Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-13-01, 17:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 213/213/145
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up SACRAMENTO/ROSEVILLE/AUBURN - CALIFORNIA

Recently moved to Auburn, work in Roseville. New to LCing and would love to find a buddy!

Saw some Sacramento folks out there on this site...

Married w/ 3 children
36 years old
trying to loose 60 more pounds

TTFN
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-01, 13:16
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 351/327/199 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%
Cool Hi Mary

Welcome to the forum. I am in Sacramento and was also looking for some local folks to talk to. 38 yo, I have 2 teenagers. I have been LCing since 9/01 and it is working. Keep up the good work.

Kathie36
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-01, 09:03
Registered Member

BF:
Default Right on.

Teenagers... How fun is that! One of my three daughters is 15. The house is full of fun

I have had a couple of bad days on the Plan here lately. With the Holidays fast approaching and the eating frenzy starting... I am tempted and succumb. The office "potluck" was a problem. I brought pork rinds to dip with, but the spinach dip was yucky that way. Then I had a couple of bites of almost everything. Which added up to about 70 carbs yesterday. OOPS!

I'm going to a senior member to find out how long I have to be on the induction for this mistake....
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-01, 11:42
Registered Member

BF:
Smile Stay with it

Staying with it will keep you on the right track. I stay between 20 and 30 carbs a day. Wednesday they had a Turkey dinner at work, I went through the line a had turkey and green beans and took it back to my office and ate it. At pot lucks I bring meat or chicken and take some out first before I put it in the kitchen so that I am garanteed that I have as much as I want.

I just made a low carb pumkin pie and some candy. I can live without it. When I feel like I need something sweet I eat a carbo lite chocolate bar. It has almost 10 carbs for the whole bar but that is still within the limit. I find it easier to stay on the program if I don't try to fit to many extras in. I guess I am on induction most of the time. It should only take a couple days to put you back into Ketosis.

Keep up the good work, one meal at a time.
My daughter is 14 and son 15.

Kathie36
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 14:25

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 282/248/147 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Smile Hello Mary & Kathy!

Hello, I hope its just the holiday crunch that has quieted this thread. I'm in the bay area; alameda county and am hoping you don't mind an addition to your thread. I'm not that far away after all!

I am 37 with afew kids of my own and a few rentals as well...grandkids mostly! A well blended family!

7 months, 4yo, 6yo, 8yo and my own youngest so far 13yo. I first started Atkins last year and got a little side tracked after some health problems..unrelated to the plan. Now I'm relosing some of those same pounds and looking for some extra support especially during the holidays.
Hope your Thanksgiving's were wonderful.

Take care and hang in there.

Bsayne (Beth)
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-01, 11:09
Registered Member

BF:

Good Morning Beth,

Welcome! I had a good Thanksgiving and I hope yours was good too. The holidays are coming quickly and I am still trying to figure out how I can fit in See's candy this year. You have a house full so that should keep you busy. My kids have been great support for this WOL. Try to keep warm this weekend. I tis raining like crazy here now.

Kathie36
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-01, 22:38

BF:
Default Hey there Kathy!

Hello there! Thanksgiving was super...lots of turkey and veggies!
I was worried the rain might have washed you all away too! Seems like sometimes these threads die fast! I just joined the group a few weeks ago, but I've been LCing for a while. Started last year then had to have female surgery earlier in the yr so I stopped unfortunately...gained back almost 35...I hate re-losing!

It was easier when I was doing water aerobics on a regular basis. I watch my youngest grandbaby full time though now so although I have a gym membership I don't feel comfortable leaving the 8 mo with a stranger. Maybe after the 1st of the year...I think I would just worry about him though.

I've mostly got to get my exercise jump started. The weather has slowed me down a bit.

A thought on the Sees issue...I did try the new Atkins chocolate bar today...chocolate crunch. I think I just smelled it for the longest time! LOL But it's almost that TOM and my sweet cravings need to be satisfied occasionally! It was great! Very chocolately and creamy texture, rich and crunchy with no bad aftertaste. I didn't even eat the whole thing though it is only 2C!
not cheap though at 1.69ea but we know were worth it! What's your fav quick meal?

