Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 15:12

Plan: Mostly General
Stats: 235/235/170 Female 5 ft 4
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default How do you keep yourself motivated?

I'm having some problems getting motivated this time for some reason.

I'm curious what everyone else does to stay motivated.

When I first lost weight, in 1986, long before I'd ever heard of Atkins..I was motivated to loosing weight. I drop down to 143, a tad over 50 pounds lost, but I also got told I looked "too" thin.

That may have something to do with it this time. And they also told me I looked sick, or old after loosing it all. Could it be my subconcious is holding me back this time?

Thanks to having a baby, 9 years ago, I'm still trying to get rid of the extra weight. I'm at 205 at the moment and want to get back down to at least 170 if I can.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 15:25
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: 123/123/123 Female 123
BF:
Progress: 20%

I have noticed I must stop listening to what others say in regards to how I look. Well, unless what they say is positive. When I was 50 pounds overweight and trying to lose, people were telling me I was too thin already. I have a close friend who's fiance really started getting on her case about trying to lose weight. She hated how she looked but he thought she looked fine. Turns out he only finds overweight women attractive.

You must decide what look you want and as long as it is healthy, ignore the naysayers.

That being said, I have a scrapbook of pictures of the bodies I want to have, what my goal look is. It helps me to stay motivated. I also have some skinny clothes in a trunk, and I pull them out to look at them if I start to lose faith. Tracking my progress helps. Looking at before and current pictures really helps. Also having a support system who will tell you the truth (generally like this forum here) helps beyond belief.

With your height being 5'5" and your goal weight of 165, that is very very reasonable and you will not look too thin.

Best of luck to you!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 15:33

BF:

What a wonderful idea. I never thought of posting pictures in a scrap book for that reason. Thanks.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 15:35

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much
Progress: 10%

Most people who have the gall to tell you that you're 'too thin' most likely are envious of your progress. I cannot imagine someone coming up to someone and insulting them to their face, telling someone they look terrible is an insult, however subtle they may be............

Only you can decide at which weight you are comfortable, healthy and energetic, don't worry about the crass comments from people who truly don't give a rats A** about you....

LL
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 15:37

BF:

Thanks Lucy.

Problem is, it was all family who said that. LOL Go figure.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 16:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/190/190 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

When I go to work each day and see that 6 out of 10 of my co-workers need to lose 25 to 90 pounds, that motivates me to stay LC.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 16:33

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 188/173/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I had my cousin and her mother tell me when I lost weight before that I needed to not lose anymore or my legs would be too thin. Last I heard they were both starting Atkins and my cousin commented so well on my progress this time. People get jealous. As far as what keeps me motivated....its simple.... I want to tuck a shirt in. Thats it. Like normal people, I want to tuck a shirt in and not have a huge gut sticking out looking pregnant when Im not. Best of luck in finding your motivation.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 16:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305/284/161 Male 173cm
BF:
Progress: 15%

Whats keeping me motivated right now is I'm due to be a first time father in July and I really don't want my kid to see me as a fat person and pass on all my bad habits. I eat healthily most days. Some days I forget to have a meal, which is a new thing! I've even stopped biting my nails, I've got nails for the first time since I was a little child.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 16:54
Registered Member

Plan: basic low carb
Stats: 219/202/170 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 35%

What keeps me motivated:
  • I try to make really great meals so I don't feel deprived. Treats too.
  • I'm starting to fit into my old clothes, which feels really great.
  • A few months back, before getting back on track with LC (I had fallen off the wagon a bunch of times) I bought a blood glucose meter and discovered I was basically pre-diabetic. Now with LC the numbers are optimal, all the time. Now that this isn't just a cosmetic issue for me--there are real health issues at stake--I feel more motivated to stick with it.