Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 03:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 369/303/220 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default The wait....the Letdown..

Your good, you eat the way your supposed to, you pass up on things that you want, knowing that your doing a good thing for your body. You wait to way yourself, Monday you say, can't weigh myself must wait, but you want too, but you know it will mean more on weigh in on Thursday. Tuesday your really good to make Thursdays numbers even better, Wednesday you are great and anxious for your reward. Thursday morning arives, you got those little butterflies, you step on the scale and BAM!!! its like someone hit you in the head with a bat, nothing.

So you say to yourself, how can this be, I was good, I was extra good. Soon your reasoning is sounding like Doctor Suess, I didn't loose weight though I ate the roast beef, I didn't loose weight though I ate roast meat, I ate them in a boat, I ate them with a goat, I ate them though I could of chose not, I ate them and carbs I did fought, I did I did, sam I am.

Don't ya just hate it, now your left with two options, try to look over your diet and cut back even more what carbs you have and make your life uncomfortable, start eating unflavored meats, and give up the comfort pleasures you got out of food, or just wait for next Thursday, but not with butterflies but with dread of being dissapointed again.

Then you sit and wonder, is all this loose clothing I swear is happening a farce, is it psycological, is it not true, and I am just thinking its loosening up, when I'm just spinning my wheels.

I have gotten this two weeks in a row I am not giving up, but it is discouraging. The truth is, I will keep eating this way for the rest of my life because I think its healthy.

But it would be nice to get a return for my effort at the end of the week..

Maybe I need to measure myself Daily so there is not wait, and no dissapointment, the letdown of doing it right, yet no weightloss hurts.

Sorry just venting to my friends...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 04:10
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hi Dave -

We're all just here tryin' to lose weight
And most of us are over age eight
so if the pounds come off a little bit late
just wait it out and don't you hate
yourself
you think you're being extra good
but it ain't coming off like you think it should
so sit back down in your neighborhood
and eat like a normal person would
yourself

I'm done here!

Liz
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 04:47
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Don't let mem'ries of Suess go cookin' your goose!
Old Doc's prose is certainly airy...
So before I blather...wouldn't you rather
a nice visit from the Whoosh Fairie!?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 05:00
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

No Seuss here -- just keep at it. You've been successful so far and will certainly start to see more results soon!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 05:20

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Heh heh...I have been threatening to write a nice piece of doggerel to celebrate my one year of low carbing, but it looks like it has been taken care of!

But seriously Dave, I SO know how you feel, and if you want to hear me whine pop into my journal in January and February of this year. The WORST is when you are extra "good," foregoing all treats, and still nothing on the scale. That is, nothing on a weekly basis. I have found that I now must measure my loss monthly. As you can see in my signature, one month I only had two pounds to record. But last month I had four. This isn't over!! (It's just slow).

Hang in there! A lot of us know how you feel.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 05:24

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

I'm not a poet either, but I like what you wrote.

I do weigh twice everyday and it takes awhile to understand how the fluctuations work. It's worth it to me so that on a daily basis I can make adjustments to my food and exercise plans the very next day. No waiting for a week to make any adjustments! I look at my morning weigh in as the real one one, but only update here on the forums once per week. I weigh at night too (it's usually 1-2 pounds higher than the morning weight) so that I can see if I ate too much during the day. That's where I can really see if I'm going to be lower in the morning. If you decide to weigh everyday, you will really have to pay attention to what foods are higher in sodium. You don't want water weight gain to throw you off. For example, I know that the low carb pizza I have will cause a water gain, so I take that in stride.

Also, consider getting a body fat monitor. It's really a great way to see how much actual fat you have on the inside. That's the one I really pay attention to... and get a thrill when the number for fat mass goes down!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 05:38

Plan: LC Lifestyles Plan
Stats: 333/240/190 Male 6'0"
BF:31.5%/26.95%/8%
Progress: 65%

Dave,

I would absolutely recommend measuring yourself - at least weekly. There are many times on this WOE that the scale won't budge but the inches will. Don't rely solely on the scale, especially if you are lifting weights or working out at all.

Like you said - the clothes are getting looser, so something right is happening. If you want to keep away from the disappointments you are talking about here - then base your results on a combination of weight loss and inches lost.