Bye for now!
Beth
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-01, 10:49
Registered Member

BF:
Default It is still raining

Good Morning Beth,

Yes, the rain is attempting to wash us away. I started my ark already.

I have been LCing since September. I to have regained and need to relose and that is a lot of work. I believe with this WOE we can it this time and maintain a healthy WOL. I also have a gym membership at 24hr Fitness. I keep paying the monthly dues even if I don't go because I know one day I will be in there 5 days a week. I can understand not wanting to leave your grandbaby. you will know the right time.

Do you have any tapes at home that you could do? Maybe while he is napping.

Thanks for the tip about See's but I don't know if there is anything is this world that can really replace it I too have tried the Atkins bars and others. Some of them are pretty good. I did run them through the hidden card counter and found most of them have hidden carbs, also there has been a ton of threads about them and the false labeling. I eat carbolite chocolate bars. The label says it has a couple carbs but the hidden carb counter says between 9 and 10 so when I eat it I just count them in.I found that if we want it and know the carb count we can fir it into our WOE. The carbolite Chocolate bars are 1.69 at Trader Joe's for the large one and 1.29 at Walgreen's for the small one.

My favorite meal? I don't know if I have one. I am not trying to be funny but I don't really know how to explain it. I eat bacon or sausage or side pork before I go to work. Maybe an egg too. At work I drink decaf coffee with cream.

At lunch sometimes I order pizza and eat the top off and throw the crust away, order Togo's hot pastrami sandwich and eat the inside and throw the bread away. At McDonald's I order double cheeseburger's without ketchup and the cheese between the meat so it doesn't stick to the bread and then throw the bun away. Sometimes I just go to the deli and get some meat and cheese and eat it.

At dinner I eat a steak and green beans. Sometimes I cook other meat, pork is good in the slow cooker. I also work in a restaurant a couple nights a week so I take a bowl and put in lettuce, green beans, a piece or roast and blue cheese dressing and that's my dinner.

Sometimes I make sugar free jello and eat it with reddi whip. I know that has sugar but it doesn't make me crave anything and I just count the carbs in for the day. I made the low carb cheesecake, low carb chocolate balls and pumpkin pie. I didn't care for any of them. My kids wouldn't eat them either and teenage boys usually don't care.

I notice that since I have been eating like this I am not hungry and I don't really need a lot of variety so I just stick to the same old things. I also know if you are cooking for children it is harder because they do like variety. My daughter is 14 so if she doesn't like what I am having, she makes something else or ask me to pick something up at the store on my way home. She likes meat so that is never really a problem.

You asked a question and I wrote a book

Have a good day and stay warm.

Kathie36
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-01, 10:45
Registered Member

BF:
Cool Long time no write

Hello Kathy & Beth,

Sorry about my long absence.

I've been quite busy - I had 16-24 people for 5 days over the Thanksgiving holiday - that didn't leave much time for me...

I did indulge in cranberry sauce on Thanksgiving. The day after I had a bit of yams w/ marshmallows, the day after that I made Taco Soup (pretty carby), but was back on track after those days "off". I decided to hold off on the "weigh in" until this last Friday - The scale remained at 210 (thank God).

Yesterday, it was down to 208 - Yipee! I further have decided to let Sunday be the day when I eat a reward meal and not worry about it. I was getting so mad at myself (self destructive) if I was having a "reward" item.

I have all daughters - 15, 11, and 9. They are enjoying the fact that there is more rice and pasta for them. They also enjoy going out to eat so they can see what kinds of crazy things I ask the chef to make....

I am having fun... My husband said again this weekend that he thinks he's getting the short end of the "meal" stick - I get steak and he eats spaghetti with the kids.....

bye now.....

Mary
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 00:32

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Cool hey can I join?

I live in Modesto, not too far from Sacremento, right? I have family in the Sacramento area so I go up there often.
One of my favorite meals I learned from my Aunt (who gave me the book,that started me on this WOL). She served us egg salad with real mayo on low carb bread. Mmm. It is so good and starts the day great. After eating that I'm satisfied til lunchtime.
Well, that's my favorite....unless you are talking about salmon. Now that might be my favorite. With a big fluffy salad and dijon lime dressing.
Someone in here made a low carb pumpkin pie. How did you do that? Was it a cheesecake? Let me know and where you got the recipe.
Tootles Victoria
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 00:54

BF:
Default Howdy all!

