Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 10:09

Plan: atkins,eades
Stats: 300/220/185 Male 6'
BF:
Progress:
Default outraged

Hello;while Recently Shopping In The Local Store,i Was Pleased To See An Unsweetened Version Of 'silk' Soymilk Had Finally Come Out.however,i Was Surprised At What I Found On The Back Of The Carton.after Lecturing Us On The Importance Of Carbohydrates,they Finish With The Following,"...so For Those Of You On One Of Those Carbo-phobic Diets,here It Is."i Cannot Imagine Why A Company Would Want To Insult It's Customers!as A Result Of This,i Am Boycotting All
'silk' Products,and Am Asking All Low Carbers To Do The Same.thank You.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 11:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/150/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 92%

great
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 12:20

Plan: Cuttin'
Stats: 125/119/114 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 55%

So carb restriction atrophies the sense of humour? Dear me.

Must remember to be aware of that.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 13:13

Plan: atkins/pesco-veggie
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 64.5"
BF:
Progress: 50%

i think you may be taking offense too quickly: silk is often sold to teenagers, and they are simply imitating the way they speak. i'm sure "carbophobe" translates to "low carb" the same way other slang works.

compasrose,
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 16:32

Plan: generic low carb now
Stats: 210/212/145 Female 63
BF:plenty
Progress: -3%

If I read that on the back of a product, I would also be offended. Companies are in business to supply a product which the consumer is willing to purchase. It doesn't matter why I want it, so if they wish to sell, they need to appreciate my business and not make a judgement about why a I purchasing the product. Isn't that rather hypocritical?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 17:21
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecan
i think you may be taking offense too quickly: silk is often sold to teenagers, and they are simply imitating the way they speak. i'm sure "carbophobe" translates to "low carb" the same way other slang works.

compasrose,

Yes, it seems White Wave (makers of Silk soy products) does tend to use "smart a$$ talk" in their advertising. From their website, on the Soy & Health page:
Quote:
Some people claim that soy is the perfect food.

That's ridiculous. Ketchup is the perfect food. Ask any five year-old. They'll tell you.

< snip >

But don't take our word for it. There are a multitude of experts out there yapping on and on about soy. (Here's hoping you never have to sit with one of these guys on an airplane. Sheesh. They never shut up.)

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 18:22

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

I actually find it admirable that they are willing to stick their neck out and lose customers (although they won't lose my business) because they say what they think. Who cares if they don't advocate low carb? I am so sick of every last company jumping on the band wagon screaming eat low carb after xxx amount of years advocating low calorie. People are so quick to jump sides of the fence if it means making a dollar. It's not like the companies really have a clue or care about true low carbing anyway. In the end people are out to make a buck and you can't let advertising for or against anything really determine what you put in your mouth.

Jenn
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 02:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/138/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/27%/15% maybe?
Progress: 79%

The unsweetened silk I found on the shelf had 4 carbs/8 oz serving. (that's after subtracting the 1 gram of fiber) I buy westsoy organic unsweetened (not cuz of the organic- I could care less) but because it only has 1 carb per 8 oz serving. Annie