. First it was halfsies, then gradually tapered off 'til it was all decaf. And diet soda doesn't hamper me at all... Everyone is different--experiment and you'll find your own best path.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 13:40

Plan: Low Carb/Low Calish
Stats: 190/140.5/145 Female 5'7"
BF:30%/24.7%/22%
Progress: 110%

Rob - sounds like you have cut down quite a bit! Congrats! Atkins Accel contains caffeine and can give you a little boost--but it is recommended only after induction.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 13:48

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Hi thinmom2b,

Coffee tastes like chocolate - must be a long time since you had chocolate! Seriously, why not get some pure cocoa powder. One spoon, boiling water, cream sweetener...heaven and it DOES taste like chocolate.

By the way. I recently gave up coffee for a few months but have started drinking it again now. Can say I noticed any diffeence except I have more energy and I'm happier with it than without!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 16:30

Stats: 263/243/180 Male 6 0
BF:
Progress: 24%

My head is killing me honestly. I am surprised that so many are drinking coffee since Atkins was against it. Do you think maybe he was because it dehydrates the body or maybe because its a stimulant. We will see how it affects me. If I can continue drinking it I will. But the weight loss is what I am aiming for.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 22:11
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:

He was against it because he seemed to think it could stimulate an insulin response, but I think that was the one place he might not have got it entirely right. It sure never made any difference to me.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 10:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins?
Stats: 220/220/190 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress:

I know I am new here, but I just still have some basic questions. I have heard a lot of people say that if you don't read the book and follow Dr. Atkins guidelines and rules, then you are not doing Atkins. So didn't Mr. Atkins say NO caffeine. How come this seems to be the one thing that is an acceptable cheat but others things are considered no nos? Just wondering. Thanks for in thoughtful responses.

Jason
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 10:03

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:

There are many caffeine related threads here. Based on these threads (and not on some scientific research) it seems the majority (around 60%) of people here did not give up coffee (though many cut the amount back), and have not experienced adverse effect.

For me the reason to cut back was much more the diuratic effect (living in South CA, running outside a lot), but I did not give up the morning blast:-))
This is very individual. Different bodies, different reactions...

I have been not on Atkins, I do not know the reason to ban it, but is not caffeine in some ATKINS product?

Cheers:
Eva
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 10:32

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I did Induction the first time very, very strictly (no caffeine, no artificial sweeteners period, no products, etc) and lost 10 lbs (Jan 2003), then I did my second Induction (fell off the wagon for several months ) and had a big travel mug of coffee every morning and had artificial sweetener in it...lost 10 lbs!!! So, for me anyway, it didn't make one speck of difference. I agree with whoever said above that Dr. A. was against caffeine because, in high enough amounts, it can trigger cravings and insulin response. Yet again, another YMMV situation...

good luck and take care!

Nicole