After all - which is more important?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 05:43
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Awwwww Dave!! Bless you - I know exactly how you feel!! I was exactly the same as you until I started measuring on a regular basis. Now, if I step on the scale and I have lost nothing - it still pinches me like heck, but I get the trusty ol' tape measure out and normally it tells me great things - like another 1/4 of an inch off here or there - it all goes to make you feel so much better - so dopn't worry about the scale so much - thwere are 101 reasons why it doesn't show up a loss - my tip would be this - weigh monthly - that way you're almost garaunteed to see some loss every time you get on the (urelaible - lieing - cheating - good for nothin) scale :-)
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 08:58

Stats: 372/342/185 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 16%

man - i know how you feel...i have lost one pound in two weeks and i can't find any lost inches! let's keep truckin' though!!!!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 09:12

Plan: Whole30
Stats: 300/269.2/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 31%

I know how you feel Dave - I've had no movement for three weeks then wham - UP a pound and I didn't even stray! Just keep at it - I will. I know we're doing the right thing
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 09:29

Stats: 296/258/136 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:Lots, definately
Progress: 24%

Great rhymes =) I have nothing that witty to add, hehe. I can say that I totally understand though. After the initial whoosh when I started, it is slow going, but the best thing is the way I feel, think, sleep, etc.. Once your body adjusts, it will move again =) You can do it!!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 11:18
Registered Member

Stats: 300.5/299.5/180 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 1%

Your post sounds like my morning. I have not weighed since last thursday, at which I had lost 13 lbs in one week. Probably water weight I am sure. So today is thursday again and I go to weigh myself. I was optimistic and looking forward to seeing what I had accomplished. What did I accomplish??? a half a pound. One week of carefully watching my carbs and exercising and I lose 1/2 pound. *SIGH* Needless to say it was extremely depressing.
I guess I need to change a few things....number one being my attitude. 1/2 pound is 1/2 pound. It is 1/2 less pound less that I have to carry around. 1/2 less pound that I have to lose.
Number two is that I think that I need to add more calories to my diet. I was keeping the calories low because that is what I was comfortable with at the time and I have been having difficulty finding an appetite. I will try adding more butter to veggies and maybe a tablespoon or two of olive oil to this or that.
Number three, I think that when I get home from work today I am going to take measurements. I will start keeping track of that, and will go by that to guage my progress. Sometimes the scale can be your best friend, but it seems, more often than not, that it can be your worst enemy.
So, needless to say I was very discouraged this morning, but I have not let it undermine my resolve. When I started this WOE I made a solemn committment to myself, and I will honor that. I don't post here very often,I tend to be a bit of a wallflower, but I come and read everyday. I find encouragement and hope in what many of you all have accomplished.
I hope that you don't get too discouraged. Look how far you have come! I am looking forward to the day that I can say that I have lost 66 lbs. You have already done that. That is really something to be proud of.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 13:40

Stats: 298.2/216.5/150 Female 64 inches
BF:definately....
Progress: 55%

Boy, can I relate to that! There have been a frustrating number of weeks where there is no weight loss -- or even a small gain -- when I KNOW I haven't strayed!

I manage the frustration by keeping my chart with some extra columns: one for how much weight I've lost in the last 4 weeks, and one for how much I've lost in the last 13 weeks. That way, even when the CURRENT week shows no loss or a slight gain, I can look at those two columns and know that I'm still making progress. (Now, if the 4 week one get's to 0, then I will start to worry! So far, the lowest it's been is 3 pounds.)
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 21:56
Beautifully Chaotic

Stats: 334.5/320.0/150.0 Female 63 inches / 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Sigh

I have not lost this week either, but I also did not gain. It's weird, but I physically feel like I did 20+ pounds ago, so I am rationalizing that this is just my body adjusting to the loss and fighting me at the same time. I hate the inevitable plateaus, this is usually where I step off... but not this time. I know this will work. I see it all around me in all of these posts. They give me hope and so much inspiration. I get pangs of jealousy when I see some with rapid losses, but at the same time, I am happy for them. I have also noticed, (gads) hanging skin... but, the good news is that everywhere I have researched, they all say if you lose slow your body stands a better chance of adapting and giving your skin a chance to shrink with you. After having 5 pregnancies I need all the help I can get. Then I also remember that it has taken me 40+ years to get here, so what if it takes me 2 or 3 years to get down to a healthy weight. What I am gaining by losing is another 40+ years (hopefully) of life... not a bad trade when you think about it. So, hang in there, I am going to....
  #15   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 05:35

Plan: My own
Stats: 322/277/175 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Dave!! I have felt that way many times too. I always feel like I should lose at least 20 pounds when I have a stellar week I know how unrealistic that is, but wouldn't it be grand??

I just keep trucking along - I know I'll be eating this way for the rest of my life so that helps take away the frantic feeling of losing it slowly, and I know I am healthier eating this way.

Hang in there!!

Mary