Thanks for the book Kathy! Welcome Victoria! Hey Mary glad your back! I gotta check those hidden carbs out...I haven't really slowed down too much yet so I wasn't really concerned but I didn't know they could be off that much! YIKES!

I try not to have a LC bar more than a couple times a week. But I confess at times with the hectic schedule of kid p/up times I sometimes grab one instead of the nuts to tide me over.

I think lobster and steak is my fav meal. Followed closely by FRESH Salmon w/ lemon dill and fresh garlic/butter. I'll eat anything green but I crave spinach and am looking for a creamed spinach recipe without flour. They make it at Claim Jumpers in Concord...it is sooooo good but they aren't sharing the recipe! All I know is it has Shallots, Chardonnay and a little milk.

Fast meals would have to be 0 Carb (now I'll have to check) Hot Links from safeway...Showboat Brand w/Mayo and Swiss over misc greens. But then I get a little lazy cookin' at times. George Forman grills a mean anything fast and I'm askin Santa for a bigger one!
Take care all, Oh, Victoria check the recipe section here for the Chiffon pumpin pie recipe, its suppose to be good....have you all tried the Mock Danish....that hits the spot too!

TTFN!
Beth

Last edited by bsayne : Tue, Dec-04-01 at 01:01.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-01, 00:37

BF:
Default Hey there!

Hi all-just wanted to drop a quick note and say that I found that hidden carb calculator to be truely revealing when it comes to those so called LC bars! YIKES...my fav 2.6 turned out to be 20+ I don't know how they get away with it...something about glycerine and how it doesn't effect Blood sugar!

Tried a treat you may already know about tho...Tyson Chicken wings Chili-lime 4 pcs for 2 carbs freezer section Costco fast snack or dinner...thats all just thought I'd share. I'm looking at the BFI stuff Body For Life and trying to get the supplies together to start by Jan. Nat is doing so well on it I can't really resist. You can check her journal or log if your curious!

Take care and have a super week.

Bsayne
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-01, 13:54
Registered Member

BF:
Default Cream Spinach

I have the LoCarb recipe at home. I will write it later today!

I haven't tried the lo-carb bread, but want to because my liver pate doesn't taste good on celery or pork rinds!

Glad to see the list growing in this area.

A lo-carb recipe exchange party may be in order next year! Somewhere in the "middle."

Down to 207 today!! Yippee!

TTFN
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-01, 15:59

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Talking Hey people

Hello!!!!
Mjchyzy---down to 207!!!! That's great. I'm looking forward to hitting that mark...but it'll be a while for me. But I'm down 2 more pounds, so I'm happy too. A pound at a time is fine for me. I'm sure that's how I put it on--a pound at a time. I'm thrilled that this is working.

A low carb recipe party sounds like fun. I just got a new recipe book from Fran McCullough-A Low-Carb Cookbook. I'm enjoying browsing thru it. She lists protein and carbs at the bottom of the recipe too. I tried a few of them so far, and find the book easy to use. And I got it on half.com for 4 bucks! What a deal!!!

Wow! Those hidden carbs are alarming. Here you think you're doing a good thing and they sabotage it by not being completely honest about the carb count. How do you check for the hidden carbs? I know I've read it somewhere around here, but can't remember where.
Well, bye for now. Victoria
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-01, 16:21

BF:
Default Hi all!

Great news on the 207!! I'm hoping for a whoosh of any size by the EOW! The carb calc is a linc located to the right .....of this page last in a line of links on the front page also...check it out it is amazing!
I got the same LC Book ... Fran is great!
I found a spinach recipe too thanks I'd like to see if its different than yours though! I can't eat too much spinach! I don't know If I mentioned it but FlaxOMeal Butter Pecan is my fav cereal...I miss a hot cereal when it's cold outside...I have but haven't yet tried the Vanilla Almond (i think) Didn't want to have two pkgs open at one time. There are other breads supposed LC out there I haven't tried any but Atkins yet...remember to subtract the fiber though for you Carb count!

A recipe party ... good idea...in the mean time though I'd love to hear whats working for you all! Keep those fresh ideas coming!

Bsayne