Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 15:39

Plan: Mostly General
Stats: 235/235/170 Female 5 ft 4
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default What do you do when you feel you can't stick to this one more minute?

Sometimes I get so discouraged and can't seem to pull out of it.

What does everyone else do to combat this problem?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 15:40

Plan: NHE
Stats: 135/133/140 Female 64"
BF:15%
Progress: -40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaAC
Sometimes I get so discouraged and can't seem to pull out of it.

What does everyone else do to combat this problem?

what in particular is discouraging you?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 15:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/179/130 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default What do you do when you feel you can't stick to this one more minute?

My plan is to post here and feel the support from others. As I type I'm making myself a promise that whenever I feel that I'm going to cheat, first I'm going to post that on this board before I have whatever it is that I'm craving.

So that's my plan.

Are you feeling like giving up? If so, why? How long have you been on it and why are you frustrated?

We are here to help.........
Ann-Marie
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 16:47

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 188/173/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 39%

When I feel frustrated I try to do something positive, like exercise. That way I feel like I am doing something good for my body, and also helping weightloss along. I try to think before I grab a snack, ask myself if I am hungry or if this is emotional (stress, boredom...etc). Drink water.....lots of it! Best of luck!!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 16:54

Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%

Sometimes you have to give in. I mean in a good way. If you are craving chips, eat pork rinds, if you are craving something sweet just eat some lo-carb candy. (watch out for the gas!!), I mean it is better to "cheat" in a diet friendly way, then blow it all together. But, if you do "blow it", just start again tomorrow. Don't let one time stop you forever!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 17:13
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

I felt like giving in when I quit smoking, but found some legal treats to help me along threw this tough time.

Angel
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 18:02

Plan: General
Stats: 229/196/125 Female 5'3""
BF:
Progress: 32%

I think back to how much I have lost and think ahead to what I want to be if I don't give up. Sometimes, I do want to quit and sometimes I mess up, but everyday, I keep thinking I am not gonna quit, I messed up. I made a mistake but I am not gonna quit. It does get easier the longer your on it.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 18:27
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I hit myself over the head with my Dr Phil book.

Seriously, I have been struggling lately myself. It took falling off-plan and feeling like crap to remind me how much better off I am staying with it. SOmetimes, it takes the "one day at a time" approach....

I'll tell myself "I can have that (insert name of demon food) in an hour if I still want it." Then I go find something else to do for an hour. If I still want it, I'll challenge myself to go another hour on-plan....then the rest of the day..the week.....When I change my mindset from "I can never have cake again!" to "I choose not to for now, but maybe some other time."

It might sound strange, but it's one mind-game that works!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 20:13
Registered Member

Stats: 332/308/180 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 16%

I look at my weightloss stats...and remember why I'm doing this to begin with.

I want to start a small busines...which I am working on, but haven't been focusing on as much as I should lately. When someone meets me in public, I'll be a direct reflection of my company. I've worked too hard on my products for someone to perceive them as inferior--afterall, if I can't take care of myself, how can I run a business. (Yes, it's a mindgame, but it works.)
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 22:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hmmm... it doesn't happen to me. I'm committed to this for the rest of my life, guess you could say I'm a "lifer". I never got discouraged when I was eating carbs and getting fatter all the time and suffering from hypoglycemia, why should I get discouraged by changing my diet a bit?

After 14 months or so on the diet, its just second nature to me. So some weeks I don't lose, I just slog away. Maybe if I viewed this as something to suffer through I'd get discouraged, but since its just regular life, what's to be discouraged about?
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 22:53
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

Lisa,

I just try to get through that minute....

I promise you that when you start to see the results, and people start to notice, you'll want to stick to it more.

One BIG suggestion...start a journal...it's theraputic (even if I CAN'T spell) to put down your random thoughts and look at them.

Go out and look at other peoples journals... EVERYONE struggles from time to time. Give people support and you'll find people visiting your journal to give you support.

Also....try to figure out WHY you're getting discouraged. Is it a stall, something happen that day (emotional eater), want it to all disappear quicker than it arrived? If you can figure out "why" you're half way to solving the problem.

I have a thread I created for newbies....although you're not one now, there may still be something in it for you.

The thread is below...HANG IN THERE ,you've made GREAT progress. If you stick with it and get the next 33% you'll never want to go back to the way you were, and with all the supportive people here, you won't have to!!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=175492
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 22:55
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

Hi Lisa,

One more thing, I keep a pair of my biggest shorts. I just posted a pic of me in them.....just that feeling alone will help keep me where I am today!!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 22:57

Stats: 136/129/118 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 39%

It's not that I can't take it anymore, it's just that I get overwhelmed with the idea of not eating sugar and carbs like I was raised to. I've been really good though because this actually helps me out by suppressing my once voracious appetite, satiation after eating, elevated mood and energy, and my health has been 100% (no allergic reactions and a stronger immune system). Now when I think of all these things, plus the fact that I'm losing weight. I chose this WOE for me. My body is a temple!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 23:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/129.5/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 101%

Although I'm on maintenance now, I do remember how that was. What I would do while still on induction and I got the cravings, was I would just pig out on something legal, like summer sausage, or make a bunch of bacon, maybe throw in some cheese or eggs! Sounds kind of weird, but it would keep me in ketosis and I wouldn't crave much of anything after eating 6 or 7 slices of bacon and a few eggs! After awhile the carb cravings really did go away, and that is how this becomes a WOL, you forget how you used to eat all those carbs, and by the way, I didn't have to pig out like that often, the body tends to regulate itself.

Just my 2 cents worth! Good luck!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 08:17

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi

Yesterday, after eating the wrong things, I ate four bunless burgers with cheese, and just STUFFED myself full! That is one of the first times I was able to stop my mouth cravings. I was too full to want tanything else, and a little grossed out by what I ate (no veggies). It helped.